Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX 100 on a View Camera  (Read 1313 times)

Colwyn

• www.colwyngriffith.com
GFX 100 on a View Camera
« on: January 30, 2020, 06:14:27 pm »

Hi all,
just wondering if anyone here has used the new Fuji GFX 100MP on a view camera set up with digital lenses that can handle its sensor and render well? I assume  that my imprecise Sinar F1 would have to be switched for a Sinar P3, an Arca Swiss M Line MF-two, or a Cambo Actus- for the GFX? I imagine that the P3 and the M-line would be firmer and more precise, than the ACTUS. Either way, does anyone have any experience building a good set up for it?  I would like to be able to shoot in studio and on very rare occasions, outside.

thanks
Col

Akaru

Re: GFX 100 on a View Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 11:06:25 pm »

Iā€™m not familiar with Sinar. But the mf2 would be a great option for studio, and be fairly portable. Actus db2 would give less movements but in a smaller package, as would the Universalis. Others will chime in with other options. If you know your lenses and expected use, that would help. But as generic advice the mf2 would be my choice.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:41:51 pm »

Not familiar with the Sinar or the GFX but the same general experience applies.
A "good setup" is unlikely.
A view camera is a camera in itself. It is made to have a sensor or film located on the backplane.
When you attach another camera to it then you are moving that sensor a lot further back.
That is the sum of the flange distance plus the adaptor that you use.
Measure that distance and add it to the thickness of the camera and that becomes something like the minimum focal length lens you can use if you want to focus at infinity.
But it gets worse. You now have effectively a smaller sensor because it is further back and so you get a massive crop factor.
OK for studio work maybe but pretty useless for landscape.
If you want to use a view camera then you would be much better off with a Digital back.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:52:37 am »

Col..... The '100' on a view/tech camera is perfectly fine as long as you understand the limitations.  The sensor sets deeper than any other mirrorless and that limits the widest lens that can be used.  Its size is more of a limitation on the Cambo than the Arca but requires additional accessories on both due to size.  I had one for a short period of time and used it on a Cambo.  Widest lenses depend on FFD but you should think about 70mm as maybe the widest with movements.

Victor

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:55:44 am by vjbelle »

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:12:27 am »

But it gets worse. You now have effectively a smaller sensor because it is further back and so you get a massive crop factor.

Don't understand this at all.  There is no crop factor because the sensor is further back.  If you think you are correct then please elaborate.....

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up