Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portrait Lens for Phase One XF  (Read 1240 times)

tazdog

Portrait Lens for Phase One XF
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:45:21 pm »

Which portrait lens would you recommend for Phase One XF

Mexecutioner

Re: Portrait Lens for Phase One XF
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:09 am »

150mm 2.8 BR

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 06:05:09 am »

The easiest answer is: whichever one you prefer after testing.

Assuming you have a full-frame 645 system (e.g. IQ4 150mp), I'd recommend working with your Phase One dealer to test the following:
- 110LS
- 150/2.8LS
- 150/3.5LS
- 240LS

Personally I prefer the 110 if deep in the field (e.g. 12-hour day shooting a wedding) and 150/2.8 if in the studio because the latter is pretty magical, but is a a pretty chunky lens to be carrying for a long day. We have all of these lenses available to test at no cost in our NYC or LA offices, or available to send to you as a rental that counts toward purchase. We also have a very extensive raw file catalog built up from years of our in-house testing.

Obviously 240 is quite a bit longer than the traditional definition of a portrait lens, but in a blue-sky sense (starting your search broad) you should test it before you dismiss it for this use.

If you're using a crop-sensor like the IQ3 50mp I would add the 80LS and remove the 240LS from that list.

A good Phase One dealer can arrange for you to test any/all of those lenses, and can send you portrait raw files. If you don't have a dealer, and are located in the USA, we'd welcome a chance to earn your business.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:40:12 am »

Phase-Schneider 150mm f/2.8 LS Blue Ring

JKevinScott

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »

I'm a big fan of the 120mm LS Macro for portrait work, and probably use it 95% of the time.  IMO, it's worth checking out as well, although all of the lenses mentioned on the this thread are also fine choices.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 08:45:06 pm »

I'm a big fan of the 120mm LS Macro for portrait work, and probably use it 95% of the time.  IMO, it's worth checking out as well, although all of the lenses mentioned on the this thread are also fine choices.

Ugh! How could I forget the 120LS BR! It wouldn’t be #1 on my personal list, but unquestionably warrants consideration.

tazdog

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:04:37 pm »

Thank you everyone!!

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:02:41 pm »

I love to use the Mamiya 4.5/300 mm Apo (and 2.8/150 LS + 240 LS)

Balafre

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 05:55:53 pm »

Ideally the 150mm f2.8 - especially if it's your core business. Every other portrait option is miles behind it.

The 120mm BR Macro is as heavy as the 150 f2.8, but simply too slow to focus and too brutally sharp - you'll lose too many shots while it grinds it's way back and forth and then have to de-focus the results as I've yet to meet a client who appreciates being so carefully analysed and their every fault precisely recorded. It is brilliant BUT not for portraits.
I use a 150mm BR f3.5 largely because I got for a great price a primarily to use as landscape lens, and at f3.5/4 with a bit of lens to subject distance allows nice narrow dof. But it's not magical - it's very fine, better than expected, but not magical.
The 80 BR 2.8 is eminently usable, oozes competence but also lacks magic.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:59:15 pm by Balafre »
Pages: [1]   Go Up