Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way of cutting roll paper to new size.  (Read 847 times)

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
Best way of cutting roll paper to new size.
« on: December 14, 2019, 12:41:55 am »

What is the best way of resizing and cutting a larger roll of paper for use in a smaller printer ?

I have a P400 and want to use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 188 to make some 13" wide landscapes. It's available in Europe on a 13" roll but not in Northern America.

Or does anyone know where I can source it from in Europe ?

mearussi

Re: Best way of cutting roll paper to new size.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:27:19 am »

Have you looked at European sources to see if they ship to the U.S., because some will.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:13 am »

What is the best way of resizing and cutting a larger roll of paper for use in a smaller printer ?

I have a P400 and want to use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 188 to make some 13" wide landscapes. It's available in Europe on a 13" roll but not in Northern America.

Or does anyone know where I can source it from in Europe ?
With a Rotatrim cutter it's easy to cut along the width of roll paper and get a square cut that won't cause paper skew.  I've done this quite a bit and gotten good results.  It is going to be far more problematic cutting along the length depending on the size of the cut.  Rotatrim do make a 48 inch cutter which would do this but the cost is pretty steep so you would need to do a lot of prints to make up the cost.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 09:23:18 am »

With a Rotatrim cutter it's easy to cut along the width of roll paper and get a square cut that won't cause paper skew.  I've done this quite a bit and gotten good results.  It is going to be far more problematic cutting along the length depending on the size of the cut.  Rotatrim do make a 48 inch cutter which would do this but the cost is pretty steep so you would need to do a lot of prints to make up the cost.

Hi Alan,

I certainly agree that the RotaTrim cutters can provide an excellent cut depending on the maximum size the cutter can handle.  I've been using RotaTrims in various sizes since 1974 and have never had any issues with them.  As a matter of fact, I still occasionally use the 14" RotaTrim I bought in 1974 and it just keeps cutting along almost like new.  I also have a newer 14" as well as a 24" and could not do without them.

However, all of that aside, if I'm it reading correctly I do believe the OP is referring to cutting the actual roll to accommodate smaller print sizes with less wastage etc.  For example, cutting a 24" roll down to 13" for use in a 13" printer.  I have seen this topic her at LuLa and I believe there were several methods that all seemed to be viable if I recall, so I imagine one of those members will chime in again on this thread as well.  I will say that it does seem rather strange that Hahnemuhle wouldn't provide the 13" rolls of that paper here in North America as well.       
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:06:46 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 10:57:59 am »

Have you looked at European sources to see if they ship to the U.S., because some will.

I found a few but shipping costs are higher than the price of the paper..

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 11:00:18 am »

Hi Alan,

I certainly agree that the RotaTrim cutters can provide an excellent cut depending on the maximum size the cutter can handle.  I've been using RotaTrims in various sizes since 1974 and have never had any issues with them.  As a matter of fact, I still occasionally use the 14" RotaTrim I bought in 1974 and it just keeps cutting along almost like new.  I also have a newer 14" as well as a 24" and could not do without them.

However, all of that aside, If I'm it reading correctly I do believe the OP is referring to cutting the actual roll to accommodate smaller print sizes with less wastage etc.  For example, cutting a 24" roll down to 13" for use in a 13" printer.  I have seen this topic her at LuLa and I believe there were several methods that all seemed to be viable if I recall, so I imagine one of those members will chime in again on this thread as well.  I will say that it does seem rather strange that Hahnemuhle wouldn't provide the 13" rolls of that paper here in North America as well.     

Yes, this is what I am trying to do, I want to trim a 17" roll to a 13" roll since they are not available here.

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 04:38:15 pm »

I found a few but shipping costs are higher than the price of the paper..
Not this one: https://www.fotospeed.com/checkoutBasket.asp
Total cost, including $26 shipping, is $58.49

Photo Rag 188gsm 13" - 12m   
Low Stock

qty 1: $32.49   

Delivery Area
USA

Delivery   $26.00   
Subtotal   $58.49   

Order Total $58.49

Lessbones

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 07:52:45 pm »

Chop saw with a fine blade, just be sure to back it off a few times so you don't burn it.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:24:32 pm »

Ask a commercial printer if they can take the roll and use their big guillotine cutter to make the chop. I can remember hearing also that using a coping saw/jeweler's saw or even a hack saw with fine-tooth blade may also work. However using a saw may give you a ragged edge that you'll need to trim with your cutter or with a straightedge/knife or razor blade.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:06 am »

Not this one: https://www.fotospeed.com/checkoutBasket.asp
Total cost, including $26 shipping, is $58.49

Photo Rag 188gsm 13" - 12m   
Low Stock

qty 1: $32.49   

Delivery Area
USA

Delivery   $26.00   
Subtotal   $58.49   

Order Total $58.49

That's a great price ! Have you ordered from them before ?

mearussi

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 06:59:42 am »

That's a great price ! Have you ordered from them before ?
No, but I've come across them before when doing research on a canvas that isn't available in the U.S.

Here's a link to the paper: https://www.fotospeed.com/Hahnem%C3%BChle-Photo-Rag%C2%AE-188/groupproduct/1201/

If you do order from them let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:03:49 am by mearussi »

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 08:29:07 am »

I am a big fan of Hahnemühle photorag, but the hassle and likelihood of dust and flaking if you cut it makes the process sound unreliable at best. Moab Entrada comes in 13" wide rolls natural or bright white at the 190gsm weight and prints very similarly.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 10:07:42 pm »

I am a big fan of Hahnemühle photorag, but the hassle and likelihood of dust and flaking if you cut it makes the process sound unreliable at best. Moab Entrada comes in 13" wide rolls natural or bright white at the 190gsm weight and prints very similarly.

I might try it eventually. The reason for going with the Photo rag is that I’m using Piezography Pro inks and that combination gives the best density. But As you say I don’t think cutting it is the best idea - I’ll order the paper from the uk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up