Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indoor street - at a long stretch.  (Read 415 times)

Rob C

Indoor street - at a long stretch.
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »

One from a few years ago; the old man has gone - geez! I"m referring to a guy probably about my own age, so help me! - and the daughter may or may nor be running a beauty parlour any more. The easy-eats diner was a godsend in winter because it remained open all year, unlike the general run of places in this little resort town. Sadly, the diner's owner also retired (but lived on - and seems very cheerful whenever I see him around) and it became a totally different kind of place, run by an ex-chemist who always made the perfect gypsy, even when in a white coat.

In the end, best not to depend too much on things.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Indoor street - at a long stretch.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »

I like that a lot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 06:49:51 am »

Rob,

A wonderful moment.

This reminds me of a little cafe that my wife and I frequent after an early morning walk. Which means getting out super early to catch first light from pre dawn though sun up. It is, and will be the best memories in my life.

Thanks for this...

Peter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:57:18 pm by petermfiore »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:42:41 am »

Thank you, Eric and Peter.

Isn't it remarkable how simple things can convey quite a lot sometimes.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:52 am »

Interesting atmospheric, Rob. Looks as if you've been doing street for a long time.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 12:44:35 pm »

Interesting atmospheric, Rob. Looks as if you've been doing street for a long time.

Funnily enough, though, years ago, I never went out onto the street intending to make street pictures as such, my fashion era saw me strive for natural-looking situations into which to place the model. Though the vast majority of the work was shot against a white paper roll, it was the location work I loved. The calendar period that pushed fashion aside for me was almost 100% location; loved that too.

I think the truth of the matter is to be found way back when I was so young, and the inevitable conditioning from the work I chose to swin in whenever it became visible. It was so difficult back in the 50s and 60s when seeing stuff meant buying magazines, and so few were publishing what I wanted to see. In fact, it really boils down to my introduction, via Pop Phot Annual in '58 or '59, to the work of Saul Leiter. He rang a bell that was never stilled. He just opened an emotional door that I'm not sure I had previously seen. I suppose that beyond lay a field of quiet emotions and unexpected connections between other people's events and my own spiritual recognition of them as, perhaps, a common experience. Maybe a more simple way of putting it is that it became interesting to watch people.

I'm not sure where this is going, so I shall draw the line under it there!

;-)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:34:37 pm »

Echoes of Elliot Erwitt, Rob, who did excellent commercial work, but when the day's work was over took his Leica out into the madding crowd and did the stuff that moved his readers all over the world. All of this has been street. My only beef is that I wish you'd make the pictures larger. My 90 year-old eyes rebel.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 04:22:41 pm »

Echoes of Elliot Erwitt, Rob, who did excellent commercial work, but when the day's work was over took his Leica out into the madding crowd and did the stuff that moved his readers all over the world. All of this has been street. My only beef is that I wish you'd make the pictures larger. My 90 year-old eyes rebel.

On the computer, as I make them for the website, the actual image width is 650px. The white border with black rim takes it to a final 810px. I don't like to make them larger because the way I see things, even when editing, is at that around that size, it gives me a general sense of wholeness, whereas if larger, I inevitably find myself scanning the pic and being distracted by smaller areas of it that, for me, kill the integrity. That's not to say I don't view at varying image sizes when working on the shot, of course.

Actually, quite a few posters post large images here on LuLa and they become impossible to see as straight pix without scrolling. I simply refuse to do it. Making a photo bigger does not make it better, just bigger, IMO. Eric once told me how to reduce such images to fit the screen, but I don't want to have to keep resetting things because a few are too large for my screens. Most of my viewing these days is on a small iPad, anyway, the computer and the monitor only used for processing images; it's far more comfortable viewing as a couch potato than in the cold office, sitting in a swivel chair. Also, the iPad screen is quite flattering, much of the time.

Rob

rabanito

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 05:09:37 pm »

Actually, quite a few posters post large images here on LuLa and they become impossible to see as straight pix without scrolling. I simply refuse to do it. Making a photo bigger does not make it better, just bigger, IMO. Eric once told me how to reduce such images to fit the screen, but I don't want to have to keep resetting things because a few are too large for my screens.
Rob

Ctrl+ and Ctrl- are very fast for resizing the screen and making the images behave

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »

Ctrl+ and Ctrl- are very fast for resizing the screen and making the images behave

Thanks, I think that was Eric's advice too; but it doesn't change the fact that I don't want to have to do that in the first place.

If memory serves, Chris (from the earlier LuLa) advised a given size of submission image that avoided those kinds of problems. I think it was something around a thousand px at the largest dimension.

As I pointed out, the images I place here come from the website, so unless there is incentive to make multiple sizes, which there ain't, WYSIWYG.

:-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »

This is how I have always dealt with the issue...

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up