Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Attempt at Lifestyle Stock Photography  (Read 561 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
My Attempt at Lifestyle Stock Photography
« on: November 14, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »

Well, I have not submitted it to any library, but just reminded me of what you can usually find there. Just sitting at a bar, observing:

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: My Attempt at Lifestyle Stock Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:19:58 am »

Surely, it's got to be worth a few cents?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 03:46:54 am »

Surely, it's got to be worth a few cents?

Nah, by the time you shoot, process and submit it you've spent more on power than you'd get back. If you do the safe thing and buy a model release, then God help you in the same way as if you don't: you will be poorer still. Anyway, the world is full of far better shots of the same thing also not getting any financial traction. Time for photographers to get with the new reality: you've killed your own love child.

;-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:40 am »

Nah, by the time you shoot, process and submit it you've spent more on power than you'd get back. If you do the safe thing and buy a model release, then God help you in the same way as if you don't: you will be poorer still. Anyway, the world is full of far better shots of the same thing also not getting any financial traction. Time for photographers to get with the new reality: you've killed your own love child.

;-)

Rob, it would seem I should have concluded with a wink!

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:12:15 am »

And the model releases...................; )

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »

Pretty girl, though.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 02:01:38 pm »

Pretty girl, though.

The key to many an undoing!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 02:10:26 pm »

Ok... to clarify:

I should have made a clearer thread title: My Attempt at Mimicking Lifestyle Stock Photography. I have no intention of submitting this to any stock library, for a variety of reasons, not the least one would be the lack of a model release.

I did what I do with my photography my whole life: observing, and trying to capture anything that is beautiful, nice, or interesting, to see how it looks like when photographed. I just liked how the screen illuminated her face, and the lovely expression she had when engaged in a conversation with a guy sitting across from her.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »

Ok... to clarify:

I should have made a clearer thread title: My Attempt at Mimicking Lifestyle Stock Photography. I have no intention of submitting this to any stock library, for a variety of reasons, not the least one would be the lack of a model release.

I did what I do with my photography my whole life: observing, and trying to capture anything that is beautiful, nice, or interesting, to see how it looks like when photographed. I just liked how the screen illuminated her face, and the lovely expression she had when engaged in a conversation with a guy sitting across from her.

I don't think anybody took you to be be thinking seriously about submitting it; as with much here, pics sometimes open the door to some verbal entertainment which is a huge relief from watching tv or one's feet, though I have to say, the ability to see them, the feet, shouldn't go unappreciated.

If anything, and certainly for me, stock is a mild red rag, not that I still think of myself as any sort of bull, minor or otherwise. Mostly, I feel amazed everyday that though I have almost nothing vaguely important that I feel I should do, it still takes me all goddam day to do it.

An interesting fact: I posted two A3+ prints in archival sleeves to an address in London today. I'd thought of using a tube, but that would have required removing the prints from the safety of the sleeves, and they look much better in them anyway, being printed on matt paper. In the end, I had the local hardware store cut me two sheets of thin plywood, and they made the perfect sandwich for the pictures. Postage from here was thirteen euros, more or less. All in, wood included, it came to about fifteen euros, which is not bad at all, especially if prints are at a good price point. Mine were a present, but for anyone doing it professionally, I would think plywood offers more safety than cardboard. Clearly not news either, but at least isn't fake.

Rob

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »

An interesting fact: I posted two A3+ prints in archival sleeves to an address in London today. I'd thought of using a tube, but that would have required removing the prints from the safety of the sleeves, and they look much better in them anyway, being printed on matt paper. In the end, I had the local hardware store cut me two sheets of thin plywood, and they made the perfect sandwich for the pictures. Postage from here was thirteen euros, more or less. All in, wood included, it came to about fifteen euros, which is not bad at all, especially if prints are at a good price point. Mine were a present, but for anyone doing it professionally, I would think plywood offers more safety than cardboard. Clearly not news either, but at least isn't fake.

Rob

That's a cool idea, Rob.  The marketing guy in me says that if you, say, burned/branded a logo or a signature into the wood cover, then boxed it up that would be a REALLY nice presentation piece for gifts, etc.   I may look into stealing your idea... ;)

Slobodan - love the processing on the image, really nice "glow" to it. 

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 03:54:20 pm »

That's a cool idea, Rob.  The marketing guy in me says that if you, say, burned/branded a logo or a signature into the wood cover, then boxed it up that would be a REALLY nice presentation piece for gifts, etc.   I may look into stealing your idea... ;)

Slobodan - love the processing on the image, really nice "glow" to it.

James, with my recent luck and sense of awareness, I'd probably end up setting myself on fire.

I'll leave the fireworks to you!

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up