Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff  (Read 4394 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Really Right Stuff
« on: November 09, 2019, 01:42:19 pm »

I am considering a new tripod and have heard great things about the RRS line of gear. But the prices make my jaw drop. What is it about them? Is it remotely worth it? I suppose I can buy one and try it, return it if not happy. But input is welcome.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Really Right Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:47:23 pm »

Hard to know where to start.
Beautifully engineered.
A joy to use.
Properly thought out.
All the L plates and quick release clamps have worked flawlessly. Unlike some ripoffs where you find you can't open the battery door with the L plate on, for example.
I've had the same quick release clamps for about a decade. I managed to bend one, sent it back and they repaired it for a reasonable price. Very happy with them.
I guess I balance the eye watering cost with the expectation that their gear will last and will "just work".
Trying not to sound like a fanboy and failing.  :)

Ray Harrison

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »

I have the TVC-33 tripod and have had it since 2011. Beautifully made, rock solid support and with the bh-55 ball head, it can take whatever I throw at it. I don’t have their gimbal setup, but I understand it’s great. Their l-plates are also beautifully made and fit perfectly across a range of cameras I own.

I also own a cheaper Feisol, which I do like for lighter weight carrying around and also a heavier Pro Media Gear tripod built like a tank, though in the same price range as RRS. I generally grab the RRS.

Great camera and lens support is critical and while I don’t know what number you have in mind for a great setup, RRS gear is more than worth the money. It lasts, is rugged, it provides solid support and is peace of mind when supporting 10k of equipment.

BAB

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:48 pm »

if your using a 35mm or apsc- mirrorless, small camera, small and/or med body size (ex Nikon 850... you know the reports show RRS tripod is rated #2 for vibration, best rating was Gitzo, best rating period is wood. Lots of factors really matter w long lenses, wind, what tripod is sitting on, mirror slap, camera strap hitting tripod from wind. Best self test with out big testing equipment get a laser tape it securely to your lens then aim it where you can see it well at night on a wall tap the tripod, fire the shutter, drop the camera strap against the tripod, raise the mirror all of these will show vibration when the laser stops moving take the image. Another way is to use LV zoomed in you can see the vibration from the wind or above mentioned. hope that helps maybe someone has a better idea.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:05:50 pm »

I have tons of their gear.  Great support, and the gear has always been 100% reliable.  Steep prices but you get what you pay for.  Worth every penny in my opinion.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

azmike

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »

I have used RRS gear for years.  RRS would be my first choice for new support equipment.  They are innovators not copiers. In my experience, their equipment has performed flawlessly.  A-plus customer support.  As Tony said, you get what you pay for.

Mike Coffey
Prescott, AZ

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:09 am »

RRS, they make good stuff but perhaps a bit overpriced. Colorado Tripod Company is new company but I got one of their tripods and ball heads and it is excellent. As stable as my Gitzo for a fraction of the price. They are still a new company so struggling a bit with supply and demand, but worth it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

John R

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:26:14 pm »

RRS, they make good stuff but perhaps a bit overpriced. Colorado Tripod Company is new company but I got one of their tripods and ball heads and it is excellent. As stable as my Gitzo for a fraction of the price. They are still a new company so struggling a bit with supply and demand, but worth it.

Alan
Alan, what size tripod did you get? They have one that is only 4 ft in height. Seems rather small unless you are mostly doing video. And do you think the spring in the leg lift catch will hold up? I have read that these often fail in most tripods with this design. But they sure look promising. I had my old Manfrotto for 20 years, but got tired of fixing it as its parts wore out.

JR
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:59:38 pm by John R »

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:42:51 pm »

I ordered both Colorado tripods and one of their ball heads. I only got the smaller tripod so far, plus the ballhead. The tripod is excellent, but too small for general purpose work. I hope they finish production of their taller tripod soon.

Btw, this site is very useful for comparing tripods and heads: https://thecentercolumn.com.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:47:21 pm by Aram Hăvărneanu »

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:31:54 am »

Alan, what size tripod did you get? They have one that is only 4 ft in height. Seems rather small unless you are mostly doing video. And do you think the spring in the leg lift catch will hold up? I have read that these often fail in most tripods with this design. But they sure look promising. I had my old Manfrotto for 20 years, but got tired of fixing it as its parts wore out.

JR

I got the smaller one which I find to perfect in size. I almost never need a tripod that puts the camera higher than my head, I am 6ft and when I used my Gitzo I almost never extended one of the sections. So to me the smaller Colorado one is perfect. I use their aluminum ball head with it, I really like it, rigid and stable and light weight. I am not worried about the spring, but then I have not had it wear out yet.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Lightsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »

I currently have two tripods from Feisol and one from Gitzo and I sold my RRS TVC-34L as the Feisol CT-3472 that replaced it is better in every way. The RRS is a well crafted tripod but the design is basic and hardly worth paying 50% more to own. The Feisol has interchangeable plates with a standard one with a hook underneath and another that provides a quick leveling function and a third that incorporates a center column. I can have a regular tripod or a quick level one or one with a center column in seconds. The center column is larger in diameter and much stiffer than any other that I have used. And the Feisol comes with a very good carry case. With RRS all I got was a cardboard box.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 04:41:23 pm »

I had a bad experience with a RRS B55 tripod head. Briefly, I was using it in Nepal with a 500mm lens. I was tightening the head down so that is was steady, and I could photograph a Crested Serpent Eagle perched in a nearby tree...the head never completely tightened down...and then broke apart in my hands. Luckily I caught the camera/lens before they hit the ground. The ball head had been working fine up to that point, and I had owned it for about a year.

When I returned to the USA I contacted RRS - they knew about the problem with some of their ball heads. Apparently there is a type of glue used inside the ball that can decay (or fail) so that the ball head comes apart. Who knew there was glue in a ball head? I learned something...But my question to them was that if RRS knew there was a problem with some of their ball heads (well the glue in some of their ball heads) - why not let folks know what serial numbers or what year(s) of ball heads might be affected? I almost lost a $5k lens...

The long and short of it was that yes RRS could repair it if I returned it paying postage both ways. I could not find my purchase receipt/bill of sale - even though this was a RRS caused problem, they had me pay for everything...

I went on the internet looking to see if others had the same problem. I found one other person - this was several (five?) years ago. So I am happy that the problem is not widespread, but RRS could do better outreach to its customer base on this...

In the course of my research of the glue/ball head problem, I ran into some troubling info about RRS that I have discussed here and on other venues. While they were based in California, their owner(s) Mr. Joe and his wife were financial supporters of a Proposition in California to deny equal rights to all members of the community, namely members of the gay community. The Proposition on the ballot they supported financially would have prevented legal recognition of same sex marriage. Thankfully that Proposition was defeated...but I still wonder why be against rights for people? We've come a long way as a society on this matter - great. But I have yet to see RRS management or their owners make a statement that they have changed their stand on the matter. As a result I refuse to purchase RRS items, preferring instead other manufacturers from Kirk to Arcratech to Hejnar...

Ultimately I can use any equipment well so long as it does not fail or is not too terribly made.

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

mistymoon

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 10:59:06 pm »

RRS recently moved to Utah, supposedly because they could have a larger factory for less money. Apparently RRS is also in the firearms accessories business: here is a link to a sniper website that addresses the move: http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/really-right-stuff-moving.6872487/. I think I need to take a shower after reading the comments on that site.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 11:45:11 am »

RRS recently moved to Utah, supposedly because they could have a larger factory for less money. Apparently RRS is also in the firearms accessories business: here is a link to a sniper website that addresses the move: http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/really-right-stuff-moving.6872487/. I think I need to take a shower after reading the comments on that site.

And your point is? 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 01:50:05 pm »

And your point is? 

Rand
I got the point
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »

RRS recently moved to Utah, supposedly because they could have a larger factory for less money. Apparently RRS is also in the firearms accessories business: here is a link to a sniper website that addresses the move: http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/really-right-stuff-moving.6872487/.

All the more reason to buy RRS.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

liking my Gitzos....(although love the RRS mounting plates).
Geoff

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »

All the more reason to buy RRS.

All the more reason not to. If they aimed their gun-related stuff to hunters, OK. But a sniper is a person who kills people from a distance. So someone will use RRS gear to conduct a mass killing. Whoopie. RRS is off my list.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:15 pm »

Top notch company, great workmanship. I don’t care a whit about the politics of the RRS owner. And RRS customer service over the years has been outstanding in my experience. Recently a gasket on one of the twist knobs came off. They shipped a replacement knob to Iceland free of cost.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 12:01:08 pm »

I have three of the BH55 Ball heads, two sets of legs and various L pates.

These are the best ball heads. Had a Foba ball many years ago that was just as costly and it always jammed, particularly in the cold. Have seen other various top brands do the same along with many stories to the same effect.

My BH55's have never jammed and stay smooth. About 7 years ago I had one on a RRS pod fall off a cliff while hiking in Utah, (no camera attached), and when I retrieved it at the bottom it continued to function as new to this day as well as the pod itself. The finish is buffed but no change in its smooth action.

Like a fine vehicle, the pods in particular may need some maintenance such as cleaning the bushings and new lubrication to keep things smooth. They are often stuck into water, mud, sand, you name it.

Stories of problems with RRS products seem rare.

It is costly and thus not for every ones budget. But I spent as much on lesser pods in total before acquiring my first one so you can definitely argue it is a better long term purchase. A good pod is not like a smart phone or lap top that seems to need replacement and updating on a frequent basis.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up