Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battlefields  (Read 289 times)

RBFritz

battlefields
« on: October 26, 2019, 07:38:22 pm »

Part of the Little Big Horn battlefield on an early Autumn afternoon. Thoughts?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: battlefields
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:39:56 am »

I quite like it. The crop is rather narrow, though, and what little colour there is doesn't seem to me to add anything useful.

Jeremy

RBFritz

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:56 am »

Jeremy, Thanks for your thoughts on this image.

John R

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 12:50:58 pm »

What I like about this image is that you have processed it to help create a mood and succeeded. It creates a sense of awe between the heavens, the tree of life and the honored dead as represented by the slightly glowing tombstones. Had this been processed normally, I don't think it would work as well. Conversely, the treatment of the sky in normal circumstances would simply be considered over the top, much like the maligned and dreaded HDR look.

JR

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »

Nice subjects, mood/atmosphere, and color tonalities - needs a bit more room on either side of tree though - "breathing room" if you will
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RBFritz

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 03:03:27 pm »

Thank you for the feedback, Gentlemen. John you put into words what I wanted to convey. Walking thru this area the grave markers are scattered along the hills and almost always at least two together. Buddies to the end. Rarely is there a single stone. I forgot to mention the stones are placed where the men fell.Not sure how to put room on the sides.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:57:31 pm »

Wife & I were taking a grand tour by car from South Dakota to visit my son in Washington state.  Several times I've wanted to stop here but the journey was long and time was short, so I didn't.  Finally made the time on that trip and we ended up spending half a day.  I live in a state filled with austere Western landscapes and have become a bit jaded by them, but the Bighorn battlefield had real emotional impact I didn't expect.  I mostly photo'd it using a 4x5 field camera with glass plates (dry plates) and lenses correct to 1870s.  I like the image you came away with too.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

RBFritz

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »

Thank you ,Kent. Hope to see what you saw sometime. Yes it is powerful which like you I didn't expect. Been there twice now and the impact doesn't fade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up