Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subversive artist.  (Read 650 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Subversive artist.
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:46:45 am »

Cute little 6 min video about an anti-banking L.A. artist/painter who is visited by the police and Homeland Security. He's a quirky guy, I like some of his paintings: .
--
Robert

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Subversive artist.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:21:49 pm »

+1
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:31:31 pm »

I can't say I am keen on the bank-on-fire painting but I liked the other ones.
--
Robert

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:38:20 pm »

I can't say I am keen on the bank-on-fire painting but I liked the other ones.

Yes, let's call it artistic freedom, or 'freedom of expresssion', followed up by Governmental denial of it.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 11:20:43 pm »

Wow!  Cant say I did not think crazy person when watching this!   

Lots of unsubstantiated claims in this video.  You would think that you would actually do some research to prove the providing of loans for fracking claim made, but nope.  He even openly states that he is not concerned about which bank he paints, which means he may be painting negative painting on banks that have nothing to with his gripes.  Now although he did provide documentation on being questioned by police on the sidewalk, when the police came to his house for the follow up, where is the documentation for that?  You would think you would have a copy of the incident report for that house visit, or maybe, at the very least, take a picture with the camera everyone has in their pocket, aka smart phone.  Nope.  BTW, a hate crime to paint a bank with flames coming out of it?  No where on the original incident report from being stopped on the sidewalk does it say this.  And BTW, where the hell does China come in at?  I mean he mentioned China in the beginning, but did not really finish that thought.   ???

And then, after all of this, the whole negative interest rate, which means that a person would loose money by having it in the bank even if he does nothing with the account, which makes no sense what so ever.  Although near 0 interest rates on savings have popped up in recent years, a negative rate has not. 

Then, the whole taking of the house for underpaying the property tax would have nothing to do with the bank.  Although banks typically collect the property tax in the mortgage payment, in addition to the mortgage coverage along with the property insurance, to put the excess in escrow to pay on your behalf, it is still your responsibility to make sure the bank has an accurate record of what the current property tax is for your property so you they can charge accordingly.  And even if neither you nor the bank stays up to date, it is almost always the case the bank will cover any excess and charge you later for it.  Both of these you are legally obligated to do according to mortgage contracts, which is your responsibility to read.  However, the house, in this case if you did loose it due to missing property taxes, would always be confiscated by the government through a sharif's sale. 

It really is artists like these who give artists a bad name.  Normal people watch videos like this and then think me, and my wife, no nothing about finance or how the world works.  Like we know nothing about how to invest, how to write a business plan, how to write a marketing plan, how to read financial reports, how to look at investor reports on companies, how to plan for major financial investments.  It is people like this who when we (my wife and I) talk about long term business plans gives them the right to look at us with a smirk that says, "sure, I totally believe you know what you are doing," 

This guy seems like a total nut job.  Although, really, most artists are very liberal and are very much like this, sad to say.  I have had too many talks with fellow photographers about business and marketing, trying to guid them, and thought afterwards, he'll be working for someone else in less then a year.  Keeps an check on the competition I guess.  Thank god my wife and I are libertarians! 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:28:59 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:11 am »

Wow!  Cant say I did not think crazy person when watching this!   

Lots of unsubstantiated claims in this video.  You would think that you would actually do some research to prove the providing of loans for fracking claim made, but nope.  He even openly states that he is not concerned about which bank he paints, which means he may be painting negative painting on banks that have nothing to with his gripes.  Now although he did provide documentation on being questioned by police on the sidewalk, when the police came to his house for the follow up, where is the documentation for that?  You would think you would have a copy of the incident report for that house visit, or maybe, at the very least, take a picture with the camera everyone has in their pocket, aka smart phone.  Nope.  BTW, a hate crime to paint a bank with flames coming out of it?  No where on the original incident report from being stopped on the sidewalk does it say this.  And BTW, where the hell does China come in at?  I mean he mentioned China in the beginning, but did not really finish that thought.   ???

And then, after all of this, the whole negative interest rate, which means that a person would loose money by having it in the bank even if he does nothing with the account, which makes no sense what so ever.  Although near 0 interest rates on savings have popped up in recent years, a negative rate has not. 

Then, the whole taking of the house for underpaying the property tax would have nothing to do with the bank.  Although banks typically collect the property tax in the mortgage payment, in addition to the mortgage coverage along with the property insurance, to put the excess in escrow to pay on your behalf, it is still your responsibility to make sure the bank has an accurate record of what the current property tax is for your property so you they can charge accordingly.  And even if neither you nor the bank stays up to date, it is almost always the case the bank will cover any excess and charge you later for it.  Both of these you are legally obligated to do according to mortgage contracts, which is your responsibility to read.  However, the house, in this case if you did loose it due to missing property taxes, would always be confiscated by the government through a sharif's sale. 

It really is artists like these who give artists a bad name.  Normal people watch videos like this and then think me, and my wife, no nothing about finance or how the world works.  Like we know nothing about how to invest, how to write a business plan, how to write a marketing plan, how to read financial reports, how to look at investor reports on companies, how to plan for major financial investments.  It is people like this who when we (my wife and I) talk about long term business plans gives them the right to look at us with a smirk that says, "sure, I totally believe you know what you are doing," 

This guy seems like a total nut job.  Although, really, most artists are very liberal and are very much like this, sad to say.  I have had too many talks with fellow photographers about business and marketing, trying to guid them, and thought afterwards, he'll be working for someone else in less then a year.  Keeps an check on the competition I guess.  Thank god my wife and I are libertarians!

You may be assigning too much importance to the eccentric rantings of one lone relatively unknown artist. It's not like he's running for office or anything. :)

Shows that art can stir up emotions though.
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:54:50 am »

You may be assigning too much importance to the eccentric rantings of one lone relatively unknown artist. It's not like he's running for office or anything. :)

Shows that art can stir up emotions though.

I thought about this after going to bed and came to that conclusion and that I probably should not have written what I did. 

It was a good laugh though. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 08:01:41 am »

I thought about this after going to bed and came to that conclusion and that I probably should not have written what I did. 

It was a good laugh though.

Oh yeah, it was. Everybody gets wound up now and then, no worries.

As I listened to him, he reminded me of many creative types, like rock stars, who might be better off not granting interviews.

--
Robert

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »

Yes, let's call it artistic freedom, or 'freedom of expresssion', followed up by Governmental denial of it.

You just can't help yourself, can you Bart?

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:52:13 pm »

You just can't help yourself, can you Bart?

Especially if he may be right...

There is nothing as smug as the small-time operator who thinks he knows it all. Thank goodness I'm morally drawn to, and akin to, the Leiter philosophy that "nobody knows what's what, and by the time they do it's too late."

That has never let me down.

:-)

P.S.

By the way, this isn't aimed at you, Frans.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:40:06 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up