Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spreading the seed  (Read 371 times)

Rob C

Spreading the seed
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:08:20 pm »

JoeKitchen

Re: Spreading the seed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:03:52 pm »

Seems like some more lunacy without any evidence. 

I never thought feeding the poor was something to vilify a person over, but I guess times are a changing. 

And insofar as GMOs, please stop the propaganda.  No study has ever shown they are worse for you then heirlooms.  On top of that, they have more bountiful harvests leading to the need for less land and less amounts of forests being destroyed for crops.  They also require less soil aeration, allowing for a greater amount of carbon to remain in the soil then heirlooms helping with climate change. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:31:27 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:20:11 pm »

And insofar as GMOs, please stop the propaganda.  No study has ever shown they are worse for you then heirlooms.

It has always struck me as interesting that many of the same people who (justifiably) complain about climate-change deniers rejecting accepted science also (unjustifiably) reject the accepted science which demonstrates that genetically-modified foods are indistinguishable at a cellular level from traditional hybrids.  If memory serves, the latter idea originated with the French agricultural industry: in other words, "where you stand depends on where you sit."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:55:45 pm by Chris Kern »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:38:49 pm »

It has always struck me as interesting that many of the same people who (justifiably) complain about climate-change deniers rejecting accepted science also (unjustifiably) reject the accepted science which demonstrates that genetically-modified foods are indistinguishable at a cellular level from traditional hybrids.  If memory serves, the latter idea originated with the French agricultural industry: in other words, "where you stand depends on where you sit."

+1

But at the end of the day, both parties reject science.  It happened today with AOC tweeting about the wildfires in CA, blaming it on climate change whereas the real reason is the smokey bear effect combined with artificially redirecting melting snow from the mountains in an unnatural way and it being a dry climate to begin with.  The fact is CA forests are unhealthy due to over growth through decades of preventing fires and tamping down on logging.  It's either you allow fires to occur periodically or allow logging to continue, or eventually uncontrollable fires break out due to an excess of fuel build up.  Personally, I would take the latter. 

(If you dont believe me, look up pictures of forests around 1900 and compare them to todays forest.  Today's are incredibly over grown.)

Last week tonight did a great show on Harry Reid rejecting science to keep the nuclear storage site in his home state from getting approval.  He stated that many scientists did not think it was an optimal site (something along those lines) even though nearly every nuclear scientist stated otherwise. 

I could go on, and of course the republicans have their issues too.  I just point these out since the Dems always like to say they are the party of science.  Ummm no, you're just as political as the rest. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:27:43 am »

Interesting replies; I didn't know photographers today had the same scientific background as the person being interviewed in the video!

My own humble course in photography dealt only with some basic optics, and a minimum of chemistry that hoped to explain how latent images were formed.

;-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:37:16 am »

Interesting replies; I didn't know photographers today had the same scientific background as the person being interviewed in the video!

My own humble course in photography dealt only with some basic optics, and a minimum of chemistry that hoped to explain how latent images were formed.

;-)

Rob, it strikes me that LuLa attracts those who are experts on anything and everything, except perhaps photography!

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:46:11 am »

Rob, it strikes me that LuLa attracts those who are experts on anything and everything, except perhaps photography!

;-)

Indeed, the site has its own fatal attraction for alternative expertise; but hey, this is the age of alternative fact!

;-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 07:29:46 am »

Fair point, but it occurs to me that what lies at the bottom of the criticism is the fear of handing over a little more control of our foods over to Big Corp, who have a long history of not giving a shit about you or me, e.g., bovine growth hormone, utterly unnecessary except to boost profits a bit. All this at a time when less and less oversight is available from underfunded regulatory offices.

It's a bit like social programs. Right-wingers regard any move in that regard as the thin edge of the wedge. So the GMOs. There are harmless (even superior) hybrids, and then there are new breeds of apples that don't brown when exposed to light for a long period of time. Except I might want to know how long the apple I'm about to eat has been exposed to light. And there are who knows what other "improvements" out there, not developed to make food better, or healthier, or more plentiful, but to cheapen its cost (at the expense of other things). And given that some of these changes will be proprietary so that we're not allowed to even KNOW what we're eating, I think it's sensible to be cautious.

When was the last time you bought a tomato that tasted like one? I can only get those from small gardens and local organic farmers.

It's not the hybridization that concerns anyone, it's who is doing it. When Monsanto develops a seed that forces a farmer to buy a specific fertilizer for it, and when the neighbouring farmer can be sued if a seed accidentally falls on his property, and when many states make it illegal for journalists to take pictures on some feed lots, you have to realize that you have to go a long way before people have any trust in the powerful players in this game.

You want people to trust GMOs, it's easy to do, just shine a light on them. Make all the information about them public, not hidden behind trademark and IP secrecy. It's what we put in our bodies, surely that still counts for something.
--
Robert

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:15:33 am »

;-)
The quote of the year.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up