Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JPEG to RAW AI outputs to Capture One  (Read 589 times)

brandon

JPEG to RAW AI outputs to Capture One
« on: December 01, 2019, 02:36:53 am »

Id appreciate any experience with this.
It may be more an issue with how CO handles .RAW compared with .tif files, but will post here.
Its not about whether this application can make a true RAW file.
I have some photos I only captured as jpegs and I want the best ability to edit with few artifacts/best colour depth etc taken through to eg PS and topaz sharpening/clarity etc as I do with some raw captures.
The product seems to work well, considering what it starts with.
If I output as .tif (or .tiff) when imported in CO I cant do chromatic aberration correction. If I output as .dng, I can.
While the preview of these output formats looks the same in JPEG to Raw, once in Capture One they are very different.
This persists even if I use the file profile of generic tiff, or Adobe Raw (amongst others) for the .dng, using linear or auto profiles etc. The screen shot shows this for a 50% view of comparative files ( the two .dng represent with the original camera profile linear, and the one is Adobe DNG. The .jpeg is the original, the .tif is tiff processed with the camera profile).
I would happily output as .tif except keen to be able to correct CA for some photos.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:34:26 pm by brandon »

JaapD

Re: JPEG to RAW AI outputs to Capture One
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 01:45:33 am »

The thing is that you start with a jpg. The assumption here is that lens corrections, vignetting, etc.  have already taken place (in camera?) before the creation of the jpg. So when converting jpg to tif you wouldn’t do a second attempt of carrying out the corrections. A doubling of corrections would deteriorate your images.

The naming by Topaz ‘JPEG to RAW’ is false in my opinion, it should be ‘JPG to TIF’.

Regards,
Jaap.

brandon

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 04:54:01 pm »

Update:

I imported the same .DNG and .tiff files to a Lightroom catalogue (5.7) and the two look identical. It seems the issue is due to the way Capture One handles the two file types ("container" ).
It will be interesting if the CO20 update with better DNG generic support as announced will fix this. As they are really just tiffs it is not something Im dependent on the capabilities of the raw converter, I guess, so not a big issue other than workflow variation.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 06:49:44 am »

Update:

I imported the same .DNG and .tiff files to a Lightroom catalogue (5.7) and the two look identical. It seems the issue is due to the way Capture One handles the two file types ("container" ).
It will be interesting if the CO20 update with better DNG generic support as announced will fix this. As they are really just tiffs it is not something Im dependent on the capabilities of the raw converter, I guess, so not a big issue other than workflow variation.

Yes, I assume it is due to the different interpretation of the DNG (meta)data. The new C1 version 20 does handle DNGs differently when selecting the DNG Standard film curve (and there can be other Curves to choose from as well). Also, the new HDR tone-mapping tool is a great improvement, and noise reduction has been improved to retain more detail.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Until now I've been using TIFF output from JPEG to RAW AI, but that may now change, we'll see. For Chromatic Aberration correction, Affinity Photo does a great job, even on TIFFs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:54:22 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up