Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic monitor profiling question  (Read 1070 times)

churly

Basic monitor profiling question
« on: January 03, 2020, 02:58:52 pm »

As part of the boot process the latest profile is picked up and applied.  When I then profile again or do a quick calibration the new profile is built using the monitor with the 'old' profile in place and produces a new profile which then gets loaded. Is the monitor then 'double profiled'?  Is there a base or native level profile I should load before doing a new profile?  The question arises because I am using a new profiling tool and software.  I would think that I have been doing this long enough to have this sorted out but not so.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Basic monitor profiling question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 03:27:05 pm »

You don't define the OS. Or the product making the calibration then profile (some of this is all done internally in the display).
Well designed products will provide a newer profile as that which is loaded so older profiles are not used nor should they be. Better, just name the profile consistently have the newest over-write the older profiles. There's zero reason to have older display profiles floating around.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:53:25 pm »

As part of the boot process the latest profile is picked up and applied.  When I then profile again or do a quick calibration the new profile is built using the monitor with the 'old' profile in place and produces a new profile which then gets loaded. Is the monitor then 'double profiled'?  Is there a base or native level profile I should load before doing a new profile?  The question arises because I am using a new profiling tool and software.  I would think that I have been doing this long enough to have this sorted out but not so.
Chuck
No, there is no risk of "double profiling" a monitor. That's only an issue with printer profiles.

As Andrew says, the older monitor profiles just clutter up things but they won't affect anything you do.

churly

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 06:54:23 am »

Andrew & Doug,Thanks much for the clarification.  It is nice to know that I haven't been screwing this up for years.   :)
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

NAwlins_Contrarian

An incorrect assumption about using the profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:13 pm »

As part of the boot process the latest profile is picked up and applied. When I then profile again or do a quick calibration the new profile is built ... and produces a new profile which then gets loaded.

That is not necessarily true. In Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium at least, I had to go into the Color Management control panel, to the Advanced tab, and then manually set Device profile to the newly-made monitor profile. I have not reprofiled since recently being forced to Windows 10. FWIW, this was using the X-Rite software that came with my ColorMunki Display.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: An incorrect assumption about using the profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:51:25 am »

That is not necessarily true. In Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium at least, I had to go into the Color Management control panel, to the Advanced tab, and then manually set Device profile to the newly-made monitor profile. I have not reprofiled since recently being forced to Windows 10. FWIW, this was using the X-Rite software that came with my ColorMunki Display.
I'd hope the software that calibrated and profiled the display would do this task for you. If it didn't, probably their bug.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DP

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 01:38:29 pm »

use a free DisplayCAL profile loader ( from https://displaycal.net/ ) - it simplifies things and shows you what is loaded in a more convenient manner ...

PS: I do not mean in this case to use DisplayCAL for display calibration / characterization (as it is a GUI front end for Argyll) , etc - just as more convenient UI for profile loading (it has an icon sitting in your tray)

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 04:46:05 pm »

I'd hope the software that calibrated and profiled the display would do this task for you. If it didn't, probably their bug.

The software was X-Rite ColorMunkiDisplay, the current (for a while now) version of which is 1.1.4. I don't know whether Windows or some Windows setting somehow prevented the software from making its newly-generated profile the active display profile, or the software does not attempt to do that (although I can't imagine why it wouldn't at least give you the option to do so, unless that's impossible), or there's a bug. I just know that I've at least usually and maybe always had to manually go into the Color Management control panel and change the device profile for the monitor to the newly-made one.

Doug Gray

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 06:41:23 pm »

The software was X-Rite ColorMunkiDisplay, the current (for a while now) version of which is 1.1.4. I don't know whether Windows or some Windows setting somehow prevented the software from making its newly-generated profile the active display profile, or the software does not attempt to do that (although I can't imagine why it wouldn't at least give you the option to do so, unless that's impossible), or there's a bug. I just know that I've at least usually and maybe always had to manually go into the Color Management control panel and change the device profile for the monitor to the newly-made one.
Weird. I've not seen that happen. OTOH I use XRite (and GMB before that) for monitor profiling on my side monitor which uses the drivers LUTs and has to be profiled with an I1Pro. Main monitor is an EIZO and uses CN. No issues with Windows from XP on to Win 10. Could be a bug in Color Munki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up