Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 12000XL scanner questions  (Read 454 times)

artfellig

Epson 12000XL scanner questions
« on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:39 pm »

I saw the 12000XL recommended on this forum. I just noticed that Epson U.S.A. has refurbs available, I wonder if anyone knows:

1) what's the difference between the "Graphic Arts" model, vs. the normal 12000XL? Both come with Silverfast.

2) Can you scan film without holders, and if so, how's the focus? I'm wondering if I could use this to scan 35mm proof sheets, but I'd prefer not to use the holders for this (I'd like to see more of the film, including original frame numbers).

saiguy

Re: Epson 12000XL scanner questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:35 am »

I have the 11000XL model. I bought it from Epson USA as a refurbished model. Have had it for many years now and works great.

No need to use the film holders. It has auto focus and "pick focus place". You would do a prescan that will show the whole platen. Then drag the scan frame loosely around one image, and press the + button on the vertical tool bar. That will zoom in and you can then fine tune the frame as you want. If you use any adjustments like ACC, Auto Color Correction, which I always do as it will set a vert good white point. It will exclude 10 percent around the sides of the image when making it's calculation. So if you may be grabbing a lot outside the actual image this could give a compromised correction. If so, you could set the frame on image content only, hit ACC and then expand the frame again. If you use the Histogram tool, ie Levels, to set a black point per color channel, which I always do, you would want to do this while being in the image only frame.

You can then hit the - button to zoom out and drag the frame to the next image and zoom back in again. It might remember the adjustments from the former scan. If so press and hold on the ACC button which will show a drop down menu at the bottom is a reset auto choice.

When you are done scanning the sheet go to the Frame Menu and chose Maximize Frame so you will have the whole platen when you prescan your next sheet.

I believe my scanner is called, 11000XL Photo. They had Graphics Arts and one other choice. I would ask Epson sales about this. If they only have the Graphic Arts model in the refurbished offerings, ask Epson if this will do for your purpose.

Definitely go with SilverFast Ai 8. You might be able to upgrade to HDR Studio for $50. That is a better work flow.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:15:55 am »

the graphics arts version does not have the transparency unit. Strictly reflective use.
The refurbs may not have any other than software downloadable form the EPSON web site. This is stated on the website.
So factor in buying a new copy of Silverfast as a possibility.

Unless you are doing large format, you may do just as well with a dslr and high resolution flat field lens. There are numerous threads and a howto as well here.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:20:54 am by degrub »

saiguy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:25:36 pm »

When I got my refurbished 11000XL Photo about 6 years ago it came with SilverFast SE and I upgraded to SF8 by calling LSI sales without having to put the SE version on my computer.

artfellig

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 05:08:05 pm »

Thanks for the feedback saiguy and degrub.

the graphics arts version does not have the transparency unit. Strictly reflective use.

degrub, any idea why the graphics arts version costs $300 more?

The refurbs may not have any other than software downloadable form the EPSON web site. This is stated on the website.

At the link I posted in OP, both versions include Silverfast AI.

degrub

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 07:14:44 pm »

1) no idea, ask epson.

2) be careful, what you read was the original specs for what is included with the scanner. You will have to confirm with epson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up