Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography Restrictions in Gion District of Kyoto  (Read 302 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Photography Restrictions in Gion District of Kyoto
« on: October 28, 2019, 08:31:58 pm »

I was rather surprised to read this NHK report of restrictions on photography in the private alleys in the Gion district of Kyoto.  I wasn't even aware that many of the alleys are privately-owned.  For all practical purposes, they serve as public streets.

On the other hand, I suspect there will be few fines levied against serious shooters, who aren't likely to engage in outrageous conduct and, in any event, a 10K-yen fine isn't that much of a deterrent.  My guess is that this is targeted primarily at obnoxiously aggressive cellphone tourists.

Still, it's yet another irritant.

Attached: Alley in Gion, 2017

rabanito

Re: Photography Restrictions in Gion District of Kyoto
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:58:59 am »

Not only there are restrictions on photography there .
Tourists are likely to become a pest. Go to Venice, go to Paris, go to Barcelona etc. Go visit the Mona Lisa...
In Jerusalem in the district Mea She’arim notices are posted by residents near the entrances recommending that visitors turn around: tourists carrying cameras are often driven away. Pictures of the neighbourhood are usually taken with hidden cameras. There have even been cases of stones being hurled.
You should not sit in front of a Buddha statue pointing your feet to it. You shouldn't caress the head of a child in Thailand.

Whether we like or understand these customs or not, I think we guests should behave accordingly.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:05:38 am »

At this time of year, it's getting bad also in Canadian woods.
Groups of walkers dressed in colorful outfits, some adorned with face masks, each carrying a phone on the stick and chasing chipmunks, they can obstruct the narrow forest trails.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:40:03 am »

Come to New York  City and enjoy yourself.  No one will bother you.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 11:05:22 am »

Come to New York  City and enjoy yourself.  No one will bother you.

Hell, yeah! I ❤️ NY:

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:30 am »

I will admit, even in NYC, I'm often self conscious about street shots.  But that's just me. Actually there are so many tourists around, no one thinks much about people shooting pictures.  Even the cops will pose with you.  :)
https://www.nyclips.com/products/police-officers-posing-with-tourist-woman-while-husband-takes-photo-on-summer-day-5th-ave-in-manhattan-nyc

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:07:37 pm »

At this time of year, it's getting bad also in Canadian woods.
Groups of walkers dressed in colorful outfits, some adorned with face masks, each carrying a phone on the stick and chasing chipmunks, they can obstruct the narrow forest trails.

Couldn't resist. 

Leafers
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: [1]   Go Up