Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryzen 3900x Build - which graphics card?  (Read 2751 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Ryzen 3900x Build - which graphics card?
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:30:40 pm »

Hi all,

I'm about to get into the nitty-gritty of a new desktop build for 2020 and onwards.

I'll be using the computer for a predominantly CaptureOne and final post production in Photoshop (layered IQ4150 files)
We also do a video work i Premiere and Resolve and I use LR Timelapse heavily for timelapse post production.

I've sorted the basics of the build out and they can be seen herewith the core being around the Ryzen 3900x 12 core processor.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mjfz7T

Some of the items (namely harddrives) I already own.

My main question is around selecting a graphics card.  In the past I have always gone for a Quadro for 10 bit colour, but now Nvidia have opened it up to the 20xx line this is an optino.

Given my use case above:
  • Is there any reason to still consider a Quadro or a Radeon card?
  • Will I see any major gains going to more than 8gb of Vram?
  • Is there any reason I should consider a 2x graphics card set up for C1?

If there is anything else that captures your eye, please let me know.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Peter McLennan

Re: Ryzen 3900x Build - which graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 05:59:23 pm »

I *think* your choice of Ryzen over Intel will determine that your graphics card must also be AMD.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:07:44 pm »

Did a 3800X build last night for my Insta360 Pro2/Titan stuff.  Ended up going with the RTX 2070 Super for the time being - mostly because there's not a lot of benchmarking around the files I'm working with.  What is your actual deliverable resolution?  Are you putting out content in 4K or 8K?

Doing SLI or 2 cards is a waste in 2019 - a single card on the PCIe 4.0 bus is as much as you'll need.
t: @PNWMF

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:26 pm »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for chiming in.  I always value your opinion in this world of digital chaos (at least in my mind it's chaos)

Deliverables for final videos are generally 4K. 
However the Timelapse videos are often rendered as native resolution.  So a mix of 6k-8k depending on which camera I used for that composition.

What Mobo did you end up going for with the build you did last night? 

Thanks again!

A

Did a 3800X build last night for my Insta360 Pro2/Titan stuff.  Ended up going with the RTX 2070 Super for the time being - mostly because there's not a lot of benchmarking around the files I'm working with.  What is your actual deliverable resolution?  Are you putting out content in 4K or 8K?

Doing SLI or 2 cards is a waste in 2019 - a single card on the PCIe 4.0 bus is as much as you'll need.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 02:02:56 am »

It's all chaos - I ended up going cheap - here's the build:

MSI X570-A Pro
Ryzen 7 3800X
Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus
Crucial 2x16GB 3200 DDR4
MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus 8gb
Cooler Master case & 750watt power supply
(already had a Asus 10gb ethernet card)
All told $1,700 USD.

It's my first build in over a decade - some things never change. The case is huge and WTF is with these LED color changing BS?!?!  I don't get what PC makers are doing - I don't need a bunch of PCIe 1x slots, but I'll take as many NVMe M.2 slots you'll give me.  Why are there 5 3.5mm ports for audio (plus optical), and lots of SATA ports. The case is empty - like the graphics card is huge & there's room for airflow, but it could be half the size.

I'm 99% of the time a laptop user - MBP 2017 - and while I can do most editing on it, the 360 video stuff killed my computer.  That and the software has a NVIDIA slant.  So to get a render desktop for these tasks was huge.  It is setup to just sit there and render for hours on end - the graphics card was the most expensive part.
<more to come>
t: @PNWMF

datro

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:04:14 am »

Regarding Quadro vs GeForce:

My HP Z800 workstation was originally built with a Quadro 600 card (1GB VRAM) and I recently upgraded to a NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super (8GB VRAM) using the new Studio driver that fully supports 30-bit graphics displays.  So far I'm very happy, especially that the two fans don't seem to make much additional noise (if any), even when the card is being driven hard by software using the GPU or memory.

Dave

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 01:20:48 pm »

My 2-cents:

Go with the GTX2070 Super. I like the Radeon products, especially the Radeon VII, but the Super is less expensive for excellent performance. I find it hard to get photographer-oriented, 2D benchmarks. Whenever you see GPU benchmarks, it's all about games -- which I couldn't really care about. If you find one that really looks at Lightroom and PS performance, let me know!

geneo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 09:52:49 pm »

My 2-cents:

Go with the GTX2070 Super. I like the Radeon products, especially the Radeon VII, but the Super is less expensive for excellent performance. I find it hard to get photographer-oriented, 2D benchmarks. Whenever you see GPU benchmarks, it's all about games -- which I couldn't really care about. If you find one that really looks at Lightroom and PS performance, let me know!

Another recommendation for the 2070 super. Plenty of horsepower and a decent price. Use this to drive my Eizo and Viewsonix 2560x1440 displays. Should work fine with your AMD processor.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

JaapD

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 03:11:39 am »

Agreed, an AMD 3rd gen. CPU in combination with a Nvidia GPU (10xx and 20xx series, supporting the 10 bit Studio driver) would give plenty of horsepower.

With respect to GPU benchmarks the gaming benchmarks are indeed of limited use. However the OpenCL benchmarks are the ones that we should focus on.

Regards,
Jaap.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 06:08:05 am »

I would buy a dedicated PCI-e 4.0 connected GPU.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JaapD

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 02:10:29 am »

This will be only relevant in case of saturating the bandwidth of the PCIe interface. Several benchmarks show that this will be seldom or not the case with PCIe 3.0.

However, If I’d purchase a new PC or motherboard I would also select one with PCIe 4.0 interface. My PC’s last long so the choice may be beneficial in let’s say 8 years time  ;)

Regards,
Jaap

FabienP

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 05:15:16 pm »

I would buy a dedicated PCI-e 4.0 connected GPU.

Currently that means being limited to AMD Radeon 5500 or 5700 Navi GPUs. These are not well suited for photography or video workloads since they lack 10bit per channel and are weaker than their NVIDIA counterparts for computing. It is unclear if this will be addressed with newer drivers or if those points are inherent limitations in the hardware.

PCIe 4 GPUs will be useful in the future to be used in 8 lanes configurations, effectively doubling the available bandwidth in mainstream processors. It will be possible to use two cards in 8 + 8 lanes with no loss of bus speed compared to current PCIe 3 devices.

Cheers,

Fabien

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 05:43:45 pm »

RTX 2060,2070 or 2080 is the only way to go at the Moment.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

geneo

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:45:40 am »

Agreed, an AMD 3rd gen. CPU in combination with a Nvidia GPU (10xx and 20xx series, supporting the 10 bit Studio driver) would give plenty of horsepower.

With respect to GPU benchmarks the gaming benchmarks are indeed of limited use. However the OpenCL benchmarks are the ones that we should focus on.

Regards,
Jaap.

The Nvidia game-ready drivers support 10-bit now too. They might not be as stable though. I expect the studio will just be game-ready driver snapshots that Nvidia thinks are more stable, if that is not what they are doing already.

JaapD

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 12:19:59 am »

That’s pure speculation. I don’t know why you write this, anything personal against Nvidia? Following my own and several others' experiences as well as checking reliable sources from the Internet I can only say: The Nvidia Studio driver is absolutely great and drop dead stable!

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:21:42 am by JaapD »

geneo

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 12:53:06 am »

That’s pure speculation. I don’t know why you write this, anything personal against Nvidia? Following my own and several others' experiences as well as checking reliable sources from the Internet I can only say: The Nvidia Studio driver is absolutely great and drop dead stable!

Regards,
Jaap.

You misunderstood me. I meant that the game-ready drivers might not be as stable as the studio drivers.  The "think aew more stable" is indeed a dig at nvidia releases though - I have experienced numerous issues with their drivers - but  I hold no grudge with them. Playing games exercises their drivers in ways that photo-editing cannot :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:57:39 am by geneo »

tived

• http://
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 06:30:52 pm »

I *think* your choice of Ryzen over Intel will determine that your graphics card must also be AMD.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

Hi Peter,

I have noticed you keep mentioning that if people choose AMD CPU they will have to use AMD graphics card!?

Can I ask what is your reasoning behind this?

Thanks

Henrik

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 07:29:31 pm »

None I can think off. I have now three different workstations running AMD Ryzen and Nvidia graphic cards. No problems at all. Best of both worlds.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

geneo

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 07:40:10 pm »

Regards,
Jaap.

AMD seems to be better at OpenCL than Nvidia. Nvidia went in the CUDA direction. Photoshop uses OpenCL. Someone posted PugetBench Photoshop results with an an AMD RX 480 in these forum. I ran the same benchmark with my Nvidia 2070 Super. the AMD benched better than my 2070 Super (and it cost a lot less). And the AMD is a lesser card in terms of games.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:04:04 pm by geneo »

tived

• http://
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »

Hi Geneo

Do you have a link to the benchmark

I thought it was the other way around, OpenGL is used predominantly in CAD 3D and there Nvidia is favoured. I could have gotten it mixed up

I have a RYZEN 9 3900x with ASUS RTX 2070 super, happy to put it to the test

Henrik
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up