Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New Canon Pro 1000 horizontal lines on Matte Paper  (Read 5578 times)

hakizu

Brand New Canon Pro 1000 horizontal lines on Matte Paper
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:21:32 pm »

Hi Guys, experiencing an issue as mentioned in subject and looking for any kind help and advice.

After initial set-up I tried few test prints on Canon semi gloss paper A4, Permajet Ultra Pearl 295 A2 etc and all seemed to be fine until I tried Photo Matte
Paper from Tecco brand called Tecco PM 230 with downloaded profile for speciefied paper and printer TECCO_pro1000_PM230_MPP.icc and also Canon Matte MP-101 with their own profile for this paper CN_PRO-1000_500_MattePhotoPaper-P.icc. I experience very light visible lines that are horizontal lines (as the paper going out of the printer / parallel with the head movement).I tried different settings and profile combination. I tried to lift the head higher too in the menu from standard to high just to see if it couldn't be caused with low head setting etc. I tried Manual Feed as well with same result.I also tried premium matte paper with maybe a small bit better result but lines were still visible under controlled light I use for checking the prints.
I also tried auto head aligment where I spotted few unprinted lines on the printed chart on grey, black and magenta color so I checked the initial head aligment chart which was done on provided matte paper MP-101 and lines are there too on same colors. So I don't know if that could affect the mentioned problem.
I printed on the matte paper dirrectly from windows and also from printing software Qimage Ultimate with same result. Setting in the driver is as followed on the picture print screen. I tired image quality from high to highest with little bit better result on the highest quality where lines seems to be at greater density but still there. I tried both drivers for this printer XPS and standard one both same results. I updated the last firmware from menu of the printer. I calibrated the printer from its menu using Canon photo paper pro luster.
One thing I didn't try yet is head cleaning, I printed nozzle check pattern and it is perfect on the sheet. I don't know if there is service mode menu with this printer as on my 24" canon iPF6100 where I can print nozzle1 pattern where its printed without bypassing function of canon pronter for clogged nozzles. If there is then it would show more realistic nozzle check. BTW I do not have any problem like this with above mentioned Canon iPF6100.

Thank you very much.

Please see attached pictures with description:

JPG 01-02 Tecco PM230 paper
JPG 03-04 Canon Matte paper
JPG 05-08 initial head aligment cheets with unprinted lines on Bk,M,greengrey strip
JPG 09-17 auto head aligment after few days to initial installation with 3sheets in total with unprinted lines on same colors and gret too
JPG 18-19 lines on printed greeting cards sheet of Tecco PM230

Doug Gray

Re: Brand New Canon Pro 1000 horizontal lines on Matte Paper
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »

It's not head alignment. I've not seen anything like that. Interesting that it occurs with different colors.

I'd remove the print head then re-seat it. Might be a poor electrical contact but  good enough to work with nozzle checks. Just a guess.

Since the nozzle check is good, it may also be some issue that only shows up when all the drivers for a particular ink are firing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:59:19 pm by Doug Gray »

hakizu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 03:57:44 am »

Thank you for suggestion. I've open case for service request from Canon Ireland but no reply from them yet.
The printer is brand new and should work straight perfectly out of the box.
Thought it could do something with the fact that on head aligment sheets are colors charts with unprinted lines. It almost look to me like if on those colors at those places of head aligment sheets do not fire nozzles.
Its exactly black, magenta and grey and if they are Matte inks of those colors it could explain it happens on matte papers only??

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:34 am »

It is a feed adjustment problem. Execute feed adjustment for the selected media type.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 08:39:53 am »

I would try using the rear manual feed (it appears you're using the top one) and see if it repeats. It may, as someone said, be a feed issue. If a head issue, it should happen will all paper types unless something in the driver is screwing up when matte is selected?

hakizu

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:55:30 am »

It is a feed adjustment problem. Execute feed adjustment for the selected media type.
I would try using the rear manual feed (it appears you're using the top one) and see if it repeats. It may, as someone said, be a feed issue. If a head issue, it should happen will all paper types unless something in the driver is screwing up when matte is selected?

Thanks guys I will try execute the feed adjustment when back home and find out how to proceed it on this printer. Any quick link/source how to execute feed adjustment on Canon Pro 1000 please?
Just checked service manual online and found nothing about it there. Manual feed was doing the same but maybe with a bit batter result but lines were there too.
Thank you.

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:52 am »

I agree. This does look like a feed issue. Stepping motors can do this. Might be something that gets fixed itself (or not) after a bit of use. In addition to feeding from the back, you can also adjust the vacuum level/head height. Try the vacuum level first. Also you might run many pages through the printer to break in the new printer mechanism. Use a full white image with a narrow vertical but thin black line which will keep the printer from skipping total blank areas but still save ink. just shift the paper left/right so the line prints in a different place each time. You should be able to easily see when the printer feed skips this way.

stockjock

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 12:56:01 pm »

Thanks guys I will try execute the feed adjustment when back home and find out how to proceed it on this printer. Any quick link/source how to execute feed adjustment on Canon Pro 1000 please?
Just checked service manual online and found nothing about it there. Manual feed was doing the same but maybe with a bit batter result but lines were there too.
Thank you.

I have had similar problems with my Canon iPF8400 and doing an automatic feed adjustment has always fixed them.  I've never used the Pro 1000 so this may be bad advice but it appears as if the Feed Adjustment for this printer is set by the Media Configuration Tool just like the roll printers.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART165904&actp=RSS

I hope that helps.

hakizu

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 03:48:28 pm »

I have had similar problems with my Canon iPF8400 and doing an automatic feed adjustment has always fixed them.  I've never used the Pro 1000 so this may be bad advice but it appears as if the Feed Adjustment for this printer is set by the Media Configuration Tool just like the roll printers.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART165904&actp=RSS

I hope that helps.
I agree. This does look like a feed issue. Stepping motors can do this. Might be something that gets fixed itself (or not) after a bit of use. In addition to feeding from the back, you can also adjust the vacuum level/head height. Try the vacuum level first. Also you might run many pages through the printer to break in the new printer mechanism. Use a full white image with a narrow vertical but thin black line which will keep the printer from skipping total blank areas but still save ink. just shift the paper left/right so the line prints in a different place each time. You should be able to easily see when the printer feed skips this way.

Thanks very much guys, it all seems it would be well worth doing it but I am trying to work with media configuration tool and don't see any options there where to do adjustment for existing paper " in this case Matte" when I click edit media information this screen pops up and that's all.

Don't see any possibilities there in doing changes there or how to proceed. It is clearly stated there feed adjustment not performed tho so how to perform it??

When I click on to Create a custom paper button under the category there isn't Matte paper option there under any of them.

I feel stuck here and no help from canon support yet either.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:01:19 pm by hakizu »

hakizu

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:31:52 am »

An update:
I couldn't find a way how to edit existing Matte paper in Media Configuration Tool at all so I created new Media based on Special 6 paper and I did feed adjustment there.
It is a small bit better but light lines are still there. Attached jpgs straight out of the camera. I also noticed the gradiations at the begining of print at the leading edge aren't smooth as the rest of the print, but somehow rough a bit for about half an inch of the lenght of A4?? Can be seen on last attached jpg along the printed area on the right for about half of inch and then smooth.

Any other sugestions folks?
Thanks a milion for help.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:08 am »

Special media types are mainly for testing ink density.
You can try also to slow down the printing speed by selecting "Higher" printing quality and/or unidirectional printing.

henrikolsen

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 01:56:36 pm »

The grain seen near the edge is often caused by curl near the end. You can gently "counter curl" the edge/corners before feeding - it might help. Vacuum strength cannot be set on the Pro-1000 (on or off), so no help there. If heavy paper and it's at the end, not start of the print, you might try placing a support under the paper as it comes out of the printer, as the drop down without support can make a stiff/heavy paper lift/curl/bend near the end where the feed and vacuum mechanism has almost no paper left to hold it at optimally. Using rear feed can also help.

hakizu

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 03:09:55 am »

Special media types are mainly for testing ink density.
You can try also to slow down the printing speed by selecting "Higher" printing quality and/or unidirectional printing.

The grain seen near the edge is often caused by curl near the end. You can gently "counter curl" the edge/corners before feeding - it might help. Vacuum strength cannot be set on the Pro-1000 (on or off), so no help there. If heavy paper and it's at the end, not start of the print, you might try placing a support under the paper as it comes out of the printer, as the drop down without support can make a stiff/heavy paper lift/curl/bend near the end where the feed and vacuum mechanism has almost no paper left to hold it at optimally. Using rear feed can also help.

Thanks guys, I didn't try unidirectional printing yet to compare the result. But I imagine this shouldn't be happenning with this type of printer and brand new.. they are made to work properly and fast straight out of box after initial setup.. If Id start putting sheet by sheet to manual feed and then even slow down more with process with unidirectional printing it would take ages to print bunch of greeting card.. Paper is standard Matte 230GSM from Tecco "very nice paper" not too tick or heavy or anything, completely flat, no curls whatsoever. As this happens with canon paper too, I contacted retailer and printer is going back for replacement when they have new ones in stock. So fingers crossed in about 10 days.
Thanks a milion everybody for advices and opinions, I much appreciate it!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up