Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One and Pano's  (Read 1937 times)

datack

Capture One and Pano's
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:58:05 am »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a recent answer. I couldn't find anything on Google either.
Is there any pano software that will go in as a plugin for capture one? I have been trying out capture one 20 and I like it, but I do take a few panos and hdrs and I miss the ease of Lightroom for this.

I'm happy to open in any software but selecting 5 images in C1 and then exporting to Photoshop just opens them as 5 individual images.

How do others handle panos and hdr easily?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One and Pano's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:55:44 pm »

Hi,

I use PTGUI Pro as my Pano stitcher of choice. The Pano stitching quality is superior to that of LR or Photoshop, and it allows much more control in case of difficult projects. I tend to output from Capture One to the default output folder, and move the TIFFs to a specific Pano subfolder. That folder will be where the individual image tiles will be picked up by directing PTGUI to that location, and it can also write its project file there. That produces a simple to manage (and to backup) set of related files.

In case I have to create HDRI's, I first merge the individual tiles into an HDRI, and put those result tiles in another subfolder for stitching.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

azmike

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 03:08:41 pm »

My pano workflow is similar to Bart's.  Most of the image editing of the individual shots is done in Capture One, and processed as tiffs.  Then PTGUi is used for the stitching.  The resulting pano is cropped and printed via Photoshop CS6.  My objective is the highest resolution large prints possible from a 24" Z3200.

The key/reason to this workflow is the advanced controls possible in PTGUi, e.g. being able to specify the accuracy of the interpolation math.  The difference in a stitch made in Photoshop (I don't have LR, perhaps newer versions have improvements) and one made in PTGUI is just really, really visible.  I believe a software dedicated to and optimized for the sole purpose of stitching will offer significant benefits to those wanting to get the best possible result.

Mike Coffey
Prescott, Arizona

datack

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 07:48:04 pm »

So the normal pano workflow for capture one is edit > output > stitch, rather than what I'm used to in LR of stitch > edit > output.

Guess I just need to get better at taking panos! At the moment I will often take a pano just to see if it might look good as a pano, and being able to pretty effortlessly stitch it together before doing any editing lets me see if should persist with the image before investing too much time in post-processing.

I love the look of the final images I am making in C1, but LR still has some time saving features I think I'll miss! :)

IanSeward

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:27:51 am »

Hi,

I use PTGUI Pro as my Pano stitcher of choice. The Pano stitching quality is superior to that of LR or Photoshop, and it allows much more control in case of difficult projects. I tend to output from Capture One to the default output folder, and move the TIFFs to a specific Pano subfolder. That folder will be where the individual image tiles will be picked up by directing PTGUI to that location, and it can also write its project file there. That produces a simple to manage (and to backup) set of related files.

In case I have to create HDRI's, I first merge the individual tiles into an HDRI, and put those result tiles in another subfolder for stitching.

Cheers,
Bart

I just did a quick test and if you export with the "open in PTGui" option it opens all of the files within PTGui and you can stitch directly.

Ian

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:38:45 am »

I just did a quick test and if you export with the "open in PTGui" option it opens all of the files within PTGui and you can stitch directly.

Yes, that would work if no other editing on the individual tiles is required.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up