Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada: Beyond Banff, Yukon and Northwest Territories  (Read 1962 times)

dreed

Canada: Beyond Banff, Yukon and Northwest Territories
« on: November 23, 2019, 10:37:57 pm »

Scouting for new places to visit, I've seen a few images from Yukon and NWT that look a bit interesting.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where and when to visit these rather remote locations?

Also tips on how to get there and get around would be welcome as it looks like there are vast tracts of land without so much as a gas station.

B-Ark

Re: Canada: Beyond Banff, Yukon and Northwest Territories
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 06:55:45 am »

Yes, some very spectacular scenery. All my trips so far have been charters where a bush plane or helicopter dropped me off in the middle of nowhere, and then several weeks hiking out. You can drive the Dempster Highway all the way to the Arctic Ocean - last item on my list.

Elsewhere in the high Arctic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gristmill/2228707410/in/album-72157603845132749/

At the other end of the country, the west coast of Newfoundland is spectacular and accessible.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:00:46 pm »

Good aurora in Yellowknife. Fairly civilized place re accommodation, car rentals, etc. Lots of guided activities.

-30 °C, dress warmly.

Two shots from the ice roads.

BAB

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »

the only place I am considering which has been photographed by a few is the Tombstone Mountain Range (zombies) just outside of Dawson City. You can get to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone_Territorial_Park by Heli and then be there for a week working the range and lakes. There is another area just to the north also worth the trip but I can not remember the name.
Here is the issue and if it can be solved you can count me in as a member of the group to go up there. Two services providing guides into the park, setting up camp and supplies are available for a reasonable fee. The problem even though they travel in a small group the Heli in is appx 1200 one way so 2400 RT. So I asked what if we get in the park and a storm comes what's the plan B I was told we wait it out. Well taking planes up the Whitehorse then Heli it to Dawson City then Heli it into park to meet a storm with out a ride out of the storm to go somewhere else for a week to shoot is a bad idea. NOW if there happen to be FOUR photographers heck even two to split the cost of a emergency air lift and we had sat phones IM IN! My real preference would be to have a Heli take us to different spots daily. I would say that 1st-2nd week September is the only time to go.

Please see attachments

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:42:41 pm by BAB »
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BAB

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 05:43:35 pm »

here are a few others
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

hogloff

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 12:26:28 pm »

the only place I am considering which has been photographed by a few is the Tombstone Mountain Range (zombies) just outside of Dawson City. You can get to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone_Territorial_Park by Heli and then be there for a week working the range and lakes. There is another area just to the north also worth the trip but I can not remember the name.
Here is the issue and if it can be solved you can count me in as a member of the group to go up there. Two services providing guides into the park, setting up camp and supplies are available for a reasonable fee. The problem even though they travel in a small group the Heli in is appx 1200 one way so 2400 RT. So I asked what if we get in the park and a storm comes what's the plan B I was told we wait it out. Well taking planes up the Whitehorse then Heli it to Dawson City then Heli it into park to meet a storm with out a ride out of the storm to go somewhere else for a week to shoot is a bad idea. NOW if there happen to be FOUR photographers heck even two to split the cost of a emergency air lift and we had sat phones IM IN! My real preference would be to have a Heli take us to different spots daily. I would say that 1st-2nd week September is the only time to go.

Please see attachments

It might be too dangerous to Heli you out during a storm...so you might have to wait it out. Did you ask how often people were stranded because of a storm?

BAB

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 03:20:56 pm »

The point is up there you know when a front is coming having a reasonable backup plan is something I would have in place anywhere I go so why not up there?

chez

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »

The point is up there you know when a front is coming having a reasonable backup plan is something I would have in place anywhere I go so why not up there?

So if you can predict the weather so far in advance...why not check it before going?

Personally I believe a storm can come up pretty quick and the backu plan is to hunker down until it is safe enough to get the helicopter back in. What exactly do you want them to do...risk life so you can take photo somewhere else?

If you look at the fine print of most landscape photography tours they mention weather is unpredictable and can affect the tour...all to no fault of the tour organizers.

Your other option is to hike out...about 2 to 3 days depending what campsite you are at.

BAB

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 02:42:49 pm »

Chez
thanks for you reply

dreed

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 12:51:57 pm »

I would say that 1st-2nd week September is the only time to go.

Maybe in 2022 and beyond.

Seems that there are limitations on where you can fly to, such as near Talus Lake (campground 1km). Challenging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up