Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 update bug and updating monitor calibrations  (Read 1105 times)

Frodo

Windows 10 update bug and updating monitor calibrations
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:13:31 pm »

I've been struggling to recalibrate my NEC PA242W with my NEC puck and Spectraview software. The problem has been the inability for the Spectraview software to replace the previous ICC profile. I tried to delete the ICC profile but got a message that it was being accessed by the "Display Enhancement Service", which I could not disable.
After some searching I found that this is a problem with the May 2019 Windows 10 update.

This is best described here:
https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1847/0/windows-10-may-2019-update-windows-10-build-1903--unable-to-create-and--or-activate-an-icc-profile-in---spyderx-spyder5-and-spyder4

As Microsoft is apparently addressing this bug, I decided not to use the work-around described in this link and will rely on the previous calibration (for a while).

MBehrens

Re: Windows 10 update bug and updating monitor calibrations
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:19:59 pm »

I have Windows 10 1903 and recently used SpectraView to calibrate my monitor and everything went swimmingly.
Have the PA241.
As the Datacolor article says, I always run SpectraView as Administrator. I think that is a necessity, even if the user environment it is running within has admin privilege.

I'm having issues with printing with ICC Profiles. Epson SureColor, with CM turned off in the driver settings and the correct profile selected in LRC/PS (latest CC) it appear as though it is double profiling. I have a topic in this forum that is getting little attention...

Thx.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 11:10:31 am »

I have Windows 10 1903 and recently used SpectraView to calibrate my monitor and everything went swimmingly.
Have the PA241.

+1, in addition I just updated to the newest version of Spectraview (1.1.40 I think) and that went fine other than a bunch of stuff that would not install and I had to click ignore.  Perhaps those were files not needed by Win 10 1903.  Didn't matter in the end.  I also run my PC as Administrator.

Frodo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:17:16 pm »

Thanks for your comments.
Just tried recalibrating before.  The error message is attached.
I was unable to delete the file as it was locked by Display Enhancement Service.
I have Spectraview 1.1.37.  I didn't update previously as the enhancements don't affect me.  Tried, without success to update now. 
I presume I have Administrator privileges on my PC.

This is not a major problem for me as the NEC seems to hold its calibration well.  But if this supposed bug persists, I may need to do something.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:48 pm »

Contact NEC.

geneo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 11:00:54 pm »

I ran into this problem a while back and just disabled the display enhancement service - it serves no useful purpose.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

MBehrens

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:34:48 am »

Having Admin and running an App As Admin are two different things in Windows 10.

Right-Click the shortcut that runs SpectraView.
Select Properties in the context menu
On the Shortcut tab - click the [ Advanced ] button
In the Advanced Properties dialog, tick the Run as administrator checkbox.
Click [ OK ] and [ OK ]

Now when you run SpectraView you will be prompted by the UAC (User Account Control) dialog, confirm that you want the application to make changes to the system.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 07:36:38 am »

Thanks for your comments.
Just tried recalibrating before.  The error message is attached.
I was unable to delete the file as it was locked by Display Enhancement Service.
I have Spectraview 1.1.37.  I didn't update previously as the enhancements don't affect me.  Tried, without success to update now. 

This is not a major problem for me as the NEC seems to hold its calibration well.  But if this supposed bug persists, I may need to do something.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
I think I received an error message such as that one in the past.  I went to Color Management in the Settings and deleted the old profile.  I never received a Display Enhancement locked message.  It might be because I have admin priviledges.  There is a way of disabliing the Display Enhancement process:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-brightness-issue-after-the-1809-update/2a1689ae-5625-4679-9ab7-3f754cb8111b?page=8    Did you try to update SpectraView before starting the profiling process?  If it didn't work you could try to do this manually by deleting the old version and installing the new one.

Frodo

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 04:31:46 pm »

Having Admin and running an App As Admin are two different things in Windows 10.

Right-Click the shortcut that runs SpectraView.
Select Properties in the context menu
On the Shortcut tab - click the [ Advanced ] button
In the Advanced Properties dialog, tick the Run as administrator checkbox.
Click [ OK ] and [ OK ]

Now when you run SpectraView you will be prompted by the UAC (User Account Control) dialog, confirm that you want the application to make changes to the system.

Thanks Morey!  This solved my problem!

This is a great forum !
Pages: [1]   Go Up