Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt and shift with a Fotodiox adapter and M645 lenses  (Read 820 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Tilt and shift with a Fotodiox adapter and M645 lenses
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:46:36 pm »

I recently tried out the Fotodiox tilt/shift adapter for M645 lenses on my EOS RP and have been very impressed with how useful my old M645 lenses have become. It's even upped the likelihood of me getting Canon's high MP 'pro' mirrorless when it appears ;-)

There's much more movement possible in the adapter 'gap' for M645->RF than M645->EF and ±15mm of shift is eminently usable with the 35/55/80/210mm lenses I tried.

If anyone is curious, I've written up some notes about using tilt and shift with these lenses and examples at:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/fotodiox-tilt-shift-lens-adapter/

Paul_Roark

Re: Tilt and shift with a Fotodiox adapter and M645 lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:44 pm »

I've been a big fan of tilt/shift lenses for years, having had an array of the Canon SLR T/S products.  One of the negatives of moving to the Sony a7r series was a lack of such for that platform.  However, I'm happy to report that the old Canon FD 35mm T/S works great on it via one of the standard adapters.  Of all the Canon T/S lenses, the old 35mm FD was my favorite; so I'm a happy camper. 

I might add -- and this is relevant to all of these optics -- that one "cost" of the wider image diameter that is needed for these T/S optics is a lower resolution.  You don't get something for nothing.  That said, the good news is that the Topaz AI Gigapixel software takes care of that problem nicely.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Shiftworker

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:49:30 pm »

If you already have the 24mm TS-E II you can add the EF 1.4 mkIII and get a 35mm shift lens with nearly 17mm of shift.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:26:19 pm »

If you already have the 24mm TS-E II you can add the EF 1.4 mkIII and get a 35mm shift lens with nearly 17mm of shift.
Indeed, I keep meaning to get one to see how it performs with respect to vignetting from shifting.

All my M645 lenses (and a large box of related Mamiya cameras/bits) were a 'donation' some 20 years ago...

guido

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:49:52 pm »

I have very good results from the 1.4x converter with the TSE 45 and 90 lenses too. The TSE 90 works pretty nicely stopped down a bit with the 2x as well...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:00:57 pm »

Clyde Butcher uses medium format lenses with his SOny A7R through a Cambo Actus bellows for tilts and swings etc.
https://clydebutcher.com/about-the-artist/technical-information/

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 03:28:50 am »

Thanks for the reminder
I picked one up (used) quite cheaply and have written up a look at its use - definitely improved over when I tried one of the earlier versions.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/teleconverters-and-shift-lenses/
When I've got the time I'll do a companion article about tilt and close-up use

The M645 x2 teleconverter I've got in my collection also works with the Fotodiox adapter, but is perhaps of less day to day use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up