Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short introductory video to Tin Type photography  (Read 253 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Short introductory video to Tin Type photography
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:46 am »

A short 3 min intro to Tin Type from Kalamazoo Valley Museum .
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Short introductory video to Tin Type photography
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:15 pm »

Nice video Robert.  How does he keep the liquids from running off the plate?  How "poisonous" are these chemicals?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:25:31 pm »

Nice video Robert.  How does he keep the liquids from running off the plate?  How "poisonous" are these chemicals?

Good questions, maybe someone out there knows.

I wondered if there wasn't a tiny "lip" at the edges that were left from the cutting. Maybe that and liquid surface tension? Just guessing.
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:00:52 pm »

I do not think these are too dangerous to produce, but the process produces a sheet with around an ISO of 0.5.  You read that right, 1/2 ISO. 

A couple of years ago Victoria Will did celebrity portraits at the Sundance Film Festival.  I think she used a Profoto Twin head connected to two Pro 8 Packs both set at full blast from about 2 to 3 feet from the subject.  That's 4800 w/s of power, which is so bright it would feel like the sun suddenly started shinning on you.  The images are pretty cool! 

Insofar as danger, I think the Daguerreotype holds the record as the most hazardous.  The original development and fixing process requires the plate to be hung with the image facing down over a boiling vat of liquid mercury.  There is a reason why Daguerre did not make a career of his invention and instead gave it away. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:14:09 pm »

Reminded me of a Sally Mann video where she prepares one of her wet collodion plates... I believe it's one of the talents or, rather, techniques that you have to learn in order to go back to the future.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:14:31 pm »

Reminded me of a Sally Mann video where she prepares one of her wet collodion plates... I believe it's one of the talents or, rather, techniques that you have to develop in order to go back to the future.

Rob

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 05:02:04 pm »

Very nice video;
The lightsensitive material used is the same as the BW film;( silver halides)
Only it is hand made and the sticky material is collodium- cellulose nitrate- that caches flame very easy( just like the old cellulose films)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:03:34 pm »

Very nice video;
The lightsensitive material used is the same as the BW film;( silver halides)
Only it is hand made and the sticky material is collodium- cellulose nitrate- that caches flame very easy( just like the old cellulose films)
Oh my wife will love that when I tell her what I'm planning to do with my new 4x5.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up