Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Use Graphics Processor" caused Photoshop to malfunction  (Read 1757 times)

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
"Use Graphics Processor" caused Photoshop to malfunction
« on: December 21, 2019, 12:38:27 am »

Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave), Photoshop CC 2020: A week ago (a month after updating)  Photoshop started becoming more and more buggy, finally freezing frequently, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still didn't perform normally: whenever I tried to use the crop tool, it gave me a message that it couldn't perform the action because it was an unrecognized file. After a 45 min wait, I was able to talk to Adobe support, and they suggested unchecking "Use Graphics Processor". That fixed everything. I am a person who likes to understand what is going on under the hood with my computer and software. I would love it if someone could explain how I could be going along with everthing working well with Photoshop for a month after updating, and then out of the blue it starts acting buggy, and finally becomes none functional because of the GPU being turned on. I get it that bugs happen between software programs and hardware, but how does one develop over time, ie, no problem with the GPU one month, then all of a sudden a problem? Also, is it likely that with another update of Photoshop I will be able to use my GPU?

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: "Use Graphics Processor" caused Photoshop to malfunction
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:39:47 am »

I know Adobe Photoshop has a long history of GPU-acceleration not workng well...
It uses it on some tasks / filters but it is not indispensable.
On the website of Adobe there is somewhere a list of the GPU's they support.
BTW you forgot to mention what computer and Graphic card you have.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:06:58 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 12:09:04 pm »

Thanks!
In my case i use a supported card, AMD RX480; indeed i do not have any problems with GPU-acceleration.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 03:00:25 pm »

On my two systems P2000 and P5000, Win 10 x64, Photoshop high bit display mode works but not in soft proofing where I have to turn on (Check) the Reduce Saturation option while setting the Percent to 0. in Settings. In this mode soft proofing works but the displays operate in standard, 32 bit mode. 32 v 40 bits is not a visible difference with photos but sometimes can be seen with synthetic images.

The soft proofing bug shows up when Reduce Saturation is unchecked whether selecting use graphics processor or not. And it's a pretty extreme bug.

Here's some screen shots of the two modes showing a patch gradient from L*=0 to 33 in steps of 3. The top image is the original, the bottom is the same soft proofed with a matte profile with an black L* of 19. Settings are Relative Colorimetric w Show Paper Color and w/o BPC. The correct soft proof (dark2) shows the blacks stuck at about L*=19 for the darker patches. The bad soft proof (dark1) shows lots of variations in the darker patches which is completely hosed.

I included the original dark.jpg and profile to soft proof against if anyone wants to check this. I'm particularly interested in whether this bug shows up in iOS.

tsinsf

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 03:06:01 pm »

OP here. I'm using a 2013 MacPro with a supported GPU, AMD FirePro D500 3 GB. Back to my original question: why after upgrading to Photoshop CC 2020 would it work perfectly fine for a month and then start getting impossibly buggy? And then why after uninstalling and reinstalling would it continue to be buggy? Could there be a corrupted file somewhere that uninstalling doesn't get rid of?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 03:52:45 pm »

OP here. I'm using a 2013 MacPro with a supported GPU, AMD FirePro D500 3 GB. Back to my original question: why after upgrading to Photoshop CC 2020 would it work perfectly fine for a month and then start getting impossibly buggy? And then why after uninstalling and reinstalling would it continue to be buggy? Could there be a corrupted file somewhere that uninstalling doesn't get rid of?

OK make a new User and see if that changes anything...  It might be some preference or something...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up