Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One relationship between proxies and zooming?  (Read 1230 times)

earlybird

Capture One relationship between proxies and zooming?
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:24 pm »

Hi,
 Is it correct to assume that each time I zoom in Capture One a new and unique proxy image is created?

I am wondering how my choice of Preview Size, which closely matches the size of the preview area in my Capture One instantiation, relates to zooming in and out. I am assuming that each preview, regardless of zoom ration, directly references the full source data rather than the current preview.

Yes, no, maybe?

Thank you.

earlybird

Re: Capture One relationship between proxies and zooming?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 01:47:00 pm »

Yes? No? Maybe?

Thank you!

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

DP

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:55:06 pm »

Hi,
 Is it correct to assume that each time I zoom in Capture One a new and unique proxy image is created?

I am wondering how my choice of Preview Size, which closely matches the size of the preview area in my Capture One instantiation, relates to zooming in and out. I am assuming that each preview, regardless of zoom ration, directly references the full source data rather than the current preview.

Yes, no, maybe?

Thank you.

do you .cop file size changing after each zoom action ? there is your answer

earlybird

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:11:56 pm »

This article may help.

https://captureintegration.com/quick-tips-speed-up-capture-one-pro/

Thank you.

That article does not address the question about increasing the zoom factor but it does relate to why, in my original post, I made the preface statement: "...my choice of Preview Size, which closely matches the size of the preview area in my Capture One instantiation"

The article speaks about minimizing resource requirements while handling files with C1, but it does not address any implications regarding the quality of the preview presentation with regards to the potential detail that may be associated with the source file.

For example; Would I need to use a preview size that matches the pixel dimensions produced by my camera to refer to all the original data available while increasing the zoom factor of the preview within C1?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:46:07 pm by earlybird »

earlybird

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:36:28 pm »

does[sic] your[sic] .cop file size changing[sic] after each zoom action?

I guess I thought this was an easy question with a ready answer.

FWIW, I do not observe any change in .cop file size for any specific image, when I zoom, but I do not know what this tells me. As far as I can tell, this only demonstrates that some specific .cop file made at some specific time and date has not changed, it doesn't answer the question of whether the image presented at any given time in the preview of C1 is sourced from the proxy or from the original RAW data.

DP

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:05:24 pm »

get fast GPU, set preview image size to the min setting (640px) - there you can guarantee that whatever you see at any zoom will be rendered from the raw data  ;D and not from some "preview" ... that's what I do ...

DP

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 10:06:31 pm »

This article may help.

https://captureintegration.com/quick-tips-speed-up-capture-one-pro/

to be fair that article references v7... who knows what P1 did 6 versions and 6 years later

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 07:57:45 am »

get fast GPU, set preview image size to the min setting (640px) - there you can guarantee that whatever you see at any zoom will be rendered from the raw data  ;D and not from some "preview" ... that's what I do ...

Correct, that's the general advice since anything larger than the preview will be rendered from the original Raw. The preview size is for speed-up reasons. Anyway, a serious inspection of image detail should be done at a 100% zoom setting and even then, zooming in for even more detailed scrutiny will involve resampling.

A few versions back, Capture One had a major overhaul of its resampling engine, which now is pretty good. It now gives excellent resampling results with lens corrections, and minor keystoning/rotation corrections. The small corrections, fractional pixel displacements, are the hardest to get right. But resampling, in general, is still a compromise, so one should remain cautious. Nevertheless, C1 resampling has become much more reliable with retaining detail, yet avoid introducing too many distracting artifacts.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

earlybird

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 10:37:09 am »

...set preview image size to the min setting... ...whatever you see at any zoom will be rendered from the raw data...

...since anything larger than the preview will be rendered from the original Raw...

Thank you. This is the answer to my question. How is this known to be true? Did Phase One publish this explanation? Thank you!

...at a 100% zoom setting...

Last night I crawled down a rabbit hole by reading the 2-1/2 year thread "Why are the previews of Capture One Pro of such low quality?" and realized that some of the discussion addressed my question. I became confused by the frequent use of the term 100% because in my mind 100% means that my preview proxy size should match my original image file dimensions, which in my case is most often 8688 x 5792 pixels, and does not seem to be a possible choice in Capture One v20. It seemed that the term was being applied as a reference to the selected size of the preview image, and its presentation in Capture One. With zoom choices such as "fit", "100%", "200%", etc. made as ratios of the selected preview size not the actual image file. While I am always curious to pixel peep at 100% (or beyond) of my actual image file dimensions, I am not especially excited to view a portion of a 100% ratio image preview if, for example, in my case a 1280 wide preview is merely a representation of a 8688 pixel wide image resampled to 14.4% of its original dimensions. If the 100% that was being referred to equates to 14.4% of what I am actually working with, then there does not seem to be anything special about the centennial notation.

Indeed, with the limited zoom options it seems impossible for me to ever see portions of my image file at a 100% ratio within Capture Ones primary preview pane.

Perhaps the "proof" that was referred to in the thread mentioned above offers the possibility?

Edit: Please disregard the struck through comments above, I was evidently confused after making some tests with different source files etc.

In any event, I started with a specific question and it appears that it has been answered, so my curiosity is satisfied and I am comfortable with the idea that as long as each preview zoom ratio is resampled directly from the RAW data that this is the practical way to work and more or less equivalent to any other RAW converters' preview features.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:14:36 pm by earlybird »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:04:47 am »

Thank you. This is the answer to my question. How is this known to be true? Did Phase One publish this explanation? Thank you!

I believe it has been mentioned either here on LuLa (maybe by David Grover or one of the developers) or on the Capture One forum. One can always ask the support group if it is important enough.

100% traditionally refers to 1 image pixel displayed as 1 display pixel, no rescaling or resampling.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up