Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One and Topaz Denoise AI 2.0 workflow recommendations  (Read 2142 times)

PhilippeRouquet

• Numinoos Nature Photography
Capture One and Topaz Denoise AI 2.0 workflow recommendations
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:04:11 am »

I am new to Topaz Denoise AI (2.0) and a fairly experienced user of C1. I have experimented a bit with noisy images from my C1 catalog. I have tried the program from C1 using "Open with" on a new variant and the "edit with" that creates a Tiff file.

Now, from what I have understood, It is best to start noise reduction early in the RAW or TIFF processing workflow.

I can see 4 ways of processing for noise reduction (?), but I am not sure which is the recommended way when working with C1 Pro:

1) Under C1, use "Open with Topaz Denoise" on new variant of a NEF file with C1 Noise reduction and Sharpening set to none and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised NEF as usual, namely, Base Characteristics, WB, exposure, layers, etc.
2) Under C1, use "Open with Topaz Denoise" on new variant of a NEF file keeping C1's default Noise reduction and Sharpening and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised NEF as mentioned in step 1
3) Under C1, create a new variant of a NEF file with C1 Noise reduction and Sharpening set to none and use "Edit with Topaz Denoise" on new Tiff file and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised Tiff as mentioned in step 1
4) Under C1, use "Edit with Topaz Denoise" on the original NEF keeping C1's default Noise reduction and Sharpening to create a new Tiff file and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised Tiff as mentioned in step 1

Any recommendation on best way to proceed for noise reduction with Topaz Denoise?

Philippe

IanSeward

Re: Capture One and Topaz Denoise AI 2.0 workflow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 01:52:23 pm »

I am new to Topaz Denoise AI (2.0) and a fairly experienced user of C1. I have experimented a bit with noisy images from my C1 catalog. I have tried the program from C1 using "Open with" on a new variant and the "edit with" that creates a Tiff file.

Now, from what I have understood, It is best to start noise reduction early in the RAW or TIFF processing workflow.

I can see 4 ways of processing for noise reduction (?), but I am not sure which is the recommended way when working with C1 Pro:

1) Under C1, use "Open with Topaz Denoise" on new variant of a NEF file with C1 Noise reduction and Sharpening set to none and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised NEF as usual, namely, Base Characteristics, WB, exposure, layers, etc.
2) Under C1, use "Open with Topaz Denoise" on new variant of a NEF file keeping C1's default Noise reduction and Sharpening and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised NEF as mentioned in step 1
3) Under C1, create a new variant of a NEF file with C1 Noise reduction and Sharpening set to none and use "Edit with Topaz Denoise" on new Tiff file and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised Tiff as mentioned in step 1
4) Under C1, use "Edit with Topaz Denoise" on the original NEF keeping C1's default Noise reduction and Sharpening to create a new Tiff file and apply AI Clear or AI Denoise as needed. Back in C1, process the denoised Tiff as mentioned in step 1

Any recommendation on best way to proceed for noise reduction with Topaz Denoise?

Philippe

If you use the C1 "Open With" command then you send the raw file to whatever program is chosen.  Unless this is DXO-Photolab 3 this is not a good choice because it means that the external program will demosaic the raw file. Although Topaz Denoise can demosaic a raw file its demosaic engine is "automatic" and thus very basic, and no where near as good as C1.  Even Topaz do not recommend doing this. Your option 3 is confuding as when you use the "Edit With" command C1 creates a new tif file anyway.

Therefore use C1's "Edit With" command on the original NEF with its default noise reduction but no sharpening.  Sharpening increases noise and this is best done in Topaz Denoise.  Effectively you are "polishing" the C1 Noise reduction.  There are threads on other forums showing examples of applying denoise in the normal raw converter and then "polishing" in Topaz is beneficial.

Hope this helps.

Ian

PhilippeRouquet

• Numinoos Nature Photography
Re: Capture One and Topaz Denoise AI 2.0 workflow recommendations
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 06:00:15 pm »

OK, I understand. "Open with" invokes the derawtizer of Topaz DeNoise which is inferior to that of C1.
It is best to do "Edit with" on the original file NEF with no sharpening but with the default noise reduction setting.

Many thanks Ian, this very helpful.

Philippe
Pages: [1]   Go Up