Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: basICColor Back on Track  (Read 1394 times)

Iliah

basICColor Back on Track
« on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:54 am »

Here is from basICColor press release:

"... Karl Koch and Franz Herbert have teamed up to develop new and improved versions of essential professional color management software under the brand name basICColor:

basICColor display: The monitor calibration and profiling solution, the basICColor display software has been rewritten from the ground up with many improvements.

display 6 will be officially released Q1 2020, a pre-release version of display 6 for macOS can be purchased now.

The Windows version will be ready in time for the official release date.

Upgrades are available for owners of basICColor display 5.

basICColor input: generates highly superior DCP and ICC profiles for digital cameras. The much improved basICColor input 6 will be released at the start of COLOR20 in San Diego (11 -14 January 2020) in 3 versions:

• basICColor input 6

• basICColor input 6 Pro

• basICColor inputRAW 6

Pre-release versions are available today. Upgrades are available for owners of earlier basICColor input 5.

basICColor cockpit: the most universal software for color correct viewing and converting of color images of all sorts – from raw to spectral!"

Ingenieurbuero Dipl.-Ing. Karl Koch

Maistrasse 18

D82377 Penzberg

Germany

info@basiccolor.de

sebbe

Re: basICColor Back on Track
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:39:23 am »

Good to hear. You can find more information for each product on the website.
I'm curious about the "input 6 pro" and also about the upgrade costs for display and input...

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:55:26 pm »

Good to hear. You can find more information for each product on the website.
I'm curious about the "input 6 pro" and also about the upgrade costs for display and input...
I can only say for basICColor Display - upgrade to v6 from v5 was 50 British pounds for me - I went via https://www.colourmanagement.net/

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 06:49:16 pm »

Version 6.0.3 of basICColor display is now available for download and licensing.

Louie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:26:55 am »

I found the following note in the FAQ for the new release:

Monitor profiles come in 2 different "flavors": Matrix-based and LUT based. The macOSs Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave do not support LUT-based profiles correctly. Please make sure, your monitor profiles for these operating systems are of the matrix-based type (default setting in basICColor display 6)

I am puzzled by this statement as I believe that ColoraNavigator builds and installs LUT based profiles. I want to get a trial license to evaluate basICColor display on Mojave but it sounds I can't use the LUT in which case it is not a valid evaluation. And I don't want to upgrade to Catalina until I have a way to build profiles for my monitor.

Anyone have any insight to this issue.

-louie

PS I have sent in a support request to basICColor and I post any response back here.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:05:17 pm »

Yes, depending on the OS flavor and other oddities, some LUT based profiles are not supported properly. I’ve seen this in the past on my MacBook Pro display. There should be an option in such a case to build Matrix profiles that do appear to behave correctly.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Louie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »

Thanks Andrew,
I also received a reply from Franz Herbert at basICColor explaining the limitations.

when we speak about Lut profiles we actually mean 3D Lut. We are always using the Luts in the monitor.

So this may be a viable alternative to ColorNavigator.

-louie
Pages: [1]   Go Up