Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how'd I do with these displayCAL display profiles?  (Read 1307 times)

kimballistic

how'd I do with these displayCAL display profiles?
« on: January 21, 2020, 04:24:06 pm »

Hi all.  I have two LG 24" 4K UltraFine monitors (released in 2019) attached to my MBP.  For better or worse, they are what most meet my needs & requirements for the variety of computing that I do.  I know, they're not of NEC or Eizo quality.

I'm using displayCAL with a new X-Rite i1Display Pro to profile both my monitors.

My left monitor has a measured whitepoint of about 7000K and a verification warning regarding "Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00" of 9.17 ("NOT OK").

My right monitor has a measured whitepoint of about 7300K and a verification warning regarding "Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00" of 5.71 (also "NOT OK").

I could definitely see a distinct color difference on a grey background when comparing both monitors.

After some googling I re-profiled both monitors with a calibration target of 6500K.  I didn't change any monitor settings-- they don't have any settings to change!  Now my whitepoint ΔEs on both monitors are 0.35 and 0.15 respectively (finally an "OK ✔✔").

I also no longer see a difference in color between the two.

If possible, I'd just like a sanity check on what I've done.  The monitors are of course now warmer than with their earlier profiles, and I'm a little unsure of which white point I should be using.

For what it's worth I've learned a lot about color management via forum osmosis, but I know I have a lot of knowledge gaps ("unknown unknowns") that I need to fill.  I have Bruce Fraser's Real World Color Management 2nd Edition in transit as I type this.  But I'm also aware it will take me time to digest that book and in the meantime I'd like to continue processing my images and begin to order prints that I've soft-proofed via print-shop-supplied ICC profiles.

Any direction you can point me in would be great.  I've attached the 4 different displayCAL verification reports.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: how'd I do with these displayCAL display profiles?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:03:27 pm »

Hi,

I am wondering how these monitors have worked out for you? I'm thinking of buying one.

I currently have an NEC 2490WUXi2, which has been a good monitor but is now a bit long in the tooth. It's lower resolution (1920 x 1080) seems to be responsible for the slightly blurry images that I see in Capture One 20. I have seen posted here and elsewhere that this can be corrected by upgrading to a higher resolution monitor. I'm using a 2018 Mac Mini running 10.14.6

How well have you been able to calibrate the LG monitors?
Jay W Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up