Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Row HDR Panorama with Focus Stacking  (Read 3242 times)

gmitchel850

Multi-Row HDR Panorama with Focus Stacking
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:19:51 am »

I leave for Bryce Canyon NP on Saturday. My third trip to Bryce.

I plan on bringing my 100-400mm "L" lens for maximum telephoto compression across the canyons. I'm expecting some uber-resolution panoramas.

Has anyone here attempted to combine multi-row panoramas with HDR and focus stacking? I want the panoramas to be tack sharp from foreground to background, and that's not even possible at 70mm (I know, I've done it) without focus stacking, let alone at higher telephoto ranges.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Multi-Row HDR Panorama with Focus Stacking
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 12:54:16 am »

That will be an impressive project.
Let's say 24 images (6 vertical exposures in 4 rows), times 3 HDR exposures, times 3 focal adjustments = 216 total images.

I have stitched over one hundred individual 24MP 360-degree HDR images (no focus stacking) with PTGui, so the process is feasible, but of course a fast computer with a lot of memory will help. I would do it in two passes, first pass without the focus stacking, and then combine the three (assuming focusing at foreground, middle ground, and infinity) layered panos into one.   

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 04:30:01 am »

I've done multi-row with focus-stacking, but no HDR.

3x3 grid. 5 focus points for each tile in the grid. 45 frames in total.

First, focus-stack each tile in Photoshop. Then stitch the 9 tiles in PTGui.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:55:09 am »

HDR, Panorma, phocus stacking, combined-  500 images used:

https://www.beeld.nu/beeld/stationarnhem2/index.html

50mm f11 36MP images
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:23:40 am »

I leave for Bryce Canyon NP on Saturday. My third trip to Bryce.

I plan on bringing my 100-400mm "L" lens for maximum telephoto compression across the canyons. I'm expecting some uber-resolution panoramas.

Has anyone here attempted to combine multi-row panoramas with HDR and focus stacking? I want the panoramas to be tack sharp from foreground to background, and that's not even possible at 70mm (I know, I've done it) without focus stacking, let alone at higher telephoto ranges.

It'll take many images to cover all aspects (focus Stacking, HDRI, pano-stitching) and depending on cloudcover (moving clouds and light fluctuations), and with added changing light conditions, will complicate the matter.

The HDRI's can/should be shot in rapid succession, so I would also tone-map those per image tile as a first step. Then focus stack those tone-mapped images, because one could overlook small edge halos that would be exaggerated when tone-mapped later. Then Panostitch these image-tiles which can also balance out small exposure fluctuations, or differences in White-balance, that were not perfectly adjusted in the earlier steps.

I prefer getting the individual image tiles as good as possible before stitching them, because stitched images can become very large, which also can cause trouble and slow processing when these monster files need to be HDR merged and tonemapped and/or focus-stacked.

IMHO, of course.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

gmitchel850

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:25 am »

That will be an impressive project.
Let's say 24 images (6 vertical exposures in 4 rows), times 3 HDR exposures, times 3 focal adjustments = 216 total images.

I have stitched over one hundred individual 24MP 360-degree HDR images (no focus stacking) with PTGui, so the process is feasible, but of course a fast computer with a lot of memory will help. I would do it in two passes, first pass without the focus stacking, and then combine the three (assuming focusing at foreground, middle ground, and infinity) layered panos into one.   

My thinking was similar to your, Les. Treat each focal point as a separate panorama. Process the individual panoramas first. Then focus stack the set of panoramas.

I intend to check the dynamic range with my light meter in 1% spot meter mode. By using a graduated ND filter for the sky, I'm hopeful that the Canon 5D Mk IV can handle the dynamic range without resorting to HDR. We'll see.

gmitchel850

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:59:53 am »

I've done multi-row with focus-stacking, but no HDR.

3x3 grid. 5 focus points for each tile in the grid. 45 frames in total.

First, focus-stack each tile in Photoshop. Then stitch the 9 tiles in PTGui.

Interesting, Elliot. You would do the focus stacking first. Then generate the panorama.

I planned on generating the panoramas first. Then, focus stacking them.

Why would you focus stack first? I'm curious.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:28:15 am by gmitchel850 »

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 12:44:53 pm »

Interesting, Elliot. You would do the focus stacking first. Then generate the panorama.

I planned on generating the panoramas first. Then, focus stacking them.

Why would you focus stack first? I'm curious.

It made most sense for the project I was undertaking.

I was photographing the flat ground in front of me, from about 3ft from the camera position, to about 9ft.

The bottom 3 tiles of the 3x3 grid were much closer than the top 3. Each tile comprised of 5 images focused manually, front to back. So I didn't shoot the whole 3x3 with same focus point.

For this project I tested all options, and focus-stacking first worked best. To get a seamless stitch in PTGui I had to uncheck a box or two (related to focal length, if memory serves). At the outset I thought what I was trying to do was impossible, but actually it was easy.

gmitchel850

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:45:54 pm »

It made most sense for the project I was undertaking.

I was photographing the flat ground in front of me, from about 3ft from the camera position, to about 9ft.

The bottom 3 tiles of the 3x3 grid were much closer than the top 3. Each tile comprised of 5 images focused manually, front to back. So I didn't shoot the whole 3x3 with same focus point.

For this project I tested all options, and focus-stacking first worked best. To get a seamless stitch in PTGui I had to uncheck a box or two (related to focal length, if memory serves). At the outset I thought what I was trying to do was impossible, but actually it was easy.

I plan to start with Natural Bridge. That's the smallest panorama in Bryce Canyon. Easy access from the road. Take the shots. Then drive back to Ruby's Inn and see whether everything worked out.

Experimentation is part of the fun of photography.

If all works out with Natural Bridge, then I'll go on to bigger panoramas. Otherwise, I'll forego the focus stacking element and just go with HDR panoramas of the hoodoos.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »

One advantage of focus stacking last from the completed layered panos is that you could blend them selectively / manually (although, to some it may seem like a disadvantage). 

gmitchel850

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 08:17:50 pm »

Being able to blend te layers manually at the end for focus stacking might prove to be an advantage, Les. I do not expect that the focal points will even. I expect at least three and maybe more focal points, with most being closer to the foreground than to infinity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up