Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cecil  (Read 311 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Cecil
« on: December 16, 2019, 07:09:46 pm »

Yes, I know there is a telephone pole coming out of his head. I put it there at the point of capture thinking of a religious cross reference, especially given our conversation. BUT, it would be very easy to remove. SO? Is this an unpardonable sin? opinions?
Thanks, -t
One Day At A Time

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Cecil
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 08:39:38 pm »

It does look intentional, and it fits the sense of the rest of the image, so I say keep it.
It works.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:35:29 am »

I can't agree Eric, precisely because he deliberately placed the subject at odds with that element in the scene. To be sure, if this was a candid or spontaneous shot, I would be inclined to overlook the pole coming out of the head. But it's hard to overlook in our visual culture, especially without a narrative for doing so. Maybe you have one. Frankly, I think it is excellent character portrayal with good tonal distribution. No need to emphasize what is not there. Excellent placement of subject between the sewer grate, the house and the sidewalk and pole. The subject slightly turned and the leg and crutches at oblique angles all contribute to the image. Good separation of subject from the recognizable but receding background. I can't see any religious symbolism in this image. One could underline perseverance in the face of adversity and disability. That's character. And that is what I see. I would clone out the pole. After all, in a manner of speaking, you placed it there!

JR

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:38:55 am »

Yes, I know there is a telephone pole coming out of his head. I put it there at the point of capture thinking of a religious cross reference, especially given our conversation. BUT, it would be very easy to remove. SO? Is this an unpardonable sin? opinions?
Thanks, -t

Nothing is unpardonable in photography, imo.
Question is: does it work?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 04:44:02 am »

I agree with John. It clearly looks like a pole, by shape and contest, and hard to perceive as a cross. And even then, it would be superfluous.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 05:25:23 am »

It spoils what is a fine image.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 07:12:54 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 08:10:30 am »

It’s a good photo to me. I would remove the pole coming out of his head, and the light coming out of his left ear, camera right.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:51 am »

I'd be inclined to do one of two alternatives:

1. get rid of the wide-angle look by cropping the top somewhere very near to the top of the roof or near to the top of the cross (yeah, I've heard of negative space); I think w-a looks work well mainly when the top and bottom of the figure are very close to the top and bottom of the frame, otherwise, I think they play silly games with perspective:

2. leave it alone and be happy.

Either way, a very nice, ballsy kind of picture, whether you know the gent or not.

Rob

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 08:00:47 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I did not know him but talked to him for about five minutes. He wanted his picture taken and I was waiting on an Uber whom I had just called- I had limited time but wanted to "connect" with him also. This is the one I stopped on and decided I had "gotten" what I wanted when the pole lined up over his head in the viewer. There are other slightly different captures (head movement and facial expression only) which I will look more closely at. I was sure on this one at the time, but now.. ---pending, comments about the pole and head. I will clean this one up, and, post another without the head/pole intersection to get you additional opinions. Thanks, -t
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:03 am »

Thanks for the comments. I did not know him but talked to him for about five minutes. He wanted his picture taken and I was waiting on an Uber whom I had just called- I had limited time but wanted to "connect" with him also. This is the one I stopped on and decided I had "gotten" what I wanted when the pole lined up over his head in the viewer. There are other slightly different captures (head movement and facial expression only) which I will look more closely at. I was sure on this one at the time, but now.. ---pending, comments about the pole and head. I will clean this one up, and, post another without the head/pole intersection to get you additional opinions. Thanks, -t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up