Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX 100 frustration  (Read 1295 times)

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
GFX 100 frustration
« on: January 26, 2020, 03:47:49 pm »

Hi Fuji users,

GFX100-
I had to reassign all the functions away from the back-wheel except for the zooming in, since I can't turn it without engaging the zoom function. Compared to the front wheel, which sticks out nicely and is therefore easy to turn, the one in the back is further in, much too far in my opinion.
hopefully there is a fix for that...what is your experience with that ?
cheers, stephan

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: GFX 100 frustration
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 04:42:27 pm »

Hi Fuji users,

GFX100-
I had to reassign all the functions away from the back-wheel except for the zooming in, since I can't turn it without engaging the zoom function. Compared to the front wheel, which sticks out nicely and is therefore easy to turn, the one in the back is further in, much too far in my opinion.
hopefully there is a fix for that...what is your experience with that ?

I haven't given up and changed the assignments, but I've been frustrated by how easy it is to invoke the press-to-click mode of the GFX 100 back wheel. I don't have any problems with the GFX 50x cameras.

Jim

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:28:38 pm »

Ditto.  My 50s was “just right.”  The GFX 100 is too easy to press the fn button when wanting to rotate the wheel.  I’ve taken to  using an exaggerated sideways swipe starting “on the body” rather than the wheel.  It’s a kluge, but it helps.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

chrismuc

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:41 am »

For my personal taste the UI of the Fuji X-T3 is the very best with dedicated dials for aperture, exposure time, ISO and exposure compensation and the many direct-access buttons which allows to mostly avoid digging into the menu.
The GFX 50s was one step backward removing the exposure compensation dial but I still like it 'second best'.
The GFX 100 UI is now so crippled that it is IMO on uninspiring Sony A7 level. To waste the left side of the top plate only for switching between still and video is totally dump, the lack of dedicated dials on the right side is reducing the fun factor and the usage convenience a lot, at least for me.
Switching between GF lenses with aperture ring on the lens and Canon lenses with smart adapter is also very uncomfortable, I find it hard to configure a good second set-up quick to enable and suitable for such third party lenses.
Another issue: I programmed one button to toggle eye-detection on/off but neither the EVF nor the back screen show any sign for the status of the eye-detection function.
So the camera is really a mixed bag and IMO a bit a missed opportunity for Fuji. As much as I like Fuji camera systems and their lenses, I really can’t understand why they offer so many different user interfaces for different camera types (for example GFX 50s/ GFX 50r/ GFX 100 or X-T series/ X-H series/ X-E series/ X-Pro series) which makes it photographers so uncomfortable to switch quickly from one camera to another within the Fuji ecosystem.

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 03:25:02 am »

I am a very satisfied Fuji camera user but I really dislike the complete lack of UI knowledge from Fuji side. On each new model the positioning has been changed (we haven’t got a clue ourselves, let’s try something different…). On some models even the D-pad has been removed and replaced by touch screen functions. What have they been smoking?

Let’s not even talk about the positioning of the Q-button. Worst in class.

The first thing that Fuji should do is to acknowledge their lack of skills in this department. Then they need to take a very close look at the UI of Canon, Nikon or Olympus pro-models and just copy their design. That includes the design of the vertical hand grip. You expect the button layout at the same hand positions when rotated 90 degrees.

Regards,
Jaap.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:30:01 am by JaapD »

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 07:14:11 am »

I concurr with all of you.
Might call the service rep and ask, if it is possible the put a front wheel into the back, since I have now discodered that the grooves are rougher on the front one and it is therefore, in addition to the the more protruded fit, easier to turn without pressure.
Cheers
Stephan

chrismuc

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:36:58 am »

I am a very satisfied Fuji camera user but I really dislike the completely lack of UI knowledge from Fuji side. On each new model the positioning has been changed (we haven’t got a clue ourselves, let’s try something different…). On some models even the D-pad has been removed and replaced by touch screen functions. What have they been smoking?

Let’s not even talk about the positioning of the Q-button. Worst in class.

The first thing for Fuji should do is to acknowledge their lack of skills in this department. Then they need to take a very close look at the UI of Canon, Nikon or Olympus pro-models and just copy their design. That includes the design of the vertical hand grip. You expect the button layout at the same hand positions when rotated 90 degrees.

Regards,
Jaap.

Yes, the Q button is another PITA. 1. I don't need it but it cannot be deactivated or reprogrammed for another function and 2. it is enabled much too easily by accident due it's too prominent position

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:33:18 am »

“.. . The GFX 100 UI is now so crippled . . .

While I have issues with the rear command wheel, I disagree w/ this assessment of the camera’s total UI.  The more I use my GFX 100 the more I see the thinking behind the design / UI choices.   I like it very much.  It’s just “different” from my other X cameras and different from my former GFX 50s.  The removal of the EC dedicated dial is no big deal.  Just set the EC button to “switch” function, push it once, and the rear command wheel is EC.  The left mode dial and drive button is quite simple, once I “got it.”  Pretty elegant, actually.  It has taken several iterations of making assignments to Fn buttons that are optimal for my work flow, but I’ve not got it dialed in very well. 

I’m hoping that with use the tendency for the rear command wheel to get “button pressed” when rotating left/right might improve with use.

There is one firmware change that is a MUST in my view.  The Fn buttons that get locked out w/ the vertical shutter release lock should be able to be remain active and only the vertical shutter release itself locked when in “lock” position.

Rand

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:06:09 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:03 pm »

Yes, the Q button is another PITA. 1. I don't need it but it cannot be deactivated or reprogrammed for another function and 2. it is enabled much too easily by accident due it's too prominent position

In addition to reprogramming various function buttons, I still have the Q button problem. Plus, I keep inadvertently changing either the ISO or shutter speed in manual by bumping the dials.

My solution is to make the (unmarked) function button above the Q button my Lock/Unlock button. I have set up "Selected" locks on various things I don't want to change by accident, and turn on or off the selected lock using that function button.

It's a giant waste of both a function button and my time, especially when I do want to make a minor change and have to turn it off, make the change, and remember to turn Lock back on.

As I've said before, if Fujifilm wanted to implement the modern button/dial interface, they should have just paid Canon to use the 1Dx user interface. Marked buttons, everything falls into place under the fingers, easy navigation on the LCD screens, and a physical Lock switch that can be configured to lock everything.

I'm not sure who Fujifilm hired to design the UI for the GFX-100, but it appears that they didn't talk to photographers about it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up