Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to color management. i1PhotoPro3 vs i1PhotoPro2  (Read 992 times)

smikkelmit22

New to color management. i1PhotoPro3 vs i1PhotoPro2
« on: December 19, 2019, 05:12:28 am »

Hi,

I'm new to colour management.I do quite some printing, but always had a guy doing the color management for me. Which was great, but i now want to start learning doing it myself.

Now i have been comparing the i1PhotoPro3 and i1PhotoPro2. Have looked at some reviews, (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/x-rite-i1photo-pro-3-plus-review/) and i'm now wondering in which one to invest.

2020 is coming soon, and for tax reasons, it's interesting to invest in one now.

There are some differences in the models, and i mainly want to use it to profile canvas. For that reason i'm leaning to pro 3. But, on the other hand, there are quite some price differences.

Especially, because some seller offer the pro 2 with some additional discount. I think because the new model came.

Are there some user here that used both devices with canvas, that can point me a direction.

I mainly want to use it for monitor calibiration and printer calibiration.

Trough the years i have found that i enjoy working with printers, i understand there will be a learning curve, but i'm willing to invest the time in it.

Thanks!

Pat Herold

Re: New to color management. i1PhotoPro3 vs i1PhotoPro2
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:45:36 pm »

I have reviewed the i1Pro 3 Plus recently:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Instrument_Spotlight_i1Pro_3_Plus

It will do a great job of profiling canvas.  The polarization filter is perfect for measuring color off of a canvas surface, and lining up the stray light streams coming into the sensor.   Often times these substrates have profiles that plug up the shadows.  The bottom line is that the polarized measurement can give you a profile that has more shadow detail.  I don’t want to overstate the case… but for those who need this extra detail in the blacks, every little improvement is great.  But to some eyes this may not be a “big” difference.  YMMV.

Also keep in mind that the larger aperture means that your profiling targets will need to be larger or take up more sheets.  For polarized measurements, the minimum patch size is 20 mm. (3/4 inch).  I believe X-Rite intends this instrument to fit a certain purpose in the industry.  Use the i1Pro2 for more common profiling purposes, use the i1Pro 3 Plus for others.  They intend for people to own both - rather than have this i1Pro 3 Plus as a catch-all instrument for all profiling.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:06:18 am »

I have reviewed the i1Pro 3 Plus recently:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Instrument_Spotlight_i1Pro_3_Plus

It will do a great job of profiling canvas.  The polarization filter is perfect for measuring color off of a canvas surface, and lining up the stray light streams coming into the sensor.   Often times these substrates have profiles that plug up the shadows.  The bottom line is that the polarized measurement can give you a profile that has more shadow detail.  I don’t want to overstate the case… but for those who need this extra detail in the blacks, every little improvement is great.  But to some eyes this may not be a “big” difference.  YMMV.

Also keep in mind that the larger aperture means that your profiling targets will need to be larger or take up more sheets.  For polarized measurements, the minimum patch size is 20 mm. (3/4 inch).  I believe X-Rite intends this instrument to fit a certain purpose in the industry.  Use the i1Pro2 for more common profiling purposes, use the i1Pro 3 Plus for others.  They intend for people to own both - rather than have this i1Pro 3 Plus as a catch-all instrument for all profiling.
Of course they want to sell you both spectros!!!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:31:59 am »

Pro3 is more for those proofing as the profiling process will have you print out bigger patches and many more sheets than Pro2 will.  If you're doing photography/fine art, stick with Pro2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up