Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning software  (Read 1033 times)

Onslow

Scanning software
« on: December 29, 2019, 06:01:18 pm »

Morning All,
I am looking for recommendations for scanning software, mainly for images but also docs occasionally. I currently have an Epson Workforce WF3640 MF. I am looking to be able to generate a profile for it using my i1 Photo Pro2 profiler. The current Epson software included does not enable that.
Any help is appreciated.
John
Cheers

Onslow

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Scanning software
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:54:00 pm »

Morning All,
I am looking for recommendations for scanning software, mainly for images but also docs occasionally. I currently have an Epson Workforce WF3640 MF. I am looking to be able to generate a profile for it using my i1 Photo Pro2 profiler. The current Epson software included does not enable that.
Any help is appreciated.
John

Hi John,

I've been using VueScan Pro (https://www.hamrick.com/) for ages. It handles just about any scanner on the market and it allows great control over many specific hardware features. The price is also very reasonable, since you'll never have to buy another software for a different scanner ever again.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:24:16 pm »

Epsonscan software allows inputting an ICC profile with my Epson V600 film and print scanner.  I've never used it so I don;t know how it works.  Also, I don;t know if that software works with your Epson unit.  You could check with Epson. 

Are you only going to scan prints or are you planning to scan film?

Onslow

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:52:31 pm »

Epsonscan software allows inputting an ICC profile with my Epson V600 film and print scanner.  I've never used it so I don;t know how it works.  Also, I don;t know if that software works with your Epson unit.  You could check with Epson. 

Are you only going to scan prints or are you planning to scan film?
Sorry for the delay Alan, xmas etc intervened. I only plan to scan prints at this stage.
Cheers

Onslow

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:38 am »

Morning All,
Any help is appreciated.
John
If you have an I1Pro2 one can make scanner profiles by scanning a print target that you have read with the I1Pro2. Save a CGATs file, extract LAB values from it and combine them with corresponding RGB values from the scanner chart. Those can be extracted using Babelcolors' PatchTool though I use a program I wrote that discards outliers (dust and other artifacts) from the scanned chart patches. Run through Argyll colprof. That's what I do and it works great. Gives better profiles than IT8 charts because you can easily do over a thousand patches.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »

Interesting Doug, is this something that won't work with am I1pro1 because of hardware limitations? I've got the publlish software, and a couple (750, and 10000xl) of epson scanners, that it would be great to take to the next level.
Will this work with the trial of Patchtool?

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »

Interesting Doug, is this something that won't work with am I1pro1 because of hardware limitations? I've got the publlish software, and a couple (750, and 10000xl) of epson scanners, that it would be great to take to the next level.
Will this work with the trial of Patchtool?

It should be possible with patch tool. You can extract the RGB values from a scanned chart. I don't know if Patchtool can combine the RGB CGATs and the spectro CGATs Lab values or if you would need to do that in Excel or something similar.

I have developed a program that reads in one or more scanned charts, extracts clean RGB data, and combines them with the spectro CGATs file to produce an RGBLAB CGATs file that works nicely with Argyll. I haven't put it on github yet but expect to do so shortly. It's designed to work with either I1Pro2 targets or I1iSis targets. I haven't tested it with I1Pro1 targets.

For best results (dE averages well under 1) you should also use a program that removes wide area crosstalk. Otherwise there's intrinsic error, sometimes quite large, due to this crosstalk that can't be corrected with a profile. I believe the 750 has a similar characteristic crosstalk to the 850 that I use. I've posted some info on this in this forum and a link to a github program that does a good job fixing this.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:31 pm »

PatchTool is a great product but it's really for color geeks and overkill just to make scanner profiles at $125.00. You can get SliverFast for less and build scanner profiles directly from it and use it of course to make scans.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:31 pm »

PatchTool is a great product but it's really for color geeks and overkill just to make scanner profiles at $125.00. You can get SliverFast for less and build scanner profiles directly from it and use it of course to make scans.

And VueScan Pro has had the profile creation capability as one of its many features for ages, and it works with all scanners.

Good quality scan-targets can be obtained from Wolf Faust: http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 02:09:34 pm »

And VueScan Pro has had the profile creation capability as one of its many features for ages, and it works with all scanners.

Good quality scan-targets can be obtained from Wolf Faust: http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
Can you explain how these profiles work with an Epson v600 flatbed scanner? I'm curious if this would help me scan to get better color representations. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up