Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 35mm Slides to Digital Format  (Read 1802 times)

Kit-V

35mm Slides to Digital Format
« on: October 25, 2019, 12:42:42 pm »

I hope this is the appropriate sub-forum for this topic. I have several boxes of 35mm slides that I would like to have converted to a digital format. I know that there are several labs that can do this. But can I get a recommendation on who might be able to do this at a reasonable cost?

Thank you.
Falling Fork Photography

Peter McLennan

Re: 35mm Slides to Digital Format
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:50:41 pm »

"Reasonable cost" is a complex variable. 

If you have access to an interchangeable lens camera, it's easy to photograph the slides with a macro lens.  It's easy, fast and the quality can be excellent.

Scanning is labour intensive and takes forever, hence the high cost. Only a super expensive scanner will produce a better digital image than a good camera.

There used to be services available that utilized offshore labour to scan slides, but I'm not sure if they're still operating. 

If you're converting the slides to digital, they probably have some value.  I wouldn't feel good sending my originals overseas somewhere.

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:13:39 pm »

Thank you, Peter. The slides truly have sentimental value. Then the question becomes....is the intrinsic value of the slides worth the high monetary cost of shipping them off to a lab?

However, your idea of simply photographing the slides just might be brilliant. Yes, I have a Canon 6D with a 100mm macro lens. I assume that an illuminated viewing tray would be essential. Unfortunately, mine somehow disappeared when I switched over to my first DSLR. But I am sure there is an alternative that I can fabricate. Of course, please feel free to pass on any thoughts that you might have.

Thanks again!

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:39:51 pm »

I photographed about a 1000 slides over a few nights. I just set up the projector beside the camera on a tripod. I had a remote in each hand. Click projector, Click camera, repeat. I did about 300 per night.

Once digitised and labelled you can decide if any are worth going a step further to scan. Most were not.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 06:46:25 pm »

Thank you, Peter. The slides truly have sentimental value. Then the question becomes....is the intrinsic value of the slides worth the high monetary cost of shipping them off to a lab?

However, your idea of simply photographing the slides just might be brilliant. Yes, I have a Canon 6D with a 100mm macro lens. I assume that an illuminated viewing tray would be essential. Unfortunately, mine somehow disappeared when I switched over to my first DSLR. But I am sure there is an alternative that I can fabricate. Of course, please feel free to pass on any thoughts that you might have.

Thanks again!

Kit

Nikon has this adapter that is designed for their 50mm lens with an extension tube. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37453-REG/Nikon_3213_ES_1_Slide_Copying_Adapter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInNDNtry45QIVFZSzCh3_ZQv7EAQYASABEgJfpvD_BwE

You can check if it can be used for your Canon lens.  Or may be there is a third party one that is universally compatible.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 07:19:00 pm »

i can only agree that to make a photo of a slide with a macro lens is the way to go.

You have to set it up and the lightsource behind the slide has to be have good colour properties. ( stable  and full spectrum - so good led quality or museum grade light))
once that s done it is a matter of labour.

Todays digital camera's  and lenses are so good they easely get all the information out of the slide.

I use a d850 and the 85mm pc nikkor @ f11.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Kit-V

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »

Thank you everyone. I think you are onto something! There are several ideas that come to mind.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

TSJ1927

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 08:58:43 pm »

My approach to film to digital...……………………………………...https://pbase.com/tojo123/image/162598013

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 10:47:51 pm »

A simple flash and diffuser setup would work.   Aim the camera at the flash, once you get the exposure dialled in, away you go.
You can even do focus bracketing for bowed slides.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 11:09:14 pm »

How many slides is "several boxes"?  Are you looking to print any?  What do you intend to do with the digital images?

Kit-V

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 11:46:35 pm »

I probably have about 20 boxes of 140-slide carousels. My plan is to import them into Lightroom, do whatever post-processing is necessary & then either output them to a thumb drive or wirelessly project them onto a smart TV. I opted for the Nikon ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter ($49) which seems to be easily adapted to my Canon 6D w/ 50mm 1:1.8 lens.
Falling Fork Photography

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 12:28:37 am »

I did something similar when I moved.  Especially after the slide projector broke.  I used an Epson V600 scanner and made adjustments with PS Elements and  Lightroom.  I then use PS Premiere Elements to make slideshows with music, titles, credits etc.  My early "shows" were saved as 1920x1080 onto DVD's.  But now with UHDTV, and adding digital movie clips at 4k, I'd make slides to match 4K or the equivalent of 2180 pixels high. (UHDTV's are 3840x2160 pixels) Then store on memory card to playback directly on the smart TV through the USB jack.  I don't bother with DVD's any longer.  If I want other including relatives to see it, I download the video to Youtube.  YOu can set it up so it's private.  That way the public can't see it.  Only friends and relative you gave the access code too.  This is a good method for digital slide shows as well.

You can skip Premiere videos and just make a simple slideshow without music, narrative, captions etc.  And let the TV or other program just show the slides in sequence like your projector use to do.  But frankly, jazzing them up in a video program makes them more interesting to watch before people fall asleep or fake a headache and say they have to go home early.   

One other thing I'd like to suggest.  Although I didn't have as many carousels as you had, I still found the quantity pretty overwhelming once I got into it.  EVen with ICE in the scanners which takes out most of the dust spots left on the images after the scan, there was still a lot of cleaning up to do.  Getting the colors right, exposures, etc became overwhelming.  So I decided to cull a lot of pictures.  I went through each carousel eliminating duplicates, bad shots, and stuff that just did not have to be preserved.  That saved a lot of time.  Film scanners are made to spot out the dust, and even automatically set the colors and exposure correctly during the scan correcting even faded slides if you have them.  I've never done camera copying so others would have to add their comments how to handle that if you use their process.  Whichever process you use, make sure you really review the final result on a dozen or so images.  You don;t want to do the whole batch and realize you missed something important and have to start over.  You'd rather blow your brains out then do that, I assure you :)  It's going to be  a learning process.  Be patient with yourself.  I didn;t get it right the first time and still make mistakes.

Here's a sample of a video I did of 35mm slides.  It's called Scuba Diving Key Largo...  It's one of the first one I did.  SOme       of the white are clipped I think either because of the process I was using or the film exposure itself.  I decide I didn' want to redo everything.  That's why my previous suggestion of getting the first dozen shots a perfect as you can.  You don;t want to re-do stuff.  It's too frustrating.  The other slide shows on that link I used digital pictures and also some short video clips in some also (Fire Academy movie).  But these should give you an idea of the benefits of creating videos of your slide shows.  But you of course have to start with the digitizing slides. Good luck.  YOu might want to post a few of the first dozen to get feedback before you continue with the rest of the scans or duping.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzogShfhgCHh2rVvEsFOJQ

saiguy

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 12:37:34 am »

With a project like this export it to a thumb drive is very doomed. Don't do it. Get a real external hard and export to that. I am speaking from experience.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 12:51:21 am »

+1 Absolutely on the "real" hard drive. 
Thom Hogan says you can get 5TB for $100 now.  That should hold most of your slides.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 12:51:56 am »

Yes of course you have to back it up.  All the slides as well as the video program process is saved on a hard drive connected to the computer.  The memory card is just the final "published" material that is used to show the slides on the TV or another computer.  You don;t delete all the original stuff of the computer and HD backup.  You may want o back it up to a second HD or to the cloud if you have that.  If they're short enough, you could make DVD's to give to relatives or even memory cards which are pretty cheap these days. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 12:55:26 am »

+1 Absolutely on the "real" hard drive. 
Thom Hogan says you can get 5TB for $100 now.  That should hold most of your slides.  :)
Peter's right.  HD's are cheap today.  I'm on my second Western Digital (WD) Passport. The first was 2TB and I now am using a 4TB. It's plug and play and works in the background invisibly.  It plugs right into the USB with no AC power requirements.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Passport-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B01LQQH86A

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 01:23:34 am »

If you have lots of slides, loading them into a camera frame one by one is going to get tedious pretty fast. I have the transparency adapter for my Epson Expression 1640XL (discontinued, but I'm sure they have a replacement) which can shoot 30 35mm slides at a time. The resolution is fine for projection for slide shows, cataloging, etc. and when I have a slide I'm interested in scanning at higher resolution, I load it into my OpticFilm 7600i slide scanner (with SilverFast software) and scan it at higher resolution.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 08:25:06 am »

With my Epson V600  flat bed scanner set at 2400 and 48 bits, it takes about 3 minutes for the scanner to do the scan of 4 slides.  Double that if you're adding ICE for eliminating dust spots.  This does not include the time to prepare for the scan, cleaning the slides, putting them in the holder, cleaning the glass platen, removing from the holder after the scan, scratching your nose,  etc.  That takes another few minutes.  It adds up.   Then you have the post processing time to clean up any dust missed by ICE, tweaking colors, exposure, etc.  If you do video slideshows like I linked to above. that's another ballgame. 

How long does "scanning" take using a camera?

Kit-V

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 09:18:58 am »

I probably should have clarified myself. I will import all of the images from my SD card into Lightroom. The images will remain on my internal drive which is backed up onto an external drive. To display the images on a TV, I will upload the images to a thumb drive. Also, I can give a thumb drive with the images to my daughters.
Falling Fork Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 10:46:13 am »

Scanning slides with a flatbed scannner is faster, but it lacks the dynamic range to get everything out of the dark area's.
The digital camera can do this and you can adjust the exposure (I make 3 exposures -1, 0, +1) to get everything out. Also it has a vey high resolution about 5800ppi for the d850 with a lens that can do the job.
The good thing is also that you never have to scan that slide again because you have all the slide's information.

( and slides change colour after some years- my worst are the ones i framed under glass- Kodachrome is one of the sharpest films , but i mostly used Agfa because i liked the colours best.
With the knowledge i have now i only would have used Kodachrome since you can change colour in photoshop)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:50:41 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up