Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper shortages?  (Read 3745 times)

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
Paper shortages?
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:48:03 pm »

I went to order some paper today and was surprised/shocked to see so many of the fiber-gloss papers are out of stock everywhere.

Moab Juniper Baryta Rag 305 Paper - backordered
Museo Silver Rag - backordered
Hahnemühle Fineart Pearl - More on the Way
Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique - More on the Way

Any idea what is going on?

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
Re: Paper shortages?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:03:52 pm »

Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:35:04 pm »

Most sheets and rolls for the Canson Baryta are listed as in stock here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canson%20infinity%20baryta%20photographique%20paper&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Thanks Jeffrey - I should have been more specific. I was looking for 8.5x11 sheets. Seems like something is going on with the supply chain.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 10:47:00 pm »

Most sheets and rolls for the Canson Baryta are listed as in stock here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canson%20infinity%20baryta%20photographique%20paper&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Data point:  I’m normally a huge fan of B&H, but I’ve quit buying paper from them.  Their shipping department is completely clueless and I’m zero for five on getting paper delivered that isn’t “folded, spindled and mutilated” due to poor packaging.

I really wish they could get their act together on this as I like using them and the tax-rebate system they have in place.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:27 pm »

Data point:  I’m normally a huge fan of B&H, but I’ve quit buying paper from them.  Their shipping department is completely clueless and I’m zero for five on getting paper delivered that isn’t “folded, spindled and mutilated” due to poor packaging.

I have purchased a fair amount of paper from them in both small sheets and rolls and never had a problem.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 08:47:43 am »

Thanks Jeffrey - I should have been more specific. I was looking for 8.5x11 sheets. Seems like something is going on with the supply chain.

I had the same experience last week as I needed more Moab Juniper Baryta sheets so I could re-profile using the new Canon baryta paper setting.  ITSupplies said it's supposed to be shipping in mid to late November.  I also print on Museo Silver Rag but have stock there so I was not aware that one was on back order as well.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:38:05 pm »

We just received an update from our Moab rep that the Juniper line has been pushed back until January 20'.  Must be major production issues as this was back-ordered around September/October.

We have some inventory of the Canson Baryta Photographique 8.5x11 and can get much more from Canson directly.
The Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl is also in stock.  Manufacturer stated they have plenty.

Museo Silver Rag is a little limited, but available between 2 distributors.

This inventory is all based on 8.5x11 sheets.

IT Supplies

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »

We just received an update from our Moab rep that the Juniper line has been pushed back until January 20'.  Must be major production issues as this was back-ordered around September/October.

We have some inventory of the Canson Baryta Photographique 8.5x11 and can get much more from Canson directly.

This inventory is all based on 8.5x11 sheets.

IT Supplies
Not the news I wanted to hear since I have an open order with you for the Juniper paper!!   

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 09:27:44 am »

Not the news I wanted to hear since I have an open order with you for the Juniper paper!!

We completely understand and we were shocked that it was pushed back that far now.  This will most likely be the issue with anyone in the country since it's a national back order problem with Moab.  If you find someone that has it, you're in luck at the moment.

guido

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:17:53 pm »

The Baryta shortage continues! Add Red River San Gabriel, Cranson Infinity Barita Photographique and Epson Legacy Baryta to the missing.

Is there a shortage of barium sulphide? Coating plant disaster?

These are my go to gloss papers... Oh Noes...

BrianWJH

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:55:44 am »

This post has more information about the shortage.

Brian.

guido

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 07:40:31 am »

Interesting. But Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta is showing backordered from several vendors so we might not be out of the woods yet...

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 11:08:56 am »

An update for this thread-
Epson just informed us last week of about 15 papers that they discontinued effective of 2/17/20.  Unfortunately the Legacy Baryta sheets are part of that list and it "may" happen to the rolls, but no word of that yet.  They were all back ordered indefinitely.

It may be from the coating company they used that closed and who knows if they are unable to find another company to finish the process or what not.  A handful of Baryta papers were in the delayed process because of the coating problems; but Moab Juniper is back in stock and Canson's Baryta Photographique II should be available in April.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:55 am »

I just noticed this info on the Red River website for it's San Gabriel Baryta SemiGloss paper
https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/san-gabriel-semigloss-fiber-baryta-photo-inkjet-fine-art-paper.html?search_size=44%20%20%2050%27

In April of 2019, the paper mill that makes San Gabriel announced a "generational change." Such changes are rare and often involve the look and design of the product. Not coincidentally, there was a shortage of a chemical used in the paper's coating, and paper production was stopped. This caused us to run out of San Gabriel by late 2019.

In February of 2020, we received samples of the next generation. The new paper, whose name we have not decided, is not the same as version 2.0. The luster surface texture is now a smoother, slightly pitted surface reminiscent of older darkroom papers. It has a somewhat cooler tone, meaning it looks a bit brighter white. The great news is that profile data shows the new paper has a slightly improved color gamut and dMax.

On balance, we believe the new paper is an improvement. The luster texture of San Gabriel 2.0 seemed too modern for a baryta paper. As a class, baryta products look and feel like older darkroom papers. The new San Gabriel is an improvement in this respect.

An order has been placed with the mill, and Red River Paper expects the new paper to be here and available by the end of April 2020.

I wonder if this means that other Baryta papers will start shipping again soon?

Mike

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 04:47:48 pm »

FWIW, Red River announced Palo Duro Baryta Fiber 300 as the replacement, and as of today they list many sizes, all apparently in stock (see https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/palo-duro-baryta-fiber-paper.html). B&H lists a many baryta papers in stock but a fair number as 'more on the way' (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Sheet-Roll-Paper/ci/1118/N/3752970783?searchWithin=baryta).

guido

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 08:23:59 pm »

I think Palo Duro Baryta Fiber 300 is the re-introduced first gen Baryta paper that was discontinued after San Gabriel was introduced. The replacement is due the end of April.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:17:02 pm by guido »

Rand47

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 09:24:36 am »

FWIW, Red River announced Palo Duro Baryta Fiber 300 as the replacement, and as of today they list many sizes, all apparently in stock (see https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/palo-duro-baryta-fiber-paper.html). B&H lists a many baryta papers in stock but a fair number as 'more on the way' (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Sheet-Roll-Paper/ci/1118/N/3752970783?searchWithin=baryta).

Guido, above, is correct.  The PDBF paper is the old San Gabriel version 1.  In my opinion, nothing at all like SG version II.  I would describe it as lack-luster.  I still have a box of it sitting around somewhere.  I’m hoping the new RR paper (and the others that will no doubt follow; e.g. Canson has announced a Baryta Photographique II coming soon) are as good as the old.  I don’t think this is a “new generation” thing, I think it is a scramble to recover thing.  Sadly.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 06:19:09 am »

Almost all the baryta papers are discontinued, Canson Infinity, Red River, Ilford, Innova, Epson, Perma Jet, Hahnemuhle.. Some papers called "baryta" or "baryta-like" which did not use traditional baryta coatings are still on the market, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, Breathing Color River Stone and so on.

The only paper claim using true baryta coating and did not be affect is Canson Infinity Baryta Prestige. Don't know why. Now the new CI's Baryta Photographique II is shipping. Did not get yet.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr
Pages: [1]   Go Up