Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?  (Read 2744 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:04:04 am »

I know. Kind of disgusting and beautiful at the same time. I have dug all the lens boxes and a few others out and am deciding what to do with them. This is a ten-foot table. The worse part is these are not even all of them, I have about half that amount in rails, tripods, heads, and all manner of support equipment.

I’ve showed you mine, what do you do with all of your boxes? When we go to sell an item, a box counts. Problem is, I have not ever sold many. However, I recently decided I am NOT a lens museum and plan to sell a score or so lenses and keep the rest, those I actually use often and those I am looking for the time to use. I thought this would be a fun photo for those who can appreciate it. 😊
v
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

chez

Re: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:22:24 am »

I know. Kind of disgusting and beautiful at the same time. I have dug all the lens boxes and a few others out and am deciding what to do with them. This is a ten-foot table. The worse part is these are not even all of them, I have about half that amount in rails, tripods, heads, and all manner of support equipment.

I’ve showed you mine, what do you do with all of your boxes? When we go to sell an item, a box counts. Problem is, I have not ever sold many. However, I recently decided I am NOT a lens museum and plan to sell a score or so lenses and keep the rest, those I actually use often and those I am looking for the time to use. I thought this would be a fun photo for those who can appreciate it. 😊
v

Once I determine the equipment functions without issue, I recycle the boxes. Too much clutter hoarding the boxes for years.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:37:50 am »

I began to save the boxes when I turned amateur. As I may pop off at any moment, I think the boxes will help my kids get a slightly better price for all my rubbish. At least, boxes get mentioned in sales columns... must make a difference.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 09:52:17 am »

I began to save the boxes when I turned amateur. As I may pop off at any moment, I think the boxes will help my kids get a slightly better price for all my rubbish. At least, boxes get mentioned in sales columns... must make a difference.

Rob

I have all mine as well...going back to 1970. It's crazy, but I have every piece of kit ever since I started being me.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 10:00:35 am »

I have all mine as well...going back to 1970. It's crazy, but I have every piece of kit ever since I started being me.

Peter

Some Swedish bits that I wish I still owned.

I have never been me - I think I took the wrong bus when I went to school one day.

;-(

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:07 am »

No boxes! Once I have determined that I am not going to return an item, out goes the box. And the idea that a box adds value when selling seems very odd to me. I have never been deterred from buying something, or had difficulty selling something, because of no box.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 11:42:13 am »

No boxes! Once I have determined that I am not going to return an item, out goes the box. And the idea that a box adds value when selling seems very odd to me. I have never been deterred from buying something, or had difficulty selling something, because of no box.

The box (or a receipt) is proof of purchase.  A must-have for many of those who purchase high value, second-hand items online.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:36:01 pm by Peter McLennan »

hogloff

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:21:40 pm »

The box (or a receipt) is proof of purchase.  A must-have for many of those who purchase high value items online.

I've bought and sold items into the $4000+ without any mention of boxes.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »

That's what Boxing Day is for: counting your boxes and being grateful. Sometimes, you find yourself left with just the box and invoice. Helps with insurance, I believe, but I am sure the companies have their tricks for getting round that little matter.

Two23

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 05:37:22 pm »

I save the boxes, it seems to help items bring a higher price when I resell.  Any more, I buy everything used.  I only buy boxed items of modern gear because it's less likely to be stolen.  Most of what I buy now isn't modern though.  My last purchase was an 1844 Horne, Thornwait & Wood FL=10 in. Petzval.  It actually came in a very old looking wooden box with hand made latches!

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:49 am »

There is constant churn in my equipment. I will trade in or trade up about two or three pieces of camera gear every year, sometimes more. In South Africa it is easier to do this with boxes for some reason. All boxes go in the basement for that reason.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 10:27:53 am »

I keep any that I get and sell them again if/when I flip the lens. But I also buy used a lot and many of those items didn't include boxes. I did just sell my old Tamron 70-200 with the box and the buyer seemed pleased to get it.
-MattB

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 10:59:21 am »

I've got my lens boxes back to 1970.  If/when I sell them the buyer seems to really like having the original box.
Regards,
Ron

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 11:04:47 am »

No. I can't imagine where I'd put them all.

faberryman

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 11:15:23 am »

I don't have boxes for any of my film camera lenses. I kept the boxes for my digital lenses.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 11:25:27 am »

No. I can't imagine where I'd put them all.

That's my problem. And that is just some of them. I have a ton of boxes for tripods, heads, not to mention video tripods, fluid heads, sliders, and on and on. I amy keep the expensive boxes and throw the little ones away... or something.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 11:54:53 am »

I keep all boxes of stuff:
1. That I may need to ship back for repair; usually bigger, more fragile equipment.
2. If I think someday I might sell them.
Otherwise, recycle.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul_Roark

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 12:06:54 pm »

I keep the boxes, often in the attic.  I think they help if/when you want to sell the equipment on eBay.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 03:48:43 pm »

I keep all of my boxes, in another box in a bigger box.
I adds a lot when you sell them.
Some brands like Hasselblad the boxes sell for a $50 or more on eBay.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 05:18:59 pm »

Strangely enough all my camera and lens boxes are in my now defunct darkroom.  How's that for irony?
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up