Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A9 file naming oddity  (Read 1433 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Sony A9 file naming oddity
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:00:23 am »

While shooting yesterday, my wife's camera named files as expected--DSC_09997, DSC_09998, DSC_09999--but then it "reset" and named them DSC_00001, DSC_00002, etc. Time stamps are all fine. What gives?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Sony A9 file naming oddity
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 11:09:06 am »

It reaches the maximum number and then resets. That’s what happened. You can set up to do a sequence per folder but the default out the box is to create a sequence that runs until it resets at the maximum number. I seem to remember my Canons did the same.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 10:12:55 am »

It reaches the maximum number and then resets. That’s what happened. You can set up to do a sequence per folder but the default out the box is to create a sequence that runs until it resets at the maximum number. I seem to remember my Canons did the same.

I thought of that, but with 5 digits to work with, shouldn't it go from 09999 to 10000?

Hezu

• Galerie Hezu
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »

I thought of that, but with 5 digits to work with, shouldn't it go from 09999 to 10000?

The first 0 is just a padding, it will also disappear if you choose AdobeRGB colourspace as then the prefix before the number in the filename changes to _DSC (by default, these newer Sony cameras do allow customizing those three characters used as the prefix, which is handy if you use multiple cameras and store image files in the same directory).
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola
Pages: [1]   Go Up