Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Soth: Photographic Storytelling  (Read 14982 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Alex Soth: Photographic Storytelling
« on: December 28, 2019, 03:58:47 am »

A new Magnum course:

Magnum Course Alex Soth

Check it out.

Rob C

Re: Alex Soth: Photographic Storytelling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:07:47 am »

A new Magnum course:

Magnum Course Alex Soth

Check it out.

There's something kinda sad about it coming to that, for Magnum.

Happy New Year!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:22:30 am »

It's heartbreaking, Rob.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:33 am »

Happy New Year!

Yes it is.

It is nice that Magnum take this initiative to create some revenue opportunities for their photographers.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »

Yes it is.

It is nice that Magnum take this initiative to create some revenue opportunities for their photographers.

No. Nobody needs to do that. Better retiring.

Magazines are dead; there is no money even for the big fashion bibles regularly to send guys around the world anymore. There is no more Life. The Internet apparently has no money either for anyone except famous kids of famous parents. The gig's done for the vast majority, with only a couple of stars shining brightly in the firmament.

Just because I'd mentioned it a few days ago, I pulled out that Vogue with Lindbergh's last shoot for the magazine. Slowly and carefully examining the pages, I realised that advertising fashion photography has merged inextricably into still life. The pages were dead as bricks. One or two actually gave the photographer a credit, which makes me wonder if that was in lieu of payment. Better take the money, however little, and save one's reputation, but to what purpose? (These were not Lindbergh's pages.)

I don't enjoy being old, but I'm sure glad I was young when I was young!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:59:12 pm »

Amen to that!  Much better than "I'm so glad I'm not young, today".

The truth is, however, that photographic storytelling skills will never get old, no matter the medium.

SharonVL

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:27:33 am »

I would like to see this course if it didn’t  cover so many topics. It sounds like you get tiny bits of info on a lot of things. If it covered just photobooks, for instance, for five hours I would buy it. I miss Michael’s videos here. They were always in depth on one subject.

Sharon

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:50:16 am »

Amen!!!!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

NortheastPhotographic

• Owner of Northeast Photographic lab in Maine
    • Northeast Photographic
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 11:17:12 am »

No. Nobody needs to do that. Better retiring.

Magazines are dead; there is no money even for the big fashion bibles regularly to send guys around the world anymore. There is no more Life. The Internet apparently has no money either for anyone except famous kids of famous parents. The gig's done for the vast majority, with only a couple of stars shining brightly in the firmament.

Just because I'd mentioned it a few days ago, I pulled out that Vogue with Lindbergh's last shoot for the magazine. Slowly and carefully examining the pages, I realised that advertising fashion photography has merged inextricably into still life. The pages were dead as bricks. One or two actually gave the photographer a credit, which makes me wonder if that was in lieu of payment. Better take the money, however little, and save one's reputation, but to what purpose? (These were not Lindbergh's pages.)

There is such as thing as non-commercial photography.  Even if you have a small audience it can be worth doing.  I make projects that nobody sees mostly because I enjoy doing it.  I'd rather not be featured in a Condi-Nast rag, personally. 
Shoot film.

Jitchaku

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:52 am »

I would like to see this course if it didn’t  cover so many topics. It sounds like you get tiny bits of info on a lot of things. If it covered just photobooks, for instance, for five hours I would buy it. I miss Michael’s videos here. They were always in depth on one subject.

Sharon

You might find some value/entertainment in what he's been posting to Youtube recently: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHIxfgu7HE9_Tok9OGNrQ_g

I want to emphasize (as he does) that these are exceedingly freeform, informal videos, where he by-and-large "rambles" through various photobooks he favors or finds interesting; they are not prepared lectures or intended as overt education. Personally, I enjoy this; I think there is much to be gained in appreciating how an artist engages with and receives a book's immediacy, and the various threads Soth tugs on or connects between differing works and styles is enough to hold my attention usually. Plus! It's free  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up