Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Color Casts  (Read 273 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Mystery Color Casts
« on: October 28, 2019, 10:02:53 pm »

Hello,

I am mystified by color casts on some recent prints. Two prints of the same image, a few weeks apart, give quite different results under what I think are nearly-identical printing circumstances. I am using a saved printer setting, so I think print settings are identical.

The attachment 'Screen' is a screen shot of the image from Lightroom Develop Module.

The attachment 'Print1' is a scan of part of the first print. It shows a significant color cast

The attachment 'Print2' is a scan of part of the second print, about 3 weeks later. It also show a significant - but different - color cast.

All three files are reasonably close to what I see on screen or the actual prints.

A few notes:

-Screen is recently calibrated/profiled
-On screen soft proofs are not significantly different compared to the screen shot or when comparing different papers
-Printed on Epson Exhibition Fibre paper using a R2880 printer
-Color managed by LR and yes color management is turned off in the printer driver.
-Nozzles are clean

I did considerable amount of printing in the interim and the only thing I can think of is that some of the inks were replaced between the two prints.

I seem to recall noticing similar behavior when printing low contrast scenes, especially when some of the ink is running low.  Notice that I said 'running low'. I did not get a low ink warning before or after printing either of the images. If the shift can be traced to some inks running low, it begs the question how much ink is not enough.

Any thoughts anybody? Has anybody seen similar behavior?

Robert

Pages: [1]   Go Up