Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock Photography  (Read 1969 times)

Rob C

Stock Photography
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:46 am »

In this little video, a fine collection of what used to be covered in the "lifestyle & romance" genre so beloved of the big agencies in the pre-digi era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGzbrfwlsQ

;-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Stock Photography
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:23:13 pm »

Now, that's what I'd call formulaic.

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:16:10 pm »

Wow....

Peter

T1MC0LE

• Tim Cole
    • Tim Cole
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:24:16 am »

Wow that’s quite something!

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 02:16:24 pm »

And don't forget: at one stage, the Image Bank, in the BJP magazine, stated that they held 36,000 images of the Eiffel Tower. As I have suggested before, anyone still feel like investing in going there and shooting #36,001?

:-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31:51 am »

And don't forget: at one stage, the Image Bank, in the BJP magazine, stated that they held 36,000 images of the Eiffel Tower. As I have suggested before, anyone still feel like investing in going there and shooting #36,001?

:-)

Gotta put something in front of the old "everyone has seen it a billlion times" E Tower for importance...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 07:08:23 am »

This week, Shutterstock, one of the largest microstock agencies announced a new method to compensate their photographers and videographers.

Under the new structure, photographers and videographers will get compensated via a percentage of the sales price based on the ‘level’ their photo and/or video are rated, with the level being determined by the number of times their content is licensed. Previously, there were lifetime earnings tiers, which took into account total sales made during the lifetime of the contributor, but Shutterstock will do away with that and instead reset all contributors to ‘level 1’ for both images and videos every year on January 1.

This effectively means that no matter how many sales a contributor has made, on January 1 each year, said contributor will always be demoted back to ‘Tier 1’ wherein they only receive a 15% commission on sales. Shutterstock says it’s "making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential."

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 07:29:53 am »

This week, Shutterstock, one of the largest microstock agencies announced a new method to compensate their photographers and videographers.

Well, what can I say?

From being a good outlet for excess material from commissioned shoots (or even a full-time job for those with the particular mental knack it took to make it profitable) to being the playground of the ego-tripper. Cool. Everything ends up getting screwed.

I remember reading somewhere about willing rapes; perhaps it was deep within Forever Amber or perhaps not - but the sentiment remains: there is always somebody willing to leap onto the block, bare the neck and be the sacrificial goat.

Well, thanks to the new generation of shamateur for messing up a professional field; I think you will earn exactly what you deserve: ridicule and the payment for monkeys. My heart bleeds.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:02 pm »

Not only images were devalued, but also writing. I remember getting paid in mid seventies several hundred dollars for a 3-4 page technical article. For that money you could buy then a decent camera. On the other hand, the first generation of bulky word processors was selling at that time for around $10,000US.
Pages: [1]   Go Up