I don’t see the point of it either unless you are an art school with a lot of students who don’t want to learn how to make or order color profiles and need to have them for a wide variety of papers.
Yea, Q-Image for layout and great upsampling sharpening, combined with custom profiles is all you need. If you have that money to spend on your set up I’d spend it either on X Rite profiling equipment or hiring someone to make a batch of precise custom profiles for you.
The problem I’ve always had with Image Print is you can’t linearize your media with it for custom media , only use basic pre-set ink limits, and you can’t do the most precise neutralization for monochrome imaging on any media, the way Studio Print can. I see it more of a layout program that comes with a library of profiles, most of which you will never use. And yea it’s expensive for just that.
Like Ernst said, with the HP Z printers you can do both without needing any add on software and it works great. The creation of the icc profile is a separate process from linearizing ( controlling how and how much ink is laid down per channel ).
The very inexpensive QTR with Print Tool only for Epson printers though the P 700/p 900 ) are fantastic for ultimate black and white control and split toning, but the creator of it says it will probably never be available for the new generation of Epson printers that use the new heads on the P10k, 20k, P 9570, 7570, etc.
John
I have used Qimage (Ultimate) for more than 15 years and so far any other driver/RIP/application didn't look attractive enough to switch to.
The more when I got my HP Z3100/3200 printers that filled in the color calibration + profiling aspect for third party media with the integrated spectrometer + compatible software.
The only con I see is in the interaction of Qimage with the HP printer drivers when Mike started to integrate more of the driver functions in the QU interface.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/SpectralPlots/SpectrumViz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots