Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewfinder for Hasselblad 38mm SWC  (Read 2992 times)

EinstStein

Viewfinder for Hasselblad 38mm SWC
« on: February 03, 2020, 01:44:14 am »

There are three types of view finder for Hasselblad 38mm camera (SWC, SWC/M, 903, or 905).Two are from Hasselblad, the third is from Cosina. I am looking for suggestions from the experienced users. ParticularlywhenITinvolvesmulti-formats。

This  is my take on them. But first let me explain my usages.

I am using the camera for both digital back and films. The digital back is roughly 48mm x 36mm. It is 4x3 aspect ratio. The film could be 54mm x 54mm or 54mm x 24mm (yes, a simple hack to use 35mm film in panorama format).

All three viewfinders mentioned above are in square format, but Hasselblad old version can be easily added with a format modification mask right out of the front glass. This version also has the advantage to peek the spirit level on the camera. The newer Hasselblad feels somewhat better than the older version, but lack of the capability to modify the frame to match the film or digital back. The Corsica version has the best feeling but can not be modified at all for the varying film format.

At this point, it seems only the old version Hasselblad is usable for both digital back and the film. The Corsica may be modifies by changing the internal frame mask glass, but I heard very discourage comments that it is not recommended unless by the experts and with professional equipment, particularly on making the required frame mask.

I am hoping the new Hasselblad finder can be modified somehow as what can be done on the old version.

Any suggestions?

Balafre

Re: Viewfinder for Hasselblad 38mm SWC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 02:30:05 am »

Hello,

As a former 905 addict, I always used the original Hasselblad ground glass version mounted to a tripod, sometimes with the chimney viewfinder to frame and compose, as precision mattered. I used it with both film and digital backs.
It had the capacity to focus from 1m to infinity so could be used hand-held and informally, but unless you had it on a tripod the top-mounted view finder was always inadequate for anything other than approximation. Inevitably the body moved slightly when the vertical spring mounted shutter release was depressed, even if a cable release was also employed.
You don't mention what you're shooting but I sense you want precision while hand holding?

Regards

C.

chrismuc

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:34:01 am »

Voigtlander zoom viewfinder does it all

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 11:25:48 am »

I think you are talking about the M43 aspect ratio version (version B?). That may work for the 48mm x36mm digital back shooting horizontally. Shooting vertical is not as convenient. Of course, I can rotate the whole camera (instead of rotating the back).

I have not used it before, will try to compare it with the original finder with DIY add-on frame mask. Since the add-on frame mask can have both the vertical and horizontal 48x36 frame lines as well as the 54x24 panorama frame line, I suspect it might still work better than the voigtlander zoom finder.

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:31:25 am »

Hello,

As a former 905 addict, I always used the original Hasselblad ground glass version mounted to a tripod, sometimes with the chimney viewfinder to frame and compose, as precision mattered. I used it with both film and digital backs.
It had the capacity to focus from 1m to infinity so could be used hand-held and informally, but unless you had it on a tripod the top-mounted view finder was always inadequate for anything other than approximation. Inevitably the body moved slightly when the vertical spring mounted shutter release was depressed, even if a cable release was also employed.
You don't mention what you're shooting but I sense you want precision while hand holding?

Regards

C.

You are quite right. Using the back peeking focusing screen will be absolutely accurate. Besides, it has the vantage to measure the lighting and distance altogether. But is requires to use tripod and to switch the focusing set and the real back. But the whole purpose of using 38mm Biogon instead of 40mm+50x body it lost.

Balafre

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:35:36 am »

...But the whole purpose of using 38mm Biogon instead of 40mm+50x body it lost.

You're possibly right and I'm very intrigued. What please is the whole purpose of using 38mm Biogon instead of 40mm+50x body ? :)

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 08:47:28 am »

You're possibly right and I'm very intrigued. What please is the whole purpose of using 38mm Biogon instead of 40mm+50x body ? :)

Size. And slightly less distortion.

popel75

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:38:47 am »

All apologies I am new here :) I am intending to use my dad's SWC/M Hasselblad (with the bubble on the body) with 120 film (A12 back). It has no viewfinder hence looking for one, yet I'd prefer alternatives to the orgnal one or the Voigtlander angle finder 6x6 15 mm which are both quite eexpensive. The Voigtlander zoom viefinder is available and seems to fit the bill, could someone tell me if it suits a SWC 6x6 format ? Why type B and not type A ?

popel75

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 07:59:01 am »

Oh I got it, if my math is correct the Voigtlander zoom viewfinder could be used as a viewfinder for the 6x4.5 format (A16 back) set to APS-H and 18mm
Pages: [1]   Go Up