Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?  (Read 2745 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 03:33:19 am »

I began to save the boxes when I turned amateur. As I may pop off at any moment, I think the boxes will help my kids get a slightly better price for all my rubbish. At least, boxes get mentioned in sales columns... must make a difference.

Rob

Same here - it may help my heirs to be able to identify what is in my cupboards. In the meantime, it DOES help the selling price, but is the increase in price worth the cost of storage?  I'm afraid to do the calculation :-(

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 05:11:13 am »

I sell everything I'm not using, always in their respective boxes. Consequently I have an absolute minimum of gear and boxes to store.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 09:33:21 am »

I sell everything I'm not using, always in their respective boxes. Consequently I have an absolute minimum of gear and boxes to store.

When you come to the end of a project, do you sell off the gear that you used for that project if none of your current projects require it?  I only sell gear if I think I'll never use it again.

KLaban

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 09:44:15 am »

When you come to the end of a project, do you sell off the gear that you used for that project if none of your current projects require it?  I only sell gear if I think I'll never use it again.

Jim, I like to keep things as simple as possible, basically limited to one system. In recent years my choice of system - was Leica M, now Nikon Z - has covered all projects.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 09:51:41 am »

Jim, I like to keep things as simple as possible, basically limited to one system. In recent years my choice of system - was Leica M, now Nikon Z - has covered all projects.

Got it. Not the case for me.

Two23

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 10:46:27 pm »

I'm beginning to come around to your point of view.  I'm not only a user of historical gear, I have inadvertently become a collector.  For awhile I was really into box cameras such as Kodak Brownie.  I sold off all but three or four and really could slim that down to two now.  I also collected pre-WW2 folders, mostly German.  I now only use one (1937 Voigtlander Bessa 6x9) but it's hard to bring myself to sell the beautiful c.1929 Bergheil 6.5x9 or the gorgeous 1927 Cocarette Luxus!  I've sold a few others but still have a pristine c.1905 Century Camera Co. model 41 4x5 with Velostigmat in Volute shutter.  I have a pile of other historic cameras too-Kodak Bantam Special, Voigtlander Vitessa L 35mm.....   I have TWO c.1925 Gundlach Korona 5x7 view cameras as well. These cameras are in excellent condition but I just don't use them.  I should sell them off I guess and use the money to buy something I will use:  either a Kodak 2D 8x10 or a converted Polaroid 900 4x5.  Or both! :)  I have a dozen pre-Civil War lenses and could probably sell several of those as well.  Oh, and to keep my post on topic, I don't have the original boxes for any of these. ;D

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

KLaban

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 05:07:09 am »

I should perhaps add that I've only ever been an image maker, I've never had an additional income to subsidise anything photographic.

I simply couldn't have afforded to keep and insure stuff I didn't use.

T1MC0LE

• Tim Cole
    • Tim Cole
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 04:35:46 am »

I certainly keep all mine, for the same reason most others do, on sale value. I do love and cherish the packaging of my old Minolta CLE. The packaging is beautiful, simplicity of the brand plays a big part designed by Saul Bass.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2020, 12:09:07 pm »

I keep all my boxes, why, I'm not sure. This thread and this story has made me question this "wisdom."

When I recently sent my Sony 16-35mm f/2.8GM for a checkup under Sony's recall, I asked the agent if I should send it in the original box. After all, that's how it got to me safely from Japan. He said NOT to send the original box as I'd not likely get that box back. We all get so many Amazon and other boxes that it was not too hard to find a suitable one and use some of the abundant bubble wrap I seem to have collected. It arrived and came back well wrapped and safely.

ussmillerco

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 02:54:12 am »

I keep the boxes for resale, and also attempt to keep the gear in top shape. I also break most of the boxes down carefully to store them (don’t judge me...boxes were once flat at the factory when new) and when sale time comes, I restore them back to box up glory.  As for buying used, kind of feels extra better when I get used gear for a good price and it’s got that stupid box it came in. Kinda silly, but it gives me savvy buyers Street cred....and I’m all about savvy buyers Street cred. Booya.

ussmillerco

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 03:14:31 am »

I am also tempted when selling an item, when I don’t have the box, to make up a cool box using premium cardboard and my printer, and add some cool jingo phrases and special unique “one off” spectacular box designs. Things like, it’s an “XT Euro” edition, with gold lettering and a unique printed certificate of authenticity, complete with a number, and pointing out it’s much more unique and valuable than the regular old 2 billion exact same models as the one I’m selling. Kinda like an Apple cell phone box. But then I stop myself from thinking and doing such a foolish thing, with a sheepish grin, wondering why.

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 05:39:28 pm »

Not only do I hang on to the boxes, I am still hanging on to a Nikon F3 that's really almost brand new. I was prompted to make this shocking declaration because I have just been looking at some Deborah Turbeville work again... I'm afraid the old film vs digital thing hasn't actually been resolved in my heart, even though it has in my head. Until now, I thought that it had been.

As it's all academic anyway, why fall foul of my heart? No need for a turf war.

:-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up