Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation on shooting "light" video with stills  (Read 2446 times)

kevs

Recommendation on shooting "light" video with stills
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:39:29 am »

I'm am people stills shooter 20 years plus. Not huge fan of dealing with video. If a client says, for example, for an event shoot, 3 hours; can you do some video to. What do you recommend?  My Canon D Mark 2 is not too good.  Is my iphone sufficient for just some handheld short handheld clips?

Same question if someone wants some video on a portraits session: then time to upgrade the Canon or buy perhaps a seperate new camera with lights? Any recommendation? Thanks
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Recommendation on shooting "light" video with stills
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:17:21 am »

I'm am people stills shooter 20 years plus. Not huge fan of dealing with video. If a client says, for example, for an event shoot, 3 hours; can you do some video to. What do you recommend?  My Canon D Mark 2 is not too good.  Is my iphone sufficient for just some handheld short handheld clips?

Same question if someone wants some video on a portraits session: then time to upgrade the Canon or buy perhaps a seperate new camera with lights? Any recommendation? Thanks

As a professional feature film cinematographer, here’s my crazy thinking.

Don’t try to make a Hollywood movie. Shoot a “home” movie on your iPhone. It will be fun to watch and much more fun to shoot. Your clients will understand the nature of the video and not expect an Oscar winner.

And if they love your still photographs I think they’ll be very happy!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

kevs

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:22:13 am »

Bruce, exactly what I think. I don't believer photographers do good video and visa versa.

Thats what I said, and then lost event gig.  I should of just said yeah, I can do some video, and then not said anything about iphone.. get the gig and then show up or reveal after got the jog, it'll just be some fun short iphone clips... ie I'm a still photographer throwing in some video...  So that is events... (and natural light at event even if dark should be ok I think?)

Now in future, for those who want some "video" on a studio portrait session, what do you recommend doing/ saying?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:50:35 am »

Another cinematographer (retired) chiming in with the same advice.  Use your phone.  Hold still.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 02:20:01 pm »

Thanks Peter, great and Bruce:

final questions:

1-- on business side, just say YES, and then shut.. Don't talk process. Get the gig then simple iphone.
2- for non event/ natural light   video...   ie, when booking studio portrait strobe still sessions --  iphone still?   with whatever light is in studio.. or..??

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:39:37 pm »

Thanks Peter, great and Bruce:

final questions:

1-- on business side, just say YES, and then shut.. Don't talk process. Get the gig then simple iphone.
2- for non event/ natural light   video...   ie, when booking studio portrait strobe still sessions --  iphone still?   with whatever light is in studio.. or..??

Since you’ve worked professionally for 20 years, you probably asked this but my first question about adding video would be what are the clients expectations?   Do they want it to match quality of the stills you shoot?   Will they pay more for the added video?   Do they expect the video to be color graded?  Does the video need to record dialog from the subject(s)?

I would imagine since this is a 3 hour shoot they probably don’t want to pay more, though when you reach in your pocket, pull out a mobile phone and shoot video, remember the clients (actually) everyone in the  room has the same “video” camera as you.

As far as shooting video and stills in a studio, it depends on the scene and the studio.   If it’s a natural light studio you can probably get away with something decent, but if it’s a black out studio your modeling lights probably won’t do the trick, just not enough output.   If you want softlight a few kinoflows will work, if it’s a big set then that changes everything.    Actually decent video is a daunting task to learn. It’s not just shooting it, it’s the lights, maybe sound, camera movement, framing having at least one dit man/woman check the integrity of the files because no matter how well you calibrate your camera lcd to the computer, things look very different in the computer.

My producer has an I-phone Xpro and it shoots some pretty good stills and in the perfect conditions some ok footage, but I’d be hard pressed to get a lot of footage from it.   

Just a thought.

IMO

BC

kevs

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »

thanks BC, no; they will not pay more. And generally speaking, they don't know they want or are expecting.

For studio, if I do buy new lights for video, if you or other have any economical recommendations, please send links.

For Studio, maybe just shoot with iphone on tripod?

Again, on business front, side question, yet integral to landing gig..:   just say YES, and then shut.. Don't talk process. Get the gig then simple iphone.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 08:55:14 pm »

The client's expectations should be based on the old axiom: "you get what you pay for"
Shoot a test first under the expected lighting situation with whatever phone you intend to use.

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 01:45:16 pm »

I'd add in for a gimbal like the DJI Mobile 3, plus a directional mic setup for said mobile phone like a VideoMic Me.  Understanding the end use would be really nice, possibly behind the scenes type setup when you may want to have the phone attached to your camera.
t: @PNWMF

kevs

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:59:52 pm »

Joe, excellent, thanks again. Do you mind sending a few links for those things. Any other video or overviews of that would be great.

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 12:00:20 pm »

Mobile 3 - https://www.dji.com/osmo-mobile-3

The VideoMic Me's come in 2 flavors:
iPhone http://en.rode.com/microphones/videomicmel

and Android
http://en.rode.com/microphones/videomicme

It would also be good to do test runs with a few apps for the recording, it's a lot of trial & error on your part.
t: @PNWMF

kevs

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »

thanks Joe what is mobile 3 handheld device? Is this that much better than just hand holding an iphone. (look more professional to clients I suppose).. Also hate tripods, but I do have converter iphone to tripod.

Rode, heard of that. rolls royce of iphone mics? which model use?

" apps for the recording,"  like what? Doesn't the iphone just record on its own?
Pages: [1]   Go Up