Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With Just a Hint of Autumn  (Read 500 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
With Just a Hint of Autumn
« on: October 29, 2019, 04:17:02 pm »

I went to this waterfall about a week ago specifically to shoot this view surrounded by Autumn Colour and which is exactly what I did as soon as I arrived and just one of those shots is shown in the second image below - there were some lovely skies as well BTW. But after working through my files from that day, I found that I actually preferred this more intimate view of the flowing water at the edge of the falls, with just a hint of the autumn colours in a few fallen leaves that had become trapped - so I went to capture lots of in-your-face colour (at their peak right now in NW Scotland), yet ended up much preferring this more subtle version instead, as shown in the first image.

Perhaps also worth mentioning here, is that the wide view of the falls was me concentrating on getting exactly what I had come to shoot and then perhaps putting all that extra enthusiasm into slightly overprocessing the file. But the second image was at the end of the day and was a sort of absent minded shot of what just happened to be below me. I had put on a 10 stop just for the hell of it about half an hour before and had been shooting the falls etc, but nothing seemed to be working. But just before I began to tear down my kit and head for home, I just sort of randomly framed some rocks on the foreground with a few leaves that seemed to be stuck on them and hit the shutter release, before I then packed up all my gear and walked back to the car. Now the reason I mention this, is because I have done this type of thing before and perhaps you have too? So hopefully you will know what I mean when I talk about about putting all of my effort into concentrating on what I thought would be the main shot (or shots), but then taking a throw away shot at the end of the shoot, that when I reviewed it later on the computer screen, seemed to have whole lot more creativity within it.

So perhaps we should try to think less about what we are doing  :)

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: With Just a Hint of Autumn
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:02:16 pm »

Almost every autumn I experience the same quandary. I get all excited about the fall colors and rush out with camera, and come back with lots of ho-hum shots, so I sympathize.

I do like your "Hint of Autumn" shot a lot, though.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Arlen

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:28:45 pm »

Both are quite fine images, but I agree with you that the first is more unique and interesting. And I've been in that situation many times myself.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 06:21:08 pm »

What a lovely, almost abstract, intimate landscape. And the metal-blue color is perfect.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:39:40 pm »

I like the ambiguous dimensionality of #1.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:17:24 am »

#1 is indeed different from the usual.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 09:03:55 am »

Me too.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »

Thanks everyone and so glad you have enjoyed looking at them ;)

That is such a great description of this image and seems to sum it up so well, so I really do thank you for that  ;) ;) ;) :) :) :)

Dave

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »

That is such a great description of this image and seems to sum it up so well, so I really do thank you for that  ;) ;) ;) :) :) :)

Dave

Well, I get tired of typing "nice shot". But it's a nice shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up