Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Nikon S NOCT f/0.95  (Read 4862 times)

John Nollendorfs

Re: The Nikon S NOCT f/0.95
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 12:43:17 pm »

Its winter here, so flowers are hard to come by. LOL. You can see the snow on the ground outside the window of my little studio. A shot with the NOCT95.

I am pretty much done here anyway for now.
Michael:
Maybe it's time for you to travel to warmer climes for winter like Michael Reichman used to do? ;-)
Like your work with stacked focusing!

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2019, 08:57:10 am »

Nikon NOCT95 Lens-Foot Questions

I am having problems with the permanent lens foot that interfaces with the tripod. It seems to have some give in it, but
This is hard for me to evaluate for these reasons.

My house floor has give to it.
The RRS tripod amplifies the shake in the floor.
The tripod head has its own give.
And I am trying to stack.

Quick analysis. I can wait out the floor shake. I can wait out the tripod shake. I tried using the Arca C1 Cube and its main fault as those who use it know is that the spongy knob that allows 90-degree drop is not absolutely secure. I have had three C1 Cubes (still have two) and that’s been true for all three of them.

And so, I switched to my Burzynski “Protec” ball head, which is the most stable head that I have ever seen and that helps quite a bit. However, I still wonder whether I should mess with the foot of the NOCT95. Unfortunately (for me), the lens barrel is huge and if I wanted to “wedge” some kind of brace in the ½” space between the end of the barrel and the foot, I don’t have a lot of room to wedge anything. But would it help?

So, my question is: should I try to wedge something in that short space or trust that Nikon has checked this out and probably the foot is not adding much or anything to my problem?

This only shows up because the helicoid/barrel is so stiff that to move it, even with focus-pull cog band on it, slightly moves the whole lens enough that it affects stacking with a lot of layers. Any thoughts or ideas please would be helpful.

One solution would be to mount the lens/camera on a focus rail and stack that way, but the focus rail is worse for the stacking software than using the helicoid and that process seems like a PITA to have to get used to. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 09:04:24 am »

Without hands on it's tricky to say or recommend but I do know that to dampen vibration it's best to use a high and a low frequency combination, so perhaps something like a medium density piece of foam wrapped around with a layer of rubber.  Both easy enough to come by in a hardware store, and easy to vary thicknesses and wraps to try different combinations.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2019, 09:07:50 am »

Without hands on it's tricky to say or recommend but I do know that to dampen vibration it's best to use a high and a low frequency combination, so perhaps something like a medium density piece of foam wrapped around with a layer of rubber.  Both easy enough to come by in a hardware store, and easy to vary thicknesses and wraps to try different combinations.

My thoughts too, the rubber and something stronger. Does anyone else have the NOCT95 and evaluated their lens foot as to vibrations.

Image wide open, stacked
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:32:33 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2019, 05:34:36 pm »

Not yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

jrp

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 06:22:00 pm »

Michael, if you are playing at this level, you might just as well use the Leica SL Summicrons and the Panasonic S1R / Leica SL2. A 187Mpx picture might whet your appetite.  An f0.95 lens is never going to be as good as an f2.  Laws of physics, etc.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2019, 12:00:21 am »

What if you used a video rig and a focus puller. You get various bits that support the lens barrel and so prevent any movement from the torque applied when moving the focus puller that drives, via a gear, the focus ring.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 02:57:11 am »

Michael, if you are playing at this level, you might just as well use the Leica SL Summicrons and the Panasonic S1R / Leica SL2. A 187Mpx picture might whet your appetite.  An f0.95 lens is never going to be as good as an f2.  Laws of physics, etc.

Multishot and DoF stacking gets to be many images to capture.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 03:48:14 am »

That is tempting, I admit. However, I will stick with Nikon and wait for something like a 60+ MP mirrorless to come along.

jrp

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2019, 09:32:11 am »

Understood. The advantage, for me at least, is the quality of the lenses, rather than the 187mpx, although if you want that I think that Nikon will provide it in a firmware update, I expect.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:24 am »

Understood. The advantage, for me at least, is the quality of the lenses, rather than the 187mpx, although if you want that I think that Nikon will provide it in a firmware update, I expect.

Nikon will provide it in the successor to the Z7 with more MP. I have Leica glass converted to Nikon F, etc. And scores of other lenses, some of which are incredibly good for different purposes.

jrp

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2019, 05:23:15 pm »

Check out the MTFs for the SL Summicrons. They are a fairly reliable guide, in this case. No macro lenses though. I suspect that the f0.95 that you are enjoying is built to similar specs, and so there may be no point in switching if you are working indoors and have no need for portability.

https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposite/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2019, 05:59:56 pm »

I love Leica lenses, but I don't think that any of the current Leicas is at the same level of the Noct.

Cheers,
Bernard

jrp

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 07:05:28 pm »

The tests available from the usual suspects suggest loca is not eliminated at wider apertures (although it's much better than the Noctilux, as you might expect if you relax the size constraint).

I've no idea, however, whether it is better at f2 than the Summicron 50mm wide open, however.

AllI can say is that after have acquired a good collection of M lenses (which I will always keep), they are great for their size, but the Summicrons seem flawless by comparison.

Anyway, I also have a lot of Nikon lenses that I would enjoy more, if I had more time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up