Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anthropics Portrait Pro version 19, first impresssions  (Read 1152 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Anthropics Portrait Pro version 19, first impresssions
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:25:12 pm »

I've upgraded to the new version 19, and I must say that I like what it offers. The new feature additions make it a real upgrade.

Feature detection has improved, which makes the retouching more focused on the actual 'problem' areas. Skin quality has improved a lot (it looks even more natural), and there are many new controls that allow to tweak the results in a very detailed way.
Although I'm usually very conservative  with the Face sculpting features, they can help when applied with moderation. Even facial expressions can be controlled realisticly, with a choice between changing the smile, frown, surprise, interest, and thoughtful expression.

The improvements and the Black Friday discount made upgrading a lot less painful.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:13:20 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Anthropic Portrait Pro version 19, first impresssions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »

I don’t do enough portraiture to make this useful for me but I should look at a few tutorials just to keep up with things. A large client of mine has two retouchers and recently banned the program after all good sense was abandoned and the models ended up looking liking Barbie dolls. You can’t buy good taste it seems. The saturation’s slider is proof enough of that.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Anthropics Portrait Pro version 19, first impresssions
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 02:11:17 pm »

I don’t do enough portraiture to make this useful for me but I should look at a few tutorials just to keep up with things. A large client of mine has two retouchers and recently banned the program after all good sense was abandoned and the models ended up looking liking Barbie dolls. You can’t buy good taste it seems. The saturation’s slider is proof enough of that.

Restraint helps with getting good results very fast. As with all software, one can easily go overboard and overdo things.

Portrait Pro also allows to make one's own presets, once a good baseline has been agreed upon.

DP

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:22:15 pm »

He probably need to get rid of his retouchers instead...

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 03:29:36 pm »

Bart, thanks for the information

brandon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:37:01 pm »

I've upgraded to the new version 19, and I must say that I like what it offers. The new feature additions make it a real upgrade.

Feature detection has improved, which makes the retouching more focused on the actual 'problem' areas. Skin quality has improved a lot (it looks even more natural), and there are many new controls that allow to tweak the results in a very detailed way.
Although I'm usually very conservative  with the Face sculpting features, they can help when applied with moderation. Even facial expressions can be controlled realisticly, with a choice between changing the smile, frown, surprise, interest, and thoughtful expression.

The improvements and the Black Friday discount made upgrading a lot less painful.

Cheers,
Bart
Are you using the "Studio" edition, to get plug in to PS? How well does it work as a standalone?
Thanks

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »

Are you using the "Studio" edition, to get plug in to PS? How well does it work as a standalone?
Thanks

Hi Brandon,

I use the Studio version as a stand-alone mostly. I use Photoshop less and less as time goes by. I'm going to try and add the plugin to Affinity Photo.

Here are some of the new features:
https://www.anthropics.com/portraitpro/photo_editing_software/new_in_v19/

Cheers,
Bart

brandon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:12 pm »

Hi Brandon,

I use the Studio version as a stand-alone mostly. I use Photoshop less and less as time goes by. I'm going to try and add the plugin to Affinity Photo.

Here are some of the new features:
https://www.anthropics.com/portraitpro/photo_editing_software/new_in_v19/

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks Bart
I too use PS less , but still tend to do the Edit in round trip from Capture One so it could be helpful in that workflow.
Interested to hear if it integrates with Affinity.

Cheers
Brandon

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 10:45:44 pm »

He probably need to get rid of his retouchers instead...

In fairness it should be said they were under immense pressure from the director of marketing and the marketing manager. That entire team was replaced and the retouchers are still there doing much better work now.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

stormyboy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 12:01:34 am »

I haven't tried using Portrait Pro via Affinity yet since I usually use it from PS.  But, this thread got me curious and I found the following that might help, or not.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18299-portrait-pro-as-plugins/
Tom

brandon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:17:50 am »

I haven't tried using Portrait Pro via Affinity yet since I usually use it from PS.  But, this thread got me curious and I found the following that might help, or not.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18299-portrait-pro-as-plugins/
Tom
Thanks for advice. Worth purchasing the pro version I think over the basic. (I cant test outputs on the trial),
Cheers
Brandon

brandon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 02:51:09 am »

Tom

Found this page has info from Anthropics site https://www.anthropics.com/support/portraitpro/plugins/
Pages: [1]   Go Up