Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Wrap Kits in Australia  (Read 822 times)

datack

Canvas Wrap Kits in Australia
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:57:37 pm »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone one know of any kits or systems available for purchase in Australia that are similar to Breathing Color's EasyWrappe system?
I'm an enthusiastic amateur with a P800 and I'd love to have a go at printing on canvas, but I'd rather have a nice simple system like the EasyWrappe than try and stretch and staple myself, especially as this would be something I wouldn't do very often.

I can get the EasyWrappe from BC directly, but the shipping to Australia is essentially the same as the cost of the product so it's super expensive.

Has anyone from Australia (or NZ or even Asia is probably cheaper than US delivery) used anything?

Cheers,
Duncan

mearussi

Re: Canvas Wrap Kits in Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 11:50:18 am »

All of the various canvas wrap kits (Breathing Color, Hahnemuhle, Innova, etc) are made by the same company in Canada, GoFrame: https://www.goframe.com/contact

I order from them and prefer their Pro line:

https://www.goframe.com/usa-purchase#!/1500-PRO/c/21372121/offset=0&sort=normal

You can order directly from them, though their web site is not the easiest to use. Don't know whether they ship to Australia but you can always ask.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 12:11:26 pm »

Looks like they may have an AU division.

https://www.goframe.com/au-coming-soon

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 06:34:54 pm »

Strange that you also ask the same question I was looking for an answer for yesterday.
I decided to try just buying the stretcher bars on ebay. I haven't received them yet but it looks a reasonable solution for panoramic pictures.
The problem with the P800 is of course the maximum width.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

datack

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:02:06 pm »

All of the various canvas wrap kits (Breathing Color, Hahnemuhle, Innova, etc) are made by the same company in Canada, GoFrame: https://www.goframe.com/contact

I order from them and prefer their Pro line:

https://www.goframe.com/usa-purchase#!/1500-PRO/c/21372121/offset=0&sort=normal

You can order directly from them, though their web site is not the easiest to use. Don't know whether they ship to Australia but you can always ask.

Great to know where they come from - but I somehow doubt that shipping from Canada to Australia will be any cheaper! :)

datack

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 08:06:28 pm »

Looks like they may have an AU division.

https://www.goframe.com/au-coming-soon

Interesting! I might have to give Photo Direct a call to see what they have as that's where the AU link points to.

On their site they seem to have some of the kits. They at least have the bars, and the description talks about cutters and reusable corners etc - but I can't find them on the site.
https://www.photodirect.com.au/product/ig-canvas-wrap-solution/

datack

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 08:08:37 pm »

Strange that you also ask the same question I was looking for an answer for yesterday.
I decided to try just buying the stretcher bars on ebay. I haven't received them yet but it looks a reasonable solution for panoramic pictures.

Bob you'll have to report back on how you went. I'd like to get into it, but I was really hoping for the kit as a lazy mans solution that looked so neat and efficient without needing any additional tools :)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »

Bob you'll have to report back on how you went. I'd like to get into it, but I was really hoping for the kit as a lazy mans solution that looked so neat and efficient without needing any additional tools :)
Will do. It is not difficult. You need a staple gun and ideally a canvas stretching tool.
The thing I liked was that I can buy the bars and just put them in a corner. I bought some of every size. Then I can make any size frame I need depending on the aspect ratio of the print. Limited by the printer width of course to around 350mm.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mearussi

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 12:24:36 am »

Will do. It is not difficult. You need a staple gun and ideally a canvas stretching tool.
The thing I liked was that I can buy the bars and just put them in a corner. I bought some of every size. Then I can make any size frame I need depending on the aspect ratio of the print. Limited by the printer width of course to around 350mm.
[/quote/

You don't need a canvas stretching tool with the GoFrame kits.

datack

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:00:57 am »

Emailed Photo Direct and they have the GoFrame bars and tools in stock.
They sent me a price list as they don't have them online and they are pretty reasonably priced.
Plus postage to Perth from over east is only AU$25 if the total value is under $500, or free if over. That is a lot better than the approximately AU$300 shipping it would be from the US!

So thanks @mearussi for the info about Go Frames.

Now to order some and see if they work well! Shame I only have a 17" printer (P800) so I'd struggle with a 14" width unless and probably should stick to 12" max. Still, I can do some nice pano's at 12" x 30".

mearussi

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:33:55 am »

Emailed Photo Direct and they have the GoFrame bars and tools in stock.
They sent me a price list as they don't have them online and they are pretty reasonably priced.
Plus postage to Perth from over east is only AU$25 if the total value is under $500, or free if over. That is a lot better than the approximately AU$300 shipping it would be from the US!

So thanks @mearussi for the info about Go Frames.

Now to order some and see if they work well! Shame I only have a 17" printer (P800) so I'd struggle with a 14" width unless and probably should stick to 12" max. Still, I can do some nice pano's at 12" x 30".
Make sure you get the Pro line as the cheaper line has a tendency to twist in larger sizes. For the cheaper line stick to 11x14. A 12x18 is borderline. Also a soft pliable 100% cotton canvas puts less stress on the bars and helps minimize twist vs a stiffer poly/cotton canvas.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:24:12 am by mearussi »

mearussi

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 10:53:14 am »

A few canvas finishing tips:

All canvas has to be coated to protect it, ideally with a aqueous varnish of some sort and ideally applied with a HVLP gun. But if you don't have the room for a spray booth setup and have to use a roller instead then be aware that with all glossy/luster canvas a roller will lift the ink, you must use a matte canvas if you use a roller.

Always give the canvas 24 hours (at room temperature) for the water in the ink to evaporate before applying the coating.

Even though 100% cotton works best for stretching it has a drawback when using aqueous varnish. If the varnish is applied too heavily the canvas will warp when it dries making it unusable. The way to prevent this is either to carefully apply three very thin coats of varnish letting each coat dry before applying the next or first spray a solvent varnish on the canvas before applying the aqueous one. This will prevent the canvas from absorbing the water. It will also allow you to use a roller with glossy/luster canvas.

The aqueous varnish that I've found works the best is Premier Art's Eco Print Shield. Applied in three very thin coats is produces no streaks and also drys relatively fast (total time for the coating process is around 1 hour).  I've also used Breathing Color's Timeless and Glamour II but didn't care for either as the Timeless drys so fast that I could never get rid of streaks (it was specifically designed for HVLP) and Glamour II takes 24 hours to fully dry making it too slow for me.

The spray-on solvent varnishes I've used (Hahnemuhle, Moab and Premier Art's Print Shield) all work well. Again I apply three light coatings instead of one heavy one.

I have no idea what brands are available to you in Australia but of the ones available in the U.S. these to work for me.

Good luck

enduser

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 05:35:59 pm »

We used http://gicleemedia.com.au/gms43/home.php and found their stretcher bars and spray very good products.

datack

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:16 am »

Just as a quick update, I've ordered a few various sizes of the canvas wrap kits from Photo Direct, so when they turn up and I get a chance to try them out I'll update this post.

I have some sample canvas rolls to try, now I just need some varnish and I'll be ready to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up