Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Those who wont call to discuss their shoot  (Read 5469 times)

kevs

Those who wont call to discuss their shoot
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:03:39 pm »

I've noticed that of the 6-7 inquires I have gotten in the last few years,  from those are too busy to call to discuss their shoot,  none has ever ended up booking a shoot.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Rob C

Re: Those who wont call to discuss their shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »

I've noticed that of the 6-7 inquires I have gotten in the last few years,  from those are too busy to call to discuss their shoot,  none has ever ended up booking a shoot.

Are you sure it wasn't a fishing expedition, where all they want is a price to play around with for whatever reasons?

Rob

kevs

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »

Thanks Rob. Well this last one from supposedly a UK company. It was sent from a legit company email. ANd he had some legit looking text about the job and a mood board.  This one did not seem scammy. Still all these Millenials who wont call to discuss their own inquiry. And even when I quote a rate, by email, just guessing as I don't have all info I need; I never get the gig... Yeah. I do think they are probably fishing for a cheap rate, and are with a cheap company that does not value photographers or quality.

I could forward you the email if you want to PM me....

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:35:27 pm »

I won’t book a shoot until I have met the client face to face. Never been scammed.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »

Thanks Martin, great reply! You need a meeting, not even a call suffices.

But listen, the clients I'm writing about are not heavy duty big advertising. Small fry -- but not consumer.

Could be publicity company who has been hired to shoot some corporate headshots or an local event. These are not dreams job, but could pay, $500 to $1500 for a few hours.. So easy rent money.

I can't turn them down flat.. many are actually legit; but I find it highly annoying some (probably young millenials who don't use phone much), so wont call or do a call, even though I've emailed to call to discuss it - which would take 6 minutes or so.

That said, of 6-7 that I've emailed rates to, I've never gotten the gig anyway. So even though I need the money, and is probably legit.. I'm thinking of composing a letter that I can't do business with them and keep me in mind for future gigs that are important enough to call; or maybe just not respond to their response which informs me they don't have time to call, but need a general quick quote...

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »

Different countries have different cultures though Kevs. What works for me in South Africa might not work elsewhere. Also I don’t work much for agencies. I prefer to work directly for manufacturers and importers and distributors. I am particularly fond of manufacturers that are owner managed.

Years back most of my work came from Agencies. For many reasons I slowly got out of that and I pleased I did.

kevs

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:11:36 pm »

Martin, so of these companies, (and they sound small a bit like ones I get inquires from); How often you get an email, after your email requesting to talk live, where they respond they don't have time to call, but would just like a quote?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:25 pm »

Martin, so of these companies, (and they sound small a bit like ones I get inquires from); How often you get an email, after your email requesting to talk live, where they respond they don't have time to call, but would just like a quote?

Once I get an email I call. I like to go from email to call to meeting. A bit old fashioned but Im almost sixty and it works for me. Its an interview process and from both sides. Pointless trying to work for someone when its not a good fit. If the person can't engage in this manner we are most likely not really going to be a good fit

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:09 pm »

When I owned a construction subcontracting firm, the general contractors would ask for a quote for my work which required considerable time to review construction plans and work out an estimate.  They often had their regular subs who they would give the work too regardless.  But they needed a lower price to beat down their own sub's prices.  Waste of my time so I stopped giving them pricing or a really high price off the cuff.  This might not be the situation in your case.  I don;t know.  But it is the kind of thing that happened in my industry.   

People tend to shop around and ask numerous firms for prices so they can buy the lowest price, especially if it's a one-shot deal and they never need you again.  Regulat companies need dependable subs so they tend to go back to them often or just a few that they can depend on.  On the other hand, I've seen big firms only buy lowest price no matter what.  They're all kinds. 

kevs

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:33 pm »

Thanks Alan/ Martin again. so Alan, you concur that people who send email inquiries, of which I reply "sounds great, can you please give me a call...."   And they email back "I don't have time right now to call... but can you please send a quote .... You would not bother replying with a quote? Something fishy there? They are either weird or just fishing for the lowest bottom feeder photographer..?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:22:27 pm »

Thanks Alan/ Martin again. so Alan, you concur that people who send email inquiries, of which I reply "sounds great, can you please give me a call...."   And they email back "I don't have time right now to call... but can you please send a quote .... You would not bother replying with a quote? Something fishy there? They are either weird or just fishing for the lowest bottom feeder photographer..?

Too busy to make to take a call so where will they find the time to brief properly or process an invoice and make a payment? Anyway an email takes no less time than a quick call and the call can quickly resolve issues and actually save time. It’s bullshit in my opinion.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 11:23:01 pm »

I don;t know if it's fishy, but it does sound like someone's fishing.    You could send an email back asking them when it would be convenient for you to call them to discuss the matter further.  You'd like to go over the details so you can be most accurate in your quote.  Especially if you never met them or worked for them before. 

Another thought.  Some organization need three quotes to give out the job to the lowest bidder.  They want to give it to someone they know but are required by organization rules to get multiple quotes.  So they called a few and submit the higher priced ones and then give it to their friend who has the low bid.  Or they just use your quote, give its price to their friend who submits a slightly lower quote and they award the "lowest bidder".   

That's why you want to meet someone.  To line them up.  They still could be playing games, but it gives you another chance to evaluate them and their honesty and forthrightness.  Like I said.  I don't know your business.  So I could be all wrong.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 11:26:06 pm »

You can clearly hear that Alan has been around block in business and I agree with him totally.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 11:27:19 pm »

You can clearly hear that Alan has been around block in business and I agree with him totally.
Thanks Martin. You see.  We can agree on things. :)

kevs

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 11:36:12 pm »

Thanks guys. Ok well I might work on a short email reply to that, and post it later... I'll include that bit about me calling and it helps  me set up the price.

That said, most of those types (none of who I know at all yet), are probably just firing out a bunch of emails and want to get numbers fast... so obnoxious, but it is what it is.. again.. newer generation mostly who don't talk on phone as much.. The world of impersonal communication.. But this is not the norm.thankfully;  only get this type every few months.... again I  never land the job... So thinking of maybe not even replying at all to that.. but maybe I write a short two sentence blurb.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 11:49:27 pm »

Nothing wrong with responding especially if it only takes a couple of minutes.  People are busy, even millennials.  :)
Good luck.  Tell us how you made out.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 11:57:42 pm »

Thanks Martin. You see.  We can agree on things. :)

Well of course. Why wouldn’t we?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 12:24:11 am »

Ok... I’ll admit...I am perplexed... what exactly is the issue here? People ask for a quote and then don’t want to waste their time listening to a sales pitch? Perfectly normal, Millennials or not. I personally try to avoid a call at an early stage, when I just want to get an idea of what the price might be. All other reasons Alan mentioned are possible too. Especially obtaining three competitive offers.

Ever seen those websites where they promise to give you competitive offers for, say, car insurance, real estate, or mortgage? Before they display the results, they inevitably want your phone number to proceed. At that stage, I simply drop the inquiry and leave the site. Do I really want to give them my number, only to be called incessantly in the next few days by sales people?

kevs

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 12:52:25 am »

Thanks Slo for that perspective, gives some understanding on it... but in world on photography, most people will be ok with talking to the photographer about their job....

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 01:47:25 pm »

Ok... I’ll admit...I am perplexed... what exactly is the issue here? People ask for a quote and then don’t want to waste their time listening to a sales pitch? Perfectly normal, Millennials or not. I personally try to avoid a call at an early stage, when I just want to get an idea of what the price might be.

I seem to recall that you are not a professional and you seem to be responding from the perspective of the sort of client under discussion here. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to speak with the photographer from their perspective. However, for many professional photographers, prospective clients whose only criteria is price are not the sort of clients on which to build a sustainable business. Aside from that, many photographers tend to need more information about the assignment than the prospect provides in the initial inquiry, and a phone conversation can sometimes be the most efficient way to achieve this.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up