Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS Catalina Recent Upgrade - Designjet Z3200 - "Filter Failed" error  (Read 440 times)

plasakow

I recently upgraded from Mac OS Mojave to Catalina. Currently running 10.15.

After upgrading to Catalina, I'm getting intermittent "Filter Failed" errors when printing to my Z3200s (I have two). When that happens, the print typically stops mid-print and the printer then advances the paper to the size of the paper specified and cuts (I use roll media).

I print from Preview since it's the only thing I can find that fits my needs efficiently. I typically run 12 or so prints at a time. 

-Printer firmware is fully updated
-I'm using HP Driver 52
-I'm printing over network
-I've tried resetting the print system and reinstalling all printers

I'm still having intermittent "Filter Failed" errors.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Mac OS Catalina Recent Upgrade - Designjet Z3200 - "Filter Failed" error
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »

I recently upgraded from Mac OS Mojave to Catalina. Currently running 10.15.

After upgrading to Catalina, I'm getting intermittent "Filter Failed" errors when printing to my Z3200s (I have two). When that happens, the print typically stops mid-print and the printer then advances the paper to the size of the paper specified and cuts (I use roll media).

I print from Preview since it's the only thing I can find that fits my needs efficiently. I typically run 12 or so prints at a time. 

-Printer firmware is fully updated
-I'm using HP Driver 52
-I'm printing over network
-I've tried resetting the print system and reinstalling all printers

I'm still having intermittent "Filter Failed" errors.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

Lots of suggestions on what you might should have done, such as dual boot Catalina and Mojave as separate OS systems and print from the earlier OS. Another suggestion is to buy a cheap mac or windows machine and do all your printing from that using an earlier driver.

No idea if HP will support the Z3200's using Catalina - all the Z 3100 - Z3200 are now EOL and they really no longer support them.

I have NO plans to upgrade existing machines to Catalina.  If anything, I'll buy a new Mac pro and do Catalina for everything else, or dual boot, etc. 

Have you tried printing out of Photoshop (with an upgrade)?

Wonder if PS 2020 would work?

Good luck-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

johncustodio

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:17:04 pm »

Mark,
"all the Z 3100 - Z3200 are now EOL and they really no longer support them"
I bought my Z3200 at the beginning of 2018 and bought a service contract that expires at the end of 2022. I just spoke with HP's service department and they told me that the end of service date for the Z3200 Rev B is 2024 and that I could extend my service contract for 1 or 2 years after the current one expires.
-John

plasakow

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:52:14 pm »

John, sounds like you have a Z3200PS that were still produced up to about a year ago, if memory serves.

Both of my Z3200s (non-postscript) are some unknown number of years old- not sure how many since I bought them both used. HP will do nothing for me- they won't even let me buy a support ticket. They say they're offering no support on them, full stop.

Between this site, the HP forum, Bob Wertz and the kindness of random strangers I manage to usually find the info I need, although I've had a couple of instances of sequential unnecessary replacement of expensive parts until I finally get to the bottom of the problem.

I plan on running them both into the ground as nothing HP is peddling now is, for my purposes, any better. 

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:14 pm »

I print to my Z3200 exclusively from Photoshop, and have never even heard of a "filter failed" error in 12 years of Z ownership, printing every single day. Have you tried examining reported errors in Console to see if it sheds more light on what the exact problem is?

plasakow

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 08:11:19 am »

Thanks for your input, but you're speaking above my technical wherewithal. The error comes from the HP driver, I think, as it appears in the box that's created if one clicks on the printer icon that appears in the dock while printing.

I'm speculating that printing from Photoshop doesn't utilize the HP Driver (again, this is above my knowledge level) thus the lack of similar errors.

Printing from PS isn't practical for me- I do online retail of specialty prints at volume, and all my print images are 7200x10300. I print at a volume where sending them one at a time to the printer is tedious and time consuming, plus I have to choose which size paper each gets printed on as I either print them full size (24x36) or reduced to 16x24. My workflow is to do a couple of runs every day- like, I'll send 20 prints (all different images) to printer 1 at 16x24 and 10 to printer 2 at 24x36.

I've tried HP Click, PS and QImage but plain ol' Preview is what works best given my particular parameters. I'm always open to suggestions, though. I'm totally self-educated when it comes to large-format printing and I don't know what I don't know.

It's not fine photography. I could get away with a lesser printer but the Z3200s are welcome overkill. Plus, I know how to tear them down, there's a huge online knowledge-base, parts are plentifully available etc etc. 

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 06:24:51 pm »

Mark,
"all the Z 3100 - Z3200 are now EOL and they really no longer support them"
I bought my Z3200 at the beginning of 2018 and bought a service contract that expires at the end of 2022. I just spoke with HP's service department and they told me that the end of service date for the Z3200 Rev B is 2024 and that I could extend my service contract for 1 or 2 years after the current one expires.
-John

Hi John-

I should have said "without a service contract".  I bought a 5-Year Care pack with my last one, so it's good to know 2024 is the cutoff date.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

mfrohman

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 08:29:53 pm »

You might want to look into a software package called ImageNest (https://bluecubit.com). Not sure if it will solve the Catalina woes, but it might an improvement on your workflow. It's $200 and has a free demo for 30 days. Been using it for a few years for a similar workflow as yours.
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800
Pages: [1]   Go Up