Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roll Paper with Canon Pro 1000?  (Read 3333 times)

sstein0808

Roll Paper with Canon Pro 1000?
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:44:01 pm »

Are there any 3rd party driver options to use the Canon Pro1000 printer with a 3rd party roll paper holder?  Maybe Qimage or Imageprint?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:49:44 pm by sstein0808 »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Roll Paper with Canon Pro 1000?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 06:15:57 pm »

I don't know what you are asking here.  I have that printer and am unaware of any third party roll holder.  Certainly the Canon driver won't permit this as the printer requires sheet paper

Pete Berry

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »

I don't know what you are asking here.  I have that printer and am unaware of any third party roll holder.  Certainly the Canon driver won't permit this as the printer requires sheet paper

The decision by Canon to scrap the faultless, effortless powered roll of the proceeding 17" iPF5000/5100 models was a terrible one! If and when my 5100 gives up the ghost, it will be HP time for me.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 09:07:50 am »

Pete Berry - what 17" photo printers (with roll feeding) does HP have!?  Nothing...  It's all large format (24" and wider).  They don't even show anything smaller than 24":
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/large-format-printers/designjet-printers/pro-photo.html
Believe they are more involved with Latex and now Dye-sub models.

So if you're going the route of a roll function, just go with the Canon Pro-2100 (24") where it's auto feeding rolls now.  The new series is really effortless powered on feeding ;)

Not exactly sure why they removed the roll option on the Pro-1000, but we didn't get that many customers asking about the roll function as much (between options available on that size).  If I mentioned that this model didn't support rolls, majority of them would say they don't even mess with rolls because of the curl.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:29:40 pm »

Pete Berry - what 17" photo printers (with roll feeding) does HP have!?  Nothing...  It's all large format (24" and wider).  They don't even show anything smaller than 24":
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/large-format-printers/designjet-printers/pro-photo.html
Believe they are more involved with Latex and now Dye-sub models.

So if you're going the route of a roll function, just go with the Canon Pro-2100 (24") where it's auto feeding rolls now.  The new series is really effortless powered on feeding ;)

Not exactly sure why they removed the roll option on the Pro-1000, but we didn't get that many customers asking about the roll function as much (between options available on that size).  If I mentioned that this model didn't support rolls, majority of them would say they don't even mess with rolls because of the curl.

First, let me thank I.T. Supplies for their service and support of my Canon iPF5000 and 5100 since 2006. And the factory for unquestioned 24hr. turnaround head replacements after premature death of the original ones: a single call to Cannon support, which included the advice from the service rep. that if a single "normal" cleaning doesn't clear the error message and normalize nozzle test print, more cleaning is just a waste of ink (as it was with me initially) in these thermo-electic Bubble-jet nozzles.

I bought the orig. 5000 specifically for the utility of the roll system - for which I now have two extra spindles from past machines loaded with my proofing SG paper which prints very close to my display Ilford GFS baryta roll, and a matte paper I rarely use.

And yes, I know HP has never had a 17" archival printer w/ roll. Actually, I might go with the Canon 24", but I was trying to make a point!

sstein0808

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 08:17:24 am »

Hi Allan, 

Sorry for the late reply.  As you are probably aware, Canon realized new firmware which now supports up to 47.2" long. Since I am not aware of any paper that you can buy to handle this length, the ONLY option is roll paper.  So since I was very much wanting to print 47" x 17" on my Pro 1000, I purchased a roll, cut it to 48" and gave it a shot, manually holding and helping feeding the paper into the rear.  Worked great!.  So now in the future, I have "taken a flyer" and purchased the Epson P800 roll accessory and plan to custom mounted it on a wall directly behind and slightly above the rear of the printer.  Of course this would be very quirky and require that I strictly attend every roll paper print job, likely pre-cutting the paper to 47"  and just use the roller to hold up the long sheet until the print job was finished.  Let you know how this turns out soon, once I get the P800 roll accessory mounted.  I know, don't say it, this is probably crazy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up