Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogeti Geared head, L bracket and TSE frame  (Read 3299 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Rogeti Geared head, L bracket and TSE frame
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:19:20 am »

I've been asked to try out Rogeti's new geared tripod head - it's a rather solid bit of kit and quite compact (10kg load). The head is definitely of use for my architectural work, but if anyone has any questions, please do let me know, since my usage scenarios for such a head are relatively limited, along with my experience of higher end tripod heads ;-)

The request came about after I'd used one of their TSE frames (for Canon TS-E 17/24ii/50mm lenses) for some time, and a new slightly lighter version was announced.

TSE Frame update: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rogeti-tse-frame-v3plus/

I've go the head here for a while to check, as well as an 'L' bracket they've produced (5D3/4/S and some Sony bodies).

L bracket: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/l-bracket-for-canon-5div-5ds-r-and-5diii/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Rogeti Geared head, L bracket and TSE frame
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 11:07:00 am »

Keith, I'm more interested in the L bracket than in the head, I confess: were you able to compare it to the RRS L bracket?

I've had RRS brackets for Canon 5d2 and 5ds and been very happy with them but I'm about to change to a Sony A7Riv, which will entail buying a new one, and I'm always open to change.

Jeremy

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:30:26 am »

Keith, I'm more interested in the L bracket than in the head, I confess: were you able to compare it to the RRS L bracket?

I've had RRS brackets for Canon 5d2 and 5ds and been very happy with them but I'm about to change to a Sony A7Riv, which will entail buying a new one, and I'm always open to change.

Jeremy
No, I'm afraid I've not come across RRS kit in my travels (heard of it, yes, but never seen it ;-)  )

I've only got the 5Ds version here (see the link) but they make version for some Sony bodies.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 12:52:25 pm »

That head looks really interesting. I recently bought the Benro head in that one photo used for size comparison. I’m fond of geared heads. Love how compact that thing is.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:33 pm »

That head looks really interesting. I recently bought the Benro head in that one photo used for size comparison. I’m fond of geared heads. Love how compact that thing is.
The Benro is one I use quite a lot, and in comparison, the movement of the Rogeti is smoother, but without the spring loaded clutches.

The Rogeti has good clear levels, with the choice of different top plates giving quite a few options. I've not had good weather to take it out and try much with it, but I may take it (and the L bracket/TSE Frame) on an interior shoot next week if I'm comfortable with it.

RobertJ

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 10:53:09 pm »

Finally someone besides Arca Swiss, Manfrotto, Cambo, or Benro has made a geared head.  Have I just found my next tripod head?

In this video, the movements look a bit "jumpy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndSjsPFO8W4

Is it just the way he's turning the knob?  Are the movements smooth if you turn the knobs slowly?  Have you noticed any "play" that people have complained about with the Manfrotto 410 and 405?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:03:21 am »

Finally someone besides Arca Swiss, Manfrotto, Cambo, or Benro has made a geared head.  Have I just found my next tripod head?

In this video, the movements look a bit "jumpy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndSjsPFO8W4

Is it just the way he's turning the knob?  Are the movements smooth if you turn the knobs slowly?  Have you noticed any "play" that people have complained about with the Manfrotto 410 and 405?

I'm inclined to say it's partly the video and partly how the knob is being turned.

I was using the head yesterday afternoon as part of my testing of  the Fotodiox M645->EOS RF T/S adapter, with amongst others a M645 Mamiya 210/4 on it (note that I've the Rogeti extender/handle unit in the back, partly as a counterweight.

The roll movement (side knob) is particularly smooth, with only slightly more initial resistance to moving - the rubber sleeves on the knobs give a good feel without needing to grip too tightly. An option to have larger grips for the knobs might suit some people with less strength in their grip?

The pitch control (2 knobs front/back) needs a bit of care with setting the clutch, since this affects the feel of the controls - but still smooth.

Compared to the Benro (which I do like) the Rogeti has lots more levels and is much quicker to level. I was using it with the EOS RP, the (brightened) view on the rear screen shows (red) focus peaking for an up-shifted Mamiya 35/3.5 lens.

For my 5Ds, I've also got their L bracket with 3 (X/Y/Z) levels - I was using this the other day with the Benro head, with a TS-E17, moving location a lot and finding the X/Y/Z levels in the bracket giving me a faster and more consistent level than the single (circular) level of the Benro head.

I've another interior shoot tomorrow and I'm now happy to take the Rogeti head on a paying job where I'll be using the 5Ds and TSE frame with 17/24mm TS-E lenses (as in the video)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
A day's use on an interior shoot.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 04:47:51 pm »

I took the head with me on a job today - photographing interiors in a new up-market apartment complex for the company responsible for flooring.

Lots of up/down stitched pairs of shots with the TS-E17 - getting in rather more floor than i might usually include ;-)

Compared to my Benro geared head it's somewhat lighter and more compact, but perhaps most noticeable was the quicker and more accurate levelling I was getting. I was using the Rogeti L bracket and for a few shifted pairs of shots a TSE frame, mounting the shift lens to the tripod, where a fixed camera and shifted lens might create too obvious parallax.

Quite a rush working between teams of cleaners and people dressing areas, so a lot of moving about for shots. Not a lot I can add other than it felt like I've added another step up in quality for my workflow.

BAB

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 06:53:07 pm »

Keith

you think if would support a heavy camera like H6d and say a 28mm lens?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:23:54 am »

Keith

you think if would support a heavy camera like H6d and say a 28mm lens?

I've not got one here to test, but when I had an H6D, 28mm and an HTS adapter to try, I used my Benro GD3WH and it was fine.

Now, without checking the specs I couldn't say for sure, but if the H6D kit returned I'd happily try it...

I used it this week for a slightly rushed interior shoot (dodging people shifting boxes/furniture about the site) where I was moving around a lot. Lots of up/down stitched shots with a TS-E17 where levelling is particularly critical.

From the post processing work I'd say it helped reduce slight levelling errors considerably.  I usually expect a few in some shots, when in a hurry, but the levelling vials in the head (and the L bracket) really helped. Now this could be because the new head made me think about it, but when you've got less than a minute to set up and get some shots it gave me confidence that things were OK.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 12:08:39 pm »

If anyone is curious, I've written up some notes on my use of the head over the last few weeks

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rogeti-rg-1-geared-tripod-head-review/

It's a very nice bit of kit and I've been impressed by the utility of its design.

That said, it's currently $679 and a lot of money for some - but if you were looking at some of the more expensive options then definitely worth a look. I'll be interested to hear reports from anyone trying it, with experience of much more expensive kit...

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 02:44:42 pm »

Hi Keith,
Thanks for all of the interesting info on the Rogeti gear. I am particularly interested in the TSE frame as I shoot architecture and interiors.
Did I read correctly that you use the TSE frame for " TSE frames (for Canon TS-E 17/24ii/50mm lenses)" AND 50mm TSE lens? Everything I have read to date only talks about it working with the 17 & 24 but not the 50. I would be great if it did as I always like to shoot with the longest lens possible.
Thanks,
Michael

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:18 pm »

Hi Keith,
Thanks for all of the interesting info on the Rogeti gear. I am particularly interested in the TSE frame as I shoot architecture and interiors.
Did I read correctly that you use the TSE frame for " TSE frames (for Canon TS-E 17/24ii/50mm lenses)" AND 50mm TSE lens? Everything I have read to date only talks about it working with the 17 & 24 but not the 50. I would be great if it did as I always like to shoot with the longest lens possible.
Thanks,
Michael
There are now two versions one for the 17/24 and a slightly different one for the TS-E50. They are not interchangeable.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rogeti-tse-frame-tse-50/

I asked and they currently have no plans for the TS-E90 and 135

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 04:29:11 pm »

Thanks for the info Keith. I do hope they make a version for the 90

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 04:58:44 pm »

Thanks for the info Keith. I do hope they make a version for the 90
I'd suggest asking them directly?

They have been interested in feedback and observations whenever I've worked with them.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »

A question about L-brackets, which I am in the market for, is there a reason why they have to be mounted on the left side of the camera (looking from behind) where there are all the connections (in my Nikon at least) and not on the right side where the memory cards are located. 

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 03:17:21 am »

A question about L-brackets, which I am in the market for, is there a reason why they have to be mounted on the left side of the camera (looking from behind) where there are all the connections (in my Nikon at least) and not on the right side where the memory cards are located.
Yes - you wouldn't be able to open the card door on my 1Ds/1D3/5Ds, all of which I've brackets for, if the bracket fitted on the right

They are designed so that all the cables can be used whist the bracket is fitted - it's why you get different brackets made for different cameras.

Not having ever used a Nikon camera, I can only speak for the Canon versions, but it looks the same.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 06:56:56 am »

Yes - you wouldn't be able to open the card door on my 1Ds/1D3/5Ds, all of which I've brackets for, if the bracket fitted on the right

They are designed so that all the cables can be used whist the bracket is fitted - it's why you get different brackets made for different cameras.

Not having ever used a Nikon camera, I can only speak for the Canon versions, but it looks the same.

Thanks Keith for the response. 

When I am shooting I am less likely (perhaps never) to want to use the memory card door and almost always likely to use the remote shutter release and the USB connection for tethered shooting.  So I can get away by installing the bracket turned around covering the card door side.  The reason I am thinking this way is that I hesitate with the idea of buying a dedicated bracket for each camera (cost + weight.)  Fixing it over the other side will make the bracket universal, as long as the camera dimensions permit it.  I guess I will just have to buy one and check. 

:Niranjan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up