Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Nikon NOCT f/0.95 lens compared to the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4  (Read 1058 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Nikon NOCT f/0.95 lens compared to the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:02:09 pm »

I have a lot of fine lenses that are well corrected. Of late, I am checking out the new Nikkor NOCT f/95 in itself and how it compares to lenses like the Zeiss Otus series, in particular the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 lens.
I am not much of a “lens tester,” aside from how a lens affects my own work. Here is what I find comparing these two lenses.

The bokeh of the NOCT95 is worlds better than the OTUS55, plain and simple.

The OTUS55 is slightly better corrected compared to the NOCT95. I do find a little CA in the NOCT95 (easily removed) compared to the OTUS55, which is better corrected.

The NOCT95, of course, is very much heavier compared to the OTUS55, which I used to think was heavy. LOL.

The lens barrel on the OTUS55 is velvety-smooth, while the lens barrel on the NOCT95 is stiff and difficult to turn, although it might be loosening up a little. I have put a focus-puller cogged band around the barrel of the NOCT95 and that helps.

You can be sure that I checked out the NOCT95 thoroughly, because if it is flawed (for my work) I could have returned it and had a lot of money to spend on other gear. That being said, the NOCT95 (for my work) is a keeper, especially thanks to the speed of the lens and the resulting bokeh. I can’t get that effect with any of the Otus lenses. The closest I can come is the Nikkor “O” CRT lens, which is fast, but has a somewhat restricted focus range and other quirks.

And so, I very much like the Nikon NOCT 58mm f/.095 lens. Here is a shot from each of the lenses, the first shot, two flowers, is with the NOCT95 and the second shot, with three flowers, is the Otus55.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:08:49 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: The Nikon NOCT f/0.95 lens compared to the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:19:16 am »

thanks for sharing!
How comes the colours are so different? Otus being so much more blue.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:55:04 pm »

Thanks, what aperture were these shot at and/or did you stack images for the flower part?
Rolleiflex USA

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 04:31:34 am »

Thanks, what aperture were these shot at and/or did you stack images for the flower part?

Wide open and stacked.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: [1]   Go Up